My experience in Eindhoven first 3 weeks- Debby

Hi Expats

First of all, where are you all?
I have been to the Hub but it was either closed or full of people who did not seem to be expats.

I love the order and calm and peace and security of Eindhoven. I am bowled over hourly that one can leave things and they are still there on return and that one can walk at night without fear.

I notice that things are organised weeks in advance and spontaneity does not appear to be highly prized.

I would love some advice as to how to start up a childrens' activity. My project is called GardenMAD(Music. Art.Dance) My aim is to inspire children to plant food both in pots and in the ground, using the arts to do so. Children in South Africa that take part almost always love the experience. Not sure about how this is seen here in Eindhoven.  Eating food that one grows without pesticides and does not lose its nutritional value through transport is so very important to health. It teaches children responsability and caring and is great fun.

I would love to hear back from the expats.
All the best Debby

Hi Debby,

Gardening your own produce is very popular the last years in the Netherlands. It's a thing that a lot of children love to do, so I think they would love a project like yours.

Just try it out and talk with the people in your neighbourhood about it.
Every year the Albert Heijn supermarket gives away little boxes with soil and seeds. It's very popular and you can use it to your advantage.

Ramses, you have made my day. i thoroughly enjoyed your mail and am heartened by it.  I was getting a bit despondent. I know it is the children that love painting and planting.

Checkers, a South African supermarket also did the seed boxes and it is very popular there too. Perhaps I will contact Albert Heijn.

Wishing you a beautiful day.
Debby