Working holiday visa conundrum

So i have a bit of confusion at the moment.
i have a 6 month working holiday visa, obtained in Australia.
i only plan to work about 2 of those months.

It says online you need to apply for a Permesso di Soggiorno within 8 days of arrival, but ive arrived in sicily for a few days but planned to leave again for 2 weeks until my employer is ready for me, then i was going to head back to Catanzaro, the provence i plan to work in and apply for the PDS once ive arrived back in italy.
will it be an issue regarding the 8 days? I went to an immigration office or the Questura here and they said I just had to sign a form stating my arrival but didn't actually give me a form.
Also in Australia the Italian consulate representative informed me that I had to let authorities know when i arrive within 8 days and I could do that in any province. But hadn't really provided me with the information I need even after a few emails.

but online the Permesso is such a grey area some says you need to do it immediately some say it doesn't. just wondering if anyone had some information or advice

Hey
What happened here I'm in a similar situation? cheers

Hi there and welcome.

I am also an Aussie who has been here now for a little over two years. I understand from others that some applications of the rules will differ between regions and provinces. In my case when I arrived with my work visa and attempted to register at the Anagrapha they told me to come back once I had my actual Permessso Soggiorno. Once I had applied, I took the receipt for the application from the Questura but this too was not sufficient. In the end the actual card took over six months as it took five months to get an appointment to have fingerprints done. Only once I had the physical card would the anagrapha allow me to register my address. The 8 day rule seems to be very loosely applied in this circumstance. The problem for me was that without a registered address it was impossible to open a local bank account or buy a car, meaning that it was over six months before I could begin work, even though I had a work visa.

Be warned, it is a pain!!