Can i keep my US drivers license?

my wife and i are planning to sell our property in the US and go on extended visit to Salinas. Minimum 6 months, but our intention is for 1 year or more in each place, we get ready to try a new place we will go, be it 1, 2 or more years. At present Cuenca is likely the 2nd stop, then perhaps panama. My question is I guess, from my reading, that I will claim a family members address as my own in the US, but will i need to go there and switch my drivers license before we leave. We do not intend to own a car in Ecuador, but will rent 1 in the US when we come back for a few weeks family visit each year. And thank all in advance for any input.

You can keep it

Thanks Brad. But I think I may have to prove residency to get a DL in either Connecticut or Maryland (where my 2 son's live). And have to go there to get it. Then there are the income tax considerations for one state vs. The other. How do they say it....."it's complicated".
Nate

If your concern is to have a driver's license, you can renew your current one in advance in many places if you explain you'll be overseas when it expires.  Some states used to give an extension by mail, but car rental places don't like those.

If you want to support the fact that you're not a resident of a high-tax state, then yes, you have to go somewhere else (and I don't think CT or MD is one!) that has better rates and get one there. Google "South Dakota Driver License" for the preferred expat solution. You can apparently get one with a one-night motel stay.

I read your reply on SD. I live close by and have relatives there.  I looked on line and you need the hotel receipt plus a piece of mail addressed to your SD adress. As I have cousins there, might have to have them keep that letter. I might just mail a letter to myself at my South Dakota address lol.

Decided to renew our South Carolina drivers license,  is good for 8 years now. Will just claim to have moved if asked about address. Does anyone have experience with the mail forwarding services that give you a street address,  rather than a PO box? How about using that address with social security so you do not end up using an Ecuadorian address and have to come back and prove you are alive. At least that is my understanding!
Thanks