How to exchange British driving licence for French

Hi all,
What is involve in exchanging a British driving licence for a French one?.

Hi,

Do you really want to do that ? ...

Does my UK driving license allow me to drive in France, should I proceed to the exchange and if so, when?

With BREXIT withdrawal agreement

- The withdrawal agreement does not contain any provisions on the driving license. However, it provides for a transition period.

- During the transitional period, European rules continue to apply in France and the United Kingdom: there will be no consequence on driving licenses.

- After the transition period, three cases deserve to be distinguished depending on whether you travel in France as a tourist or resident:
1) If you reside in France, specific and reciprocal provisions will further specify the terms of exchange for UK license holders residing in France
2) If you are a tourist in France, you can drive for the duration of your stay with your driving license obtained by examination in the United Kingdom. International driving license is not required if you have a translation of your driver's license
3) If you intend to settle in France, after the transitional period, your British driving license is recognized on the French territory during the period of one year, but you must request the exchange within this period

Without BREXIT withdrawal agreement

- There is no transition period in this case and the conditions specified below depending on whether you are traveling in France as a tourist or a resident apply from the date of implementation of BREXIT:

1) If you reside in France, specific and reciprocal provisions will further specify the terms of exchange for UK license holders residing in France
2) If you are a tourist in France, you can drive for the duration of your stay with your driving license obtained by examination in the United Kingdom. International driving license is not required if you have a translation of your driver's license
3) If you intend to settle in France after March 29th, your British driver's license will be recognized on French territory for a period of one year after the acquisition of your principal residence in France. You must request the exchange within this period. Specific and reciprocal provisions will further specify the terms of this exchange.

- If I exchange my UK driving license for a French license, can I drive to the UK or recover my driving rights in that country? There is no answer to this question today. It depends on specific arrangements to be made by the United Kingdom or possible reciprocal provisions.

- If I exchange my UK driving license for a French license, can I drive in the other EU member states? The French driving license allows driving in the member countries of the European Union.

- During the transition period, your UK driving license will allow you to drive in the other EU Member States.

- On the other hand, after the transition period, or if there is no withdrawal agreement, if you hold a British driving license and wish to go to other Member States, it is recommended that you take the attachment of these.

- Indeed, each Member State of the Union is sovereign to decide on the rules applicable to the recognition and exchange of driving licenses with third countries to the European Union.

What parts are needed to obtain the exchange of my British driver's license?

- Cerfa form n ° 14879 * 01 completed and signed (the mobile phone number and / or the e-mail address must be mentioned)
- Cerfa form n ° 14948 * 01 reference 06 indicated and signed
- Original driving license
- Proof of identity
- Proof of address
- Proof of the regularity of the stay in France (temporary residence card, residence card, multi-year title ...)
- Proof of residence in the United Kingdom at the date of issue of the permit unless you hold only British nationality (at least 185 days in the calendar year of obtaining the permit, with personal and / or professional ties)
- Certificate of rights to drive less than 3 months from the UK authorities to verify that you are not subject to a measure of suspension, withdrawal or cancellation of the right to drive; the certificate must be accompanied by a translation by an authorized translator
- Official translation of the driving license in French, either established in France by an authorized translator, or a translation established abroad legalized or apostilled
- 4 photos (including one on each of the 2 cerfa forms)
- If you live in Corsica or some Dom (Réunion, French Guiana, Martinique or Mayotte), the amount of the regional tax is addressed by check to the order of the manager