Moving on Employment to Budapest

Hello All,

My Name is George and work as Software Architect in India. My company is relocating me to Budapest, but they want me to do the visa process.   I have accumulated some information on this. But my question is how can I have my family [ wife + 2 minor children] also relocate with me. I found we have to apply for family unification visa . Can we do that along with my work visa application ?  Any guidance to a lawyer whom i can hire to complete this. I contacted couple of lawyers, but have not got a reponse from them.

Also is it advised to bring family along the first time. My company will sponsor 2 weeks of accommodation. What are the chances of getting a long term rental  within 2 weeks.

Also , by law does employers have to get the me and my family covered in insurance. In India we are covered by company insurance.

Regards
George

GeorgeVarghese wrote:

My company is relocating me to Budapest, but they want me to do the visa process.

That kind of stinks. The law in complicated, so the company should be helping you. Wanting you to do it alone will cost you a lot of personal time and expense. And your time is worth something -- so the company is "saving their money" by not doing this for you. Are they even compensating *your* time doing this?. If not, sounds like a company operating under bad faith with their employees.

That rant being said...

GeorgeVarghese wrote:

But my question is how can I have my family [ wife + 2 minor children] also relocate with me. I found we have to apply for family unification visa . Can we do that along with my work visa application ?  Any guidance to a lawyer whom i can hire to complete this. I contacted couple of lawyers, but have not got a reponse from them.

Also is it advised to bring family along the first time. My company will sponsor 2 weeks of accommodation. What are the chances of getting a long term rental  within 2 weeks.

Also , by law does employers have to get the me and my family covered in insurance. In India we are covered by company insurance.

Regards
George

The laws have changed a lot lately. And they are constantly in flux. I suggest you contact the nearest Hungarian consulate or Embassy for information. The health care issue is particularly a "detail" that is not clear for many expats. There are some private health care insurances, and you and your family will probably need to show pre-existing and continual private health insurance coverage in Hungary, at least to start, to get residence in Hungary (something your company should help you with, but they clearly seem to have dropped the ball in your lap on that). But over all, most people are covered here under national health -- and you should switch to that when you and your family can. But you can not normally register with National Health until you have lived here a while. But to live here a while, you first need first to prove insurance. Sounds weird? Yes, it is. A real Catch 22.

Thank you very much for the response. Yes the company HR agreed to help with all documentation, like translation from OFFI etc.  What they want me to do is pay for my visa [ charges at consulate] ,air fare ,take a medical insurance and if i need to hire a lawyer that should be done by me as well.  The embassy and consulate seems to be not responding to any emails. I will give a call and see if they bother to answer. Am still getting more details from my HR and will sought your advice . Thanks again for the response.

"What they want me to do is pay for my visa [ charges at consulate] ,air fare ,take a medical insurance and if i need to hire a lawyer that should be done by me as well.  "

Sir, if you're really a "Software Architect" (which assumes 10-15+ years of experience in your proffession, and a very clear understanding of your options), why not go directly to Zurich or London with the same effort for a much much higher quality of life?! If it's just a title given instead of a salary raise, I can understand... Which company is it, TCS, Cognizant..?

Unisys.... Been in London for 2 years. Not a great fan of the place.  At first Hungary sounds like an inferior option, but  from a job perspective  it is very challenging assignment which touches all of EMEA

GeorgeVarghese wrote:

What they want me to do is pay for my visa [ charges at consulate] ,air fare ,take a medical insurance and if i need to hire a lawyer that should be done by me as well.

Normally, if a company relocates an employee, they should pay for that. Or provide flat "relocation" payment to cover such things.

GeorgeVarghese wrote:

The embassy and consulate seems to be not responding to any emails

They probably won't reply to emails. You have to call them or go there.

Yes.. They agreed to reimburse :)

One more question : As far as I read, they have to get a Labour market test done to prove no locals are available for the role.  HR updated today that, since Unisys employees close to 1000 people in Hungary there is an exception for the labor market test. Can somebody please confirm.