Local shopping info

Hi. Is anyone aware of a place in the Nha Trang area that sells common cooking spices, like thyme, oregano, nutmeg, etc? Do any vendors sell spices in an open market somewhere?

May I suggest that you acquaint yourself with what the fresh forms of the herbs you desire look like.   You may have a better chance to find them for sale fresh than dried in the open markets.  Unlike the others, nutmeg, being a ground seed may be available dry.  The oregano you are likely to find may be called Syrian oregano.  It has a fleshy leaf and smells essentially the same as the Italian variant.  Remember that the spice trade of the 15th century was a plan to reach SE Asia by ships as most of the popular spices originate in the region.  European traders dried them to preserve them for transport but many are available year round in Vietnam.

Turmeric is another one.  You are more likely to find the fresh root than the powder.  My wife has taken to replacing fresh ginger with fresh turmeric in her cooking.  I find it a bit strong but am not in a position to change things.  :kiss:

Thanks. I haven't seen many fresh herbs in the markets yet, only fruits and vegetables. Fresh thyme would be fine for my cooking, but I haven't seen it.