Looking for English Teaching Job

I am a certified CTESOL English Instructor moving to Malaysia this coming October 2011. I am a native English speaker from San Francisco, Ca. USA and I am real excited about the opportunity to work with students in Malaysia. I am looking for work in Kuala Lumpur and I am willing to commute as far as Putrajaya. I have my own residence and transportation, all I'm looking for is employment. Thank you.

Hi d.carroll,

Welcome to Expat-blog! :)

I wish you good luck in you job search.

Christine

Thank you and remember, "In life and in love, there are a limitless amount of possibilities."

Wishing you goodluck in your quest

Maybe you can check out the International schools here. Since you are from USA, ISKL and MKIS runs American system. However, you should check out the Taipei International School, whereby they are in need of good quality English teacher.

Other than a few international schools (providing you have the proper home-country credentials) your best bet is going to be a language academy. 

ELS runs schools all over the country and I remember a training place in KL that you might get TEFL training work at...but Malaysians don't hire expats to work in their government schools.

There is however, a mentor program, for primary schools that is currently in operation.  Three companies have contracts with the MoE to train local teachers in effective primary education TEFL methods.

If you have young learner experience and training experience (though not required) you might check into it.  I do know that there are NO KL-area positions available, at this time.

I've heard of these mentor programs, please send me the details if you have them. :D On the other hand, I found work immediately after I arrived and there are many tuition centers that are hiring. I currently work for a language academy run by a local college and it is mostly government funded. I also do work for a private tuition center on my off hours. I teach students from the ages of 7-52 years old. It's been a great experience and I've thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm currently looking around to see what else is available as I am married to my wife who is from here and I hold the correct visa and work permit. Thanks for all the info and help:)

check the websites of schools in Malaysia and apply first. it is better to get a job first before setting out to travel for work purposes. Better still, you can travel to Thailand. there are more and better teaching opportunities there

^ You must have missed it.

He has a job.  He's married to a Malaysian woman.

Teaching in Thailand is also a major hassle now with all of the new licensing requirements.

Good advice is always welcome on the board...reading the posts before you answer is always a good idea.

Hi,

Are you keen to teach 3 years old kids English through songs,   movements & games ? We are located in Bangsar,

Thanks
Joyce

Hi Joyce - please note that this thread here is a bit old + feel free to post an advert in the Teaching jobs in Kuala Lumpur section :)

Hi joyce , i would be interested , im a primary and middle school teacher in japan BUT will be in KL from the 23rd of july to Aug 25th ....if you need someone for the short term.

Thanks Maxi :)

I am sorry Kyotokai, I am looking for a long term teacher. thanks for your reply :)