Moving to HCMC... Office in Dist 3... Where to Live?

Hi Everyone! Great to be on here. Looking forward to meeting people and making plenty of new friends when I move to HCMC (I'm currently working in Singapore) in July.

Just a couple of questions about places to live in HCMC. My office will be on Dien Bien Phu in District 3 and my budget for an apartment/house is up to $600/mth. Does anyone have any recommendations for an ideal place to live? I don't mind a little bit of travel but I don't want to be spending half my salary on taxis (or half my time stuck in traffic!!).

I have been to HCMC before (just for a weekend) and quite liked Phu My Hung. How much would it be in a taxi from there to District 3 and how long would it take?

Otherwise, what are the options available in and around District 3? If you could let me know about taxi fares and travel times from any places you suggest it would be fantastic.

Just one more thing; if anyone could share their thoughts on living in an apartment vs living in a house in HCMC it would be greatly appreciated as well. Cheers!

Hi!!

There are lots of apartments walking distance to your office. District 3 is quite convenient for living also, many restaurant, supermarket and shopping malls are nearby. You can google for some websites offering available apt for rent.

But bad news is the apt rental fee is expensive here. You cannot expect much with USD 600.

SimmoTheAviator wrote:

have been to HCMC before (just for a weekend) and quite liked Phu My Hung. How much would it be in a taxi from there to District 3 and how long would it take?

Taxi from Phu MY Hung to d3 all depends on time of day, but minimum 30 mins and around 120-150,000 vnd (roughly) with the reputable taxi firms.

d2 would be a better place for commuting there, and you will be able to find apartments out there within budget. (100m2 2 bedrooms new build) down side is your commute to d1 is about 20-30mins again depends on time of day etc

I'd probably look at getting some local help on finding accommodation and can put you in touch with some if needed who will help with your requirements, just pm me.

Have you consider motorbike? cheaper and easier to get around. Get a good xe om to do the driving if you dont fancy it yourself.

How long are you coming for? considered sharing ?

Thanks for the replies so far... much appreciated!

I've been looking around on Google Maps and a few websites and it looks like the Binh Thanh district is not too far from work. Saw a few ok apartments in my price range on a couple of sites too. How's life in that area of town?

Is HCMC like other Asian cities in that the prices for apartments that you see on Expat sites are often a bit inflated? Would be great if you could put me in touch with anyone you know in the Real Estate biz :)

Looks like it's going to come down to a choice of living further from work for a bit less (but making up the difference in taxi fares) or living closer to work in a more expensive place. That's cool, I don't mind making that decision, as long as I end up with something decent :) I'm not looking at sharing though; for less than the price I pay for a room in a shared apartment here in Singapore I can get a whole flat in HCMC... woohoo!!

TBH I'm a bit wary about the motorbikes after some of the accidents I've seen when I lived in BKK and China. Even here in Singapore there are lots of bike accidents, and in my weekend visit to HCMC I saw 2 separate motorbike fatalaties :( am I worrying a bit too much? Do tell me if I am ;)

Perhaps I'd be best off renting a place in town for 3 months or so and using the time to look around for the right place for me? Are short-term places readily available? I'll be in HCMC long-term (a few years at this stage) so I've got time on my side in that respect.

Binh Thanh district is quite nice, a lot of expat teachers live that way for the very reasons its slightly cheaper. And arguably on the right side of Saigon bridge.

Prices are inflated for expats but tbh you take that in your stride as the salaries more than compensate the offset.  In most cases anyways.

Taxis' from there would be approx half the cost of d2 or phu my hung

You could in theory rent a room(shared house but comfortable) in d1 for a month(or longer) when you first get here, that's probably a good idea. That way you can get to look around a bit more and find your ideal location.

Regarding motorbikes your right there is a risk involved, I don't think its as bad as BKK though, can't speak for china. That said the fatalities are high more so outside of town than in it. In the city it's more than likely going to be a low speed crash so a few bumps n scrapes, maybe a break if your really unlucky. I've been riding bikes for 30years so I accept the risks involved for the freedom it gives me.

I will say I have in the time I've been here taught a couple of people to successfully ride motorbikes here, both of whom had no prior experiences prior to here. Bot of whom enjoy riding around and both have been in small collisions, but it has not put them off riding here.

BUT you have to do what your comfortable with :-)

Well, you are right. 2 options for living here, stay nearby with more expensive apt rental cost or a bit far with cheaper apt but spend more on the transportation cost and travel time.

1st option: the apartment in the downtown area not far cheaper than SG (I lived in SG before and just came here 3 mths ago). 1 bedroom service apt can cost you about USD 900, 2 bedroom apt (no service) costs you about USD 800. Those are not top class apts (top class apt can cost about USD 2200 for 2 bedrooms).

2nd option: traffic is terrible here. 40km can take about 1 hour plus :(

Jesia had much experience with District 3. Yes, if you get apartment in Binh Thanh, Phu My Hung, you will pay a lot of money for that fees and why you do not pay it for a little expensive to stay near you office. Of course, you'd like to stay place quite, bigger with kitchen or something else but you will not enjoy it better if you stay your home. I absolutely recommend you to stay near your office which there had a lot of hotel, restaurant and place to relax as Ky Hoa Park, Cinema, Theatre, Massage, Spa... I saw in "Cao Thang hotel quận 3 on Google", there are many nice hotels, high recommendation offer for long term stay with many special offer as pick up, drop off, discount more. So i think you do not think about nice place to stay and will be headache about traffic jam on the way back from the office. It look like cheaper, quite and it is not really like that, at the same time you will pay more for that.

Hopefully, you will choice the best way in your Ho Chi Minh city.

I have got a beautiful flat with balcony, natural light, 40sqm, at 190  Nam Ky Khoi Nghia street, Ward 6, Dist 3, Ho Chi Minh City. I'm going to for rent my flat on July. From my flat to Dien Bien Phu street, Dist.3 is very short, just only 5 minutes for walking. Opposite supermarket Co.op Mart Nguyen Dinh Chieu. Next to tower Sherwood Residence. My flat is good fully furnished : air conditioning 2 horse , wood table, wood chairs, wood bed, cable TV, internet..., kitchen with fully furniture: microwave, fridge..., bath room with hot water, washing machine. Located in good place in center city,  very nice and green area, fresh air, extremely nice view, quite and safe place for stay. Fully water and electric.
The price renting is 700USD/month, including free internet, cable TV, water. Not including electric, the electricity price is very low. You can live here as long as you like, when you leave just give a month notice.
If you need some infomation when you living in Ho Chi Minh City, I can help you.
If you interest, please call me for confirmed Ms Phuong( 0084) 1667814895; or
(0084)(08)39306873 ( I'm owner )
Or email at [email protected]

Phuong Nam.

Hi Phuong Nam.,

Please post your advert in the Ho Chi Minh City classifieds > accommodation section. Thank you.

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for all the helpful responses! I'm really happy that I'll be able to come over and start my life in HCMC with a lot of information.

I've been looking around and I can see there are a few options on some websites for smallish (35-50 square metres) short-term apartments between $400 and $500 a month around Binh Thanh, District 1 and District 3. I think that's the kind of thing I'll look at so that I can give myself some time to get things sorted out and find somewhere more permanent. Cheers for all your help and advice :)

Hi,

I am from Singapore, just relocated to HCMC about 1 month. There are several times you have to be extremely careful about when renting an apartment without going through an agent. NEVER TRUST anyone, read the contract over and over again. Try to negotiate the deposit to 1 month(you might not be able to get back). If you are not sure whether you're gonna stay here for long, ask for a shorter term like 6 months. Maybe you can even state terms like if you need to leave the country before the contract ends, they still have to return the deposit to you with 1 month notice.

D7 is way too far, its a very nice and clean district, but its not Vietnam. D1 and D3 is the best for you. I am staying in D4, takes me about 15 mins to my office in D3. D4 might not be the most glamorous district, but there are lots of new apartments and much cheaper. For 550usd, you can get a 2 BR apartment and bigger. It really depends on what you are looking for. Price like 600USD in D1 or D3 can probably get you a small apartment with less than 50msq.

Again i would like to stress on, DONT TRUST ANYONE!! haha..Take care pal.