British citizen living in Portugal — Residency Certificate

Dear forum member,
I would greatly appreciate if you kindly shed some light on the following query please.

I'm a British citizen in Lisbon and about to request for a Certificado de registo de cidadao da uniao Europeia (CRUE) from Câmara Municipal de Lisboa.

I'm economically self-sufficient. Do I need to take a private health insurance before I request for the residencia? Is it mandatory for British citizens to have private health insurance in order to get the 5 year residency certificate?

On the Sworn statement it says, “provided this is required to Portuguese citizens in the Member State of his/her nationality)”.

Many thanks for your time.

For your information I got my 5 years residency in 1hr from the Camara Municipal in Albuferia with just the copy of my passport and my fiscal number. No need for any Private Medical Certificate

Relatively straight forward.  Once you visit tax office then take paperwork to municipal office.  Small charge and they "give" you residency on the spot. If I recall it is a requirement of a other EU country to provide residency upon request.

Hello,
You'll need a health insurance with a minimum of 30.000€ for hospital expenses. Most local services don't request this because they don't know the right procedure, unfortunately. If you need to get assistance from the central authorities (SEF) they will request it.

You don't need private health insurance, you should have a European health card, but once you register in Portugal you have access to the public health system.