Gifts for new business prospect

Hi all,

After some specific advice about gifts that are appropriate for a first business meeting.

A little back ground - I am an Account Executive (APAC/MEA) for a software company in Australia and will be visiting Vietnam on holiday soon - have been introduced to a local (HCMC) company that we are looking at partnering with so have arranged a visit with them for an hour to show our products and discuss next steps.

We have gifts that we give to new customers and prospects but the ones I usually use are nice quality Pens in a branded Black box - the pen is not quite black but close to it - Thoughts?

Was also considering Tim Tams (Australian Biscuits covered in Chocolate).

The host of the meeting is an Operation Manager (female).

oh yes one more thing - will wearing an expensive watch be considered OTT and frowned upon or seen as a symbol of success ?

Thanks for any advice.
Stu

Stukky wrote:

Hi all,

After some specific advice about gifts that are appropriate for a first business meeting.

A little back ground - I am an Account Executive (APAC/MEA) for a software company in Australia and will be visiting Vietnam on holiday soon - have been introduced to a local (HCMC) company that we are looking at partnering with so have arranged a visit with them for an hour to show our products and discuss next steps.

We have gifts that we give to new customers and prospects but the ones I usually use are nice quality Pens in a branded Black box - the pen is not quite black but close to it - Thoughts?

The host of the meeting is an Operation Manager (female).

oh yes one more thing - will wearing an expensive watch be considered OTT and frowned upon or seen as a symbol of success ?

Thanks for any advice.
Stu

I don't have any advice for you.

Just want to welcome a first time poster who knows how to write well.

😎👍

Stukky wrote:

Pens are good.  They'll be used for their purpose, or being kept as status symbol (if they're good pens), or being regifted.

Stukky wrote:

Tim Tams would be forgotten as soon as the last bar is unwrapped.  No one will remember the gifts or the gift source after that.  Beside, Australia is an easy destination for Vietnamese not only for the easy distance but also for the simple fact that many, many, many Vietnamese have close friends or relatives living there.  Not many people are unfamiliar with or excited about Tim Tams anymore.

Stukky wrote:

will wearing an expensive watch be considered OTT and frowned upon or seen as a symbol of success ?

No, it's not.  Symbols of success are always admired. 

My nephew was given a watch (among many other gifts) by his subordinates at one of his several retirement parties.  A good watch is the expected send-off, and as he's well-loved, no one was surprised when the watch was Rolex Submariner Date.  He wears it every now and then while sitting on low chairs at sidewalk cafes (he's not a show off, but told me good watches need to be worn to stay in tip top condition).  The residents and businesses in that ward are used to the sight.