Maintaining citizenship on extended stay-Snooky

Hi gang,
will be living on soc sec income plus any income I can find there. I'm unsure as to how to retain me soc sec income while continuing to live in Cambo,or am I not needing to do anything special (keeping permanent res. in US)
  Also,is there a chance of buying used Harley there?

Hi dave gaetke,

Your topic has been moved on the Cambodia forum for better visibility.

Dave - you are about 1 week too late to buy my sporty, but I can tell you about the visa. When you enter Cambodia, ask for a 30 day business visa. After you have been here for about 25 days, go to any travel store, and they can provide all you need. It cost me $290 for a 1 year business visa. That's about the best you can get here. There are no retirement visas that I know of, no long-term ex-pat residence visas either. When you get to town, e-mail me, and I would be glad to help you in any way I can.

Hey Max,
  Thanks for response!What I was worried about was losing my Soc Sec by staying in Cambo indefinetly. My check goes into my bank and I can open debit account there to cash checks,etc.I'll have USA address (daughter) and she can forward mail.I just can't "blow" the SS check.Looks like I'll fly into Singapore and take train to Bangkok(maybe go on to Chaing Mai,Pattaya before getting to S'vle).Gotta finish my lease (Aug) and get wife settled in somewhere. Married 43yrs Aug 13 (10 years prior to "douchebag") and haven't seen enough of world. Wife needs Macy's,Dillard's,etc. nearby. I'll layover in Shanghai 5hrs and get to ride 300+ mph Mag-Lev at airport(doesn't go but 7-8 miles and back)which should be a "hoot!" Saw your weather-rain storms followed by more rain storms. If you can find out about Soc Sec situation it would sure ease my mind. Hell,I paid into it all those years. Should be able to continue 'til I die,huh? I'll let you know my itinery when I put things in order. Always great to here from you!
  Saw a cute item on face book-"Prayer for Grandpa from Grand-daughter"   God, Please help buy clothes for all of those poor ladies on Grandpa's computer. They look cold!! See ya' soon!

Dave
Send me an e-mail, and I'll give you the low-down on SS. I am in the same boat as you, and I'm doing it just fine.

[email protected]

Dave, I've been living in France for almost 20 years and have been collecting my SS direct deposited to my French bank. However, if I were to go to Brazil, I wouldn't be able to do that as the SSA does not transfer money to any Brazilian bank. Expats there have their SSA payments deposited to their American bank account and they withdraw it via ATM's at their Brazilian bank. Talk to someone in the US Embassy in PP to see if they have a person who takes care of SS recipients like they do in Paris but if there are few SS recipients, they may not have that service. Then you may want to write to the SSA in Baltimore and ask them if they can do a direct deposit to a bank in Cambodia. One never loses his citizenship by living abroad. One can lose his Green Card if he doesn't live in the country but a Green Card holder is not a citizen. Good luck. JamesinFrance

Dave
I kept my American bank account and my SS and VA get deposited there. As James says above, you can't lose your citizenship! I don't know about direct deposits to Cambodian or Thai banks, but I don't see why not. I just withdraw funds from my american acct and deposit in my Cambodian account. I take out enough for rent and other expenses, to avoid the $8 charges for international transactions the banks charge. The local banks don't charge for ATM withdrawals.Ive been doing this for a year now with no problems. I've even talked to Soc Sec reps, and they don't object at all!
This should set your mind at ease! Lots of people do it, so don't sweat it! Come on over!

Hey guys, i too am in the SS pot.  You can get your SS dollars sent to Cambodia, but it is a restricted country.  What this means is that you have to go in person to the US Embassy to pick your check up every month.  The one problem with that is, it has to be you, not someone else.

Once you get here, go to the Embassy and fill out the form to have your checks sent here (not while you are in the states).  I got her on 8/14/2012.  Went to the Embassy and filled out the form.  Need to go back on 9/19/2012 to find out the status of the transfer.  In the mean time, i too have mine coming from my account in the states.

Have not received a check here yet, but will post when i get my 1st one and let you know.

Also, to extend your business visa, go to the immigration office across the street from the airport.  Cost $280 for the 1 year extension and took 10 minutes.  They collect the $280 and you need a picture also, then they gave you a receipt that you need the next day when you get your passport back.  The office sends your passport into someplace and has the new date stamped on it.  Very quick and easy.

If you go to the Embassy, check the hours.  very short and not open on Fridays.  I believe they open at 10 -12 and then 1:30 - 3.  Found that one out the hard way.

David.

Dave:  Glad to see you finally made it over here! Good luck, and best wishes getting settled.

Max
thank you.  So far so well.  Living here is a little different than i remember when i was just visiting here.  a lot to take in and figure out when your home is here.
Max, it sound like we have traveled some of the same roads.
I got my "moto" last week.  what a trip driving around here.  Still looking for the "clutch" at times, but getting better at it. Lets try to keep in touch.

david

Hey gang
here is my update about the Soc Sec check.  Went to the embassy as i was asked to on the 19th. was told that now it will take 3 months before my checks will be here.  also told that my account was put on "hold".  told them that i was not told that, but they kept on saying i was.  lost that one. 
Got home and checked my bank account and there it was, my Soc Sec check was deposited in my bank account.  moral of this is, do not believe everything that is spoken to you.  the embassy people really didn't know what was what.  so hopefully next months check will also be in my bank account.  now it is just a wait and see thing and hoping everything works out ok.

I'll give another update next month for us that have the Soc Sec.

David