Mandatory health insurance for retirees

Apparently this formidable additional expense will come into effect in July (2019).
To be processed at the time of applying for a one-year visa.

Looking at the "approved" health insurance providers, premiums will quickly escalate from about Bt 50,000 a year for a 50 year old to Bt 250,000 a year for those in their 90s.

For myself this is outrageously more than I currently pay for non-subsidised care at a local hospital.

It is also difficult to believe that authorities have found this measure necessary due to foreigners dodging hospital bills; my experience is that hospitals demand a credit card before they will even see you. (never understood how that stands up against medical ethics)

Does anyone have an opinion on how this will hit foreign retirees?
Knowledge of how authorities consulted foreigners for this would also be interesting?

Its going to hit every expat in the pocket if they currently have no insurance and just barely meet the financial requirements for a visa.  The hardest hit will be people that cannot obtain insurance for whatever reason.   Next will be people living on fixed income with increasing insurance cost with age.  At some point some or maybe all will be forced to return to home country.

People that properly planned before moving to a foreign country already have insurance, or are capable of self insuring, will not see much if any change in life style.

Correct. Credit card or cash of 3k for 15 minutes
Baht.to be seen. Mainly dr of a different origin
None Thai... It's very like a hotel  organized.
Then pay then be seen. Watch your credit card go on fire.
I walked out after 15 minutes stating cheep to go home
Travel insure they very frustrating who it is and not accept it
Cheaper to go home was my conclusion.

Does anyone know of a health Insurance that covers someone over 70?

i was going to get 12 month travel insurance before i come would this be consider as covering the mandatory health insurance

I think we have to wait and see how Immigration is going to interpretation the laws/rules.

As once again the wording are "bad" in the Thai version of it.
Renewing is use, And some Immigration "MIGHT" see that for Extension to stay.

Most English news & forum site interpretation of the new law/rules is that it is "ONLY" for NoN OA Visa, And this one we can only get from home country.
I have no idea  how many using this to come and stay 1-2 years as this Visa can be use for, Before one have to return home and start over.
As i never meet anyone that have that Visa.

But i do think it is a bit silly if the new law/rules is only for that 1 Visa.

But if the other site out there are correct that it is only NoN OA Visa.
Then people on Extension of Stay dont need to panic.
Well this time around..

Me, I am going to wait and how the Immigration is going to interpretation this before make some plans for the future...

Kindly.

I have a non-imm O-A visa it states "no of entry multiple" I am trying to find out all the new if any information on this visa, but no one can give me a factual answer only maybe. might and if's.

I have medical insurance from my home country which gives me emergency coverage here for eg Heart attack stroke and accident
If anything else I need to fly home
Had a cancer opp three years ago flew to SA and had the opp there.
Same  for other non emergency problems
Also have some money in the bank here for emergencies.
Have a very good Neurologist who is my Dr here locally and he has indicated he will treat me for most problems at a   very good local  military hospital where he works part time.
Go to him for my annual medical checkup.
All my chronic medicine ,eg blood pressure and Cholesterol medication I collect in SA mostly paid for by the medical fund.

Who are you insured with in Australia? How does it holdup with the government requiring 400000 bath inpatient and 400000 outpatient health visa requirement?

I am from sa.
Will see what the regulations say when promulgated

I'm here on Non-Immigrant OA and have done several Extensions of Stay.
This has certainly been an awakening year.

When I initially applied for this Visa in the US, I simply showed proof of my monthly retirement income.
The recent requirement of no longer being able to prove income and needing a direct deposit  of 65k/month into a Thai bank is a deal breaker for me.  The 800k was never an option I would chose.
If I am to consider staying in Thailand, I will go back to US and apply for a new Non-Immigrant OA.
IF they require money in a Thai bank or direct deposit into a Thai bank then I will no longer stay in Thailand.
Since I have excellent insurance from US that covers me here, I have no intention of staying in Thailand if they require me to purchase another Thai policy.

How this is going to affect other foreigners is something we will all find out starting January. 

Not sure how some are interpreting the Non OA, but from the Thai Embassy a Non-Immigrant is the only listed OA and it's a Retirement/Long stay visa.  Logically it is essentially an Extension of Stay when renewing in Thailand.
IF they are requiring those applying for an Extension of Stay, then things will get very difficult for those that moved here for the purpose of self-insuring on a as needed basis.
Correct me if I am misunderstanding this.

Don't go getting to excited, this is Thailand and so many policies have been suggested but never implemented. This is not law yet and is not even fully defined. If you take out insurance now, it may be the wrong insurance anyway.

There are many reasonable insurance companies around however many do have constraints.

I have no idea where the original poster gets information suggesting this could cost 250k per year. I have been looking for insurance for work and can get 32m Baht nil deductible Asean cover with April for 82k per year, they do not accept applications above 65 years of age, but if you take out below 65 you can keep for life and it never goes to 250k.

World wide excluding USA is 110k Baht.

Regency will give world wide excluding USA with USD1m cover for USD3,132 (91k Baht)

You can also look up Thai insurance companies at the following link.   https://longstay.tgia.org/

Remember the proposal calls for each foreighner, man, wife and children to have a policy so if you fall into this you really are talking of big money.

The are many others if you do some research. But remember don't panic until the rules are set in place.

Great for you, it"s the 65 and over retirees that are having trouble finding Insurance Companies. There are many that cater for the 18 to 65 that are as good, and some that better than the one you are promoting

Hi Barry,
I am not promoting any company merely pointing out what is available. As an example if you look at Thai Axa you can apply up to 70 years of age. This gives the 400k/40k cover presently suggested.

There are many options available, ok not if you are 90 and have serious health issues. I have no idea what you can do then except go back to your home country, which is not so easy for many. I don't have a home elsewhere so this is not an option for me. I am 63.

Wait for the official guidance to be published before making any rash decisions.

As said by Steve wait and see
I am am not too concerned.
I have several friends who will never be able to afford Health Insurance here at their age but two have wifes who can cover them with cash payments of up to 2 million Baht.

Has there been any update on this, I haven't seen a  thing anywhere.

Another point regarding medical insurance, I recently had to get insurance for work and they have excluded all kinds based on problems I had in the past,
A few years ago I had mild hypertension I believe due to getting divorced, mild cholesterol and mild diabetes. My test results last month showed everything in back in the normal range but the insurance will not cover anything related to these issues.

Would the new Thai requirements say I am not adequately insured?

Yes, there are many up to 65 and 70. I am already 70 I have found one or two at a reasonable price. I have heard no more about what the Government really wants so I am sitting on the fence at the moment.

The company I am dealing with have advised the new government policy, which is still not fully defined, is only for people making a new application for an OA visa, not people who already have one and are just seeking an extension, which is my situation.

If this is the case then it would seem they are saying if you already in possession of an OA visa then things stay the same, no retrospective legislation.

Thanks for that information, Steve. That is fantastic news if it is true. I will save the 11000 baht a month that the Insurance company wants for a rainy day.

This new requirement is supposed to come into force in a few days but I have seen nor heard any updates. Has anyone any new formal, not bar talk information?

I checked with the immigration chief of an up-country province; he said "Not yet" which sounded like "Oh , a long way off." Meanwhile, just about every insurance company in the world is advertising to scoop up aliens living in Thailand, you may have noticed.

I have been told that it is only for new application not existing.

I had also been told it was only for new applicants but being Ting Tong Land anything could happen. Lets hope it goes like many ideas here, into the to hard bin.

One thing's for sure ... no-one will be thinking the insurance thing through, Just like the housekeeper's record of alien arrivals etc. BTW, the housekeeper law was passed in about 1978. I was in Bangkok at that time and the place was crawling with Commies / refugees not to mention GIs, all aliens. A real cowboy town when a surveillance law may have been more appropriate.

I am applying for my O-A 1 yr retirement visa in a few days here in Canada. Health Insurance is not on the requirement list.........

Understandable as the ruling/law has not been implemented yet and we all hope it will not be.

Went to Vancouver on the 630am ferry, back home by 1:15....not bad.
Very very good day........ :D:D:D
Have to do it again, in 1 week.
The Thai Consulate is looking at my passport, medical records, police reports, and bank statements...pffft !

As I have said
Wait for the Official proclamation from the Government.
I have found that all the rumours just create panic and bad feelings against Immigration and the Thais.
Here in Thailand rumours are part of many people lives especially some of the bored retirees
I would also suggest that all retirees here have some kind of "backup" and not wait until they need health care
One comment here was that the insurance company refused to insure a person for past  medical conditions and this i have found is a very popular method in Thailand to refuse to pay
I am 75 and no company would insure me this is why i am maintaining my insurance in SA
I have had small medical problems which would guarantee me no insurance here.Eg Blood pressure and Cholesterol
I also receive my chronic medicine free from SA and collect it once a year when i visit and when friends visit me they bring me whatever my daughter has collected from  the pharmacy with a copy of the prescription
Yes now teh pedantic are going to say you can only bring in 3 monts supply at a time
Firstly I have never been stopped at Customs in 18 years .Secondly if I ever am and they then by chance find the medicine and the prescription I will firstly request the head of Customs at the Airport to verify this  and take it from there
I have seen they are very accommodating depending how you treat them
It is all medication I can literally buy over the counter at most Pharmacies here as I have asked Boots
Watsons and my local Pharmacist.
Also see to it that you know where your local Hospital is you would like to go to as well as a qualified Dr who could treat you and get to know him. I go once a year for a medical etc at my own cost and once a year in my home country also
Please do not panic or stress about the so called requirement
Read my other posts