Accommodation in Canada: scams you should look out for

Hi,

Committing to renting or buying accommodation when you're new to or have not moved to Canada just yet is always a stressful endeavour. Would you like to help us in putting together a handbook of what to look out for when house hunting in Canada?

What are the most common scams in Canada?

What are the red flags to look out for when scanning through adverts?

Is there a list of registered or accredited landlords or real estate agencies in Canada?

What authorities should be sought should one come across an accommodation scam?

Please share your experience,

Bhavna

Hi Bhavna , look for a Real Estate agent who can help you and they are with brokerages.
As for scam, the chance of being scammed is very rare here especially you hire an agent because they are licensed to work ethically and professionally. Moreover they know the market because that's what they are trained for..  if thing goes wrong you can go to his or her company for further inquiries. Check their name on company website . For example if you goggle Rai Goba which is me on Royallepge realestate service Ltd brokerage you can see my name .

Hope it will help you
Thanks

Hi Rai938, thanks for the advice! I wonder if there are any big names that we can start the search on? Online resources tend to suggest plainly going to craiglist. This is actually the first time I come across a suggestion to look for real estate agents.