How to obtain a Birth certificate for a child born in Cambodia ??

Our son was born on 17th April and we have tried with no success to obtain a birth certificate.
We were provided at the RPH a birth certificate showing both parents names. Father is Australian and mother is Khmer.
Firstly I want to know if this is an official document that can be used to apply for an Australian visa. I am in the process of applying online for this.

Secondly We have been to my wife's province to add our son to her family book but told since we are not married and also because my name has been written onto the hospital birth certificate this cannot be done?
I am also informed that this has to be done within 30 days from birth but we have had the run around with being told it can be done if we pay for it and then being asked for more money! Now I'm seeking sound advice on this forum

Does anyone have any suggestions that are legal to be able to obtain our son's birth certificate as he currently has no nationality!!

Cheers
SB

Get to your Australian embassy and ask them, they will tell you if you can get a visa for Australia for your son.

They might also be able to tell you how to get a birth certificate although you're very late.

If impossible the only way left is the not so official way.

Good luck.

Joe

I'll share my experience but I am Cambodian American.

Joe is correct.  First go to the Australian Embassy for your visa requirements. But for the U.S., we needed our son's Khmer birth certificate plus have it translated as part of the document checklist.  I'm sure Australia would require the same.

If your embassy defers it back to you to obtain, then the only way is the not so legal way.  If so, the family book, birth certificate, etc. can be done but at what price is where you'll be at. 

Because we knew the sangkat and village chief, it was for very little and I was 6 months late. 

Good luck and have her family start negotiating.  Just remember, if you do try to go above/over the top of the local commune/sangkat it's only going to cost you more.

Hi Joe
Thank you for your reply mate
I did contact the Australian Embassy and they informed me to go to the Sangkat near to the hospital
We went but was told we had to do in my partners province which we had travelled to 6 days earlier to sort.
This person wanted money which was why we were looking for another solution
However the person spoke to this provincial person asking him why he could not do for a foreigner who was not married as he did this all the time?!
His response changed from cannot do to he will have ready on Monday ?!!
Hopefully on Monday my partner will travel again to her province to have a birth certificate for our son ?!
Cheers again Joe
Regards
Steve

Thank you for you reply
I replied to Joe so this will give the status on where we are at
Again appreciate your experience shared
Best regards
Steve

Congrats mate!

Joe