Possibly moving to Yanbu

Hi all.  My husband has been offered a job with Parsons in Yanbu.  As of now, we wouldn't be living in a compound, but in the Royal Commission in a neighborhood.  That part there worries me.  We have two little girls (both under the age of 5).  I'm concerned about safety.

And in general, I'd just like to know a little about what daily life would be like.  (and I already know all about "women can't do anything")  I want to know from those of you living there.  I respect the Saudi life and I'm not worried about following the rules. 

I want to know if we are making a good choice in this major move.  We've been looking at it like a great adventure.

Any advice, tips, etc. would be welcome.  As well as info about what I can and can't bring from my own home.  (we live in California) 

Thanks!

Safety wise, I think that Saudi is one of the safest place to be. Well at least I feel that way. and Yanbu is considered a really great place to be for a family. There is a large if not a majority, an expat community and the Royal commision housing are known for a really good standard of housing being provided.

But if you have some specific qs on living in Saudi, Pls, do ask. lots of ppl to help you out.

Hi Hagen1213!

Welcome to Expat.com!

Armand

Thank you both for replying.  One question I have is...is there anything for me (as a woman) to do aside from the mall and restaurants?  Are there workout facilities for women? 
What about my little girls, are there activities for them to get involved in (gymnastics, music lessons, etc?) 
People here in the states are so uneducated when it comes to life in Saudi and the hardest part for me is moving to a place I know so very little about.  It's scary.  I'm excited at times and nervous as all hell the next. 
Am I allowed to bring books with me from the states?  (fictional books that i love to read)  or is the content monitored?  What else will I be required to leave here?
Thanks for any help with all my questions!  :)

That is NOT good.

Yanbu was the site of a terrorist attack in 2004 in which Americans were killed. The trial of those responsible has just now started, and with Osama Binladen being captured, the security risk is high.

Why on earth are they not putting you into a defended compound? This seems very strange. There are two defended compounds in Yanbu where all the Americans live. These are Arabian Homes and The Cove. Both have pools, gymnasium, supermarket etc.

You need to check this with them very carefully. NOBODY western who works for a reputable company lives outside of a compound.

In Simple & short, It is the safest place at present, I am connected to Lawyer community, and in my daily routine i met people around the world who use to visit KSA for Business Registeration, Saudi Arab Is a place where one can feel comfort, and my dear as no human being can be perfect, so all places u should see in that way, their will be more good and little against your choice This I am sure, wish u all the best.

Well honestly if you check the stats, saudia is the most safest place on earth.
am sure you'd do just fine in yunbu. Try to socialize more with people who live in western compounds and hang out in compounds.
Imagine you are 14 again on summer break and need lots of activites and hobbies to kill your time.
Best place and best time to upgrade skills, knowledge, Stay fit and healthy and enjoy family life. I know a lot of people who drive to egypt's border and all so you may wanna look into options like going abroad over weekend too.
We're from Khobar and we usually go to bahrain over weekend (20 mins drive).
There they got clubs, bar, movies theaters, malls... you name it and it got it...

Hi all.  My husband has been offered a job with Parsons in Yanbu.  As of now, we wouldn't be living in a compound, but in the Royal Commission in a neighborhood.  That part there worries me.  We have two little girls (both under the age of 5).  I'm concerned about safety.

And in general, I'd just like to know a little about what daily life would be like.  (and I already know all about "women can't do anything")  I want to know from those of you living there.  I respect the Saudi life and I'm not worried about following the rules. 

I want to know if we are making a good choice in this major move.  We've been looking at it like a great adventure.

Any advice, tips, etc. would be welcome.  As well as info about what I can and can't bring from my own home.  (we live in California) 

Thanks!

Hi HAGEN 1213,
Your original post is relatively current and I was wondering if you managed at all to find any info. on activities for you and the kids in Yanbu. I'm asking because I recently moved here, with the plan for my wife and 2 young kids to join me hopefully in the next few months. My wife's a lttle worried as there seems to be a very small number of western expat wives and children and she's not 100% convinced that it's a good idea, even though she'd like to come and experience it all etc etc. Obviously for me I would rather my family was here with me and so I'd be interested to know ANYTHING that might help my cause and help my wife feel more comfortable. Thanks in advance for anything you can pass on (if you came in the end)?!
:)

Hi helscot,  just wanted to let u know that I sent u a private message, so be sure to check there.  :). Sent u my email so we could chat privately.  Thanks!  :). Also, I can get u in touch with my husband.

Hi HAGEN 1213,

Thanks for the reminder - saw the message and will get on to PM'ing you this weekend :) (Saudi weekend)
Speak soon and I'll try and give you as much info as I can for now...

Hello friends,

Around 3 months before i cracked an interview of Parsons Ltd. and got selected for Yanbu, Saudi Arabia. I got the offer letter from parsons which i was supposed to sign and submit back with certain documents within one month. I submitted all the necessary documents (Like My Original Degree Certificates) which i was supposed to submit well in time for processing my Visa, but it has been over 3 months now and i am still waiting for the visa and still they are saying that it may take some more time to get your visa done.
Now i am concerned about this job because i have already resigned from my previous job and at present i am jobless and am very upset regarding. Can any body guide me regarding.

Hi imgentlehere and welcome to Expat.com!

You may start a new topic on the Saudi Arabia forum as this is an old thread.

Thank you.

Hi, so how did the move work out for helscot. I am also considering traveling to Yanbu? Any advice/recomendations? i am also wondering if imgentlehere ever received his visa?

Hi... I'm a Malaysian. My hubby just got a job
offer in Yanbu. We are planning to accept the offer.

Which will be a better school for my kids, YIS or Kenz?
They will turn 12 and 11 this year.

Are women allowed to work and drive there?

Please give me some insides on the living conditions
there.

Thank you
AK

Hey there !

i would like to welcome you all to K.S.A And i know it is so late but if you still here please fell free to ask anything (i guess you've got it all covered by now) I wish you haven't left yet :-)

Yanbu is a great place. I used to work there in Royal Commission.
Have your husband call me at 732-549-1429. I will give him my views. Thanks-nasim

I am originally from from Florida, USA.  I am a mom to three children and married to a wonderful husband.  My husband who is a planner just received a job offer from Parsons, and we are considering a move to Yanbu.  I will only be able to take two of my children, which will be very hard.  I feel that this move will be an excellent oppportunity for my family.
I was wondering what type of activities my children would be able to be active in.  I am also wondering how far (in miles) will be malls and Western type of stores from Yanbu.  I hear Yanbu is safe, but doesn't have a lot to do.  Also worried about what I can bring with me to this country.  My family and I are catholic and my husband has a cross tatoo on his upper arm.  Will this be a problem?  Is there a strict dress code for my three year old daughter, or can she wear whatever? 
I want to feel good about this move. I would like to hear from anyone that has lived here, and what their experience was like.

@beauchemin79 Your husband's tattoo will be fine, so long as he keeps it covered in public/at work. Many Western expats have tattoos, but only allow them to show at compounds.

You do need to be careful with religious tattoos of any sort as some people do live to be insulted and it can go rough for you if they decide to complain. See (2 years ago):

http://www.asianews.it/news-en/Riyadh:- … 22872.html

Just keep it covered and he will be fine.

Your daughter can wear whatever she wants (within common sense, naturally). Wearing abaya/hijab at that age is cultural so you may find some little girls in them, but it is not required. Most locals don't make three year olds wear them. Girls don't tend to wear abaya until they hit puberty or teen years.

I don't know anything about Yanbu so I cannot help there. I can say it is not as bad here in Saudi as people will have you believe. I enjoy myself and my kids like it.

You may also wish to start a new thread as this post was started two years ago and many people may not see your post thinking it is a reply to the original poster.

:cheers:
I am interested to learn and improve my english language , do you offer private classes?
Good luck ...  :shy

Hi Misbaza,

Welcome on board :)

Please note that this discussion is a bit old :)
Feel free to start a new thread with all your question on the Saudi Arabia Forum for better interaction !

Also I suggest you post an advert in the Language classes in Saudi Arabia section please as it might help :)

Thank you

Maximilien

Hi. I am new member to expat.com.  My husband was working in Yanbu Saudi Arabia from 2013 thru 2016.  We would go back.    Did you ever get to Yanbu?  We liked living in a regular community. Hubby worked for Parsons.  Our neighborhood was across from YIS international school. Quiet but small and really amazing group of ladies from all over the world.  Did you end up going and what did you think of your experience?  I did not think it was very good for school age children, especially if they were girls.  Most of the expats were in their 50's so that was not a problem.

I'm living in Jeddah since 2009. I've been in Yanbu Royal Commission. There are many friends of mine. Hope you are enjoying there.

Hi,
This is the first email I've had to say somone has written, since writing the original post quite some time ago.
So yes, we did get to Yanbu back in 2011 and are still here over 6 years later!
In the beginning it was good, we had many friends and hung out a lot with the Parsons crew but things have changed a lot over the years. Since our original friends left we generally keep ourselves to ourselves and the time ticks by regardless but time is ready for a change!
Our kids also attend YIS but it's closing after the year end in 2018!! The other schools aren't an option for us so one way or the other we're out of here next year. There's talk of a new school taking over and keeping the YIS name but who knows who it might be...
So yep we need to move and have been trying to move across to the east for a while now, but keeping the faith that we can get there early next year.
Yanbu is Yanbu and nothing changes for expats no matter how much money they spend on the infrastructure.
A lot of expats seem to have moved out already due to the ongoing Saudization but Parsons still ongoing and the last I heard they were discussing moving Western employee families into the Cove. Only discussion mind you so it might never come off but with the school closing who knows what the choices will be for expats.
So if you're thinking of coming back my only suggestion is think very carefully and with the school issue waiting until next year might be a better choice as the school issue may be sorted out by then...
Whatever you choose, wishing u well 👍😊

Hi. My only child is college age so school is not a problem.  Some teachers at YIS were great but some awful and I saw many kids suffer, especially in the older grades.  My husband worked for Parsons as well. Environmental, at RC.  He had gotten offer in Jubail but with housing allowance not company provided housing. Housing is almost impossible to secure on your own for many reasons and so we came back to US.  We would love to get back to Saudi.  Good pay, great travel opportunities etc.  Weather hotter and ore humid in east (if you can believe that) but as you know we spend most of our time indoors so why not.  What department did your husband work.  Maybe they knew each other, although my husband did not work with any Westerners.  My husband there Jan 2013-Jan 2016.  Like most ladies, I came and went.

Hope to hear from you. 
Regards,
Julie

Hi,

My husband has been offered a job in Yanbu, are there any facilities for expats to swim? We currently live in Jeddah and there are many gated beaches where expats can swim freely.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks, Lauren

Hi Everyone - I am possibly moving to Yanbu with my wife and 1 year old kid from Canada. Working for Parsons (SAPL) - I am wondering how are the living conditions there - especially housing? Parsons is offering housing in the city. I heard from someone that some of the older houses contain asbestos and the houses are not well maintained.

Does any one have sample picture of the houses they live in provided by SAPL/Parsons?

Hi, we are living in "The Cove" compoumd. I can recommend this for you. Like a non muslim to live outside is really heavy. Especially in the City, you need to check the RC=Royal Commission. But by the quality of the houses you need to complete forget the western style.

Do you work with Parsons? Because I heard parsons do not provide compound

No, I am not working for Parsons. But really out of a compound here in Yanbu you will stay very short. And really not for family outside. But this is my point of view. In the compound is a bit better. Have a freedom. Here you have everything in one place. Gym, pool, small shop, small restaurant.  You, and your wife can wear what you want...

I have been offered employment with Parsons Middle East in Yanbu and Jazan as Senior Urban Designer and am looking for more updated information on the Parsons Compounds for families I Yanbu

You can contact me on my LinkedIn account number :
stephen-forrest-***

Moderated by Bhavna 4 years ago
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct