Where to live: West, South or East? Looking for a 3 months housing!

[b]As a family of six (children age 10 to 16) we will be moving to Mauritius this summer 2019. Currently we're trying to figure out where to live and finding suitable accommodation. Our budget is not unlimited, but still we are looking for a quiet place close to the sea and preferably in lush nature. Any advice on where to look? We've found some nice houses in Tamarin and La Gaulette, but are a little bit afraid of the amount of tourists closer to Flic en Flac, and another one close to GrisGris, but maybe the sea is too rough for the children to swim? Eastern Mauritius might be an option too, but I know little about it. If anyone has a house available from August to November, let me know too, please! ****

Moderated by Diksha 4 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum for safety reasons.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Tamarin and La Gaulette are very quiet compared to Flic en Flac actually and Tamarin has some of the best house listings for someone looking for a place close to the sea and nature and also has very good infrastructure and other facilities.

If not Tamarin and Albion, I would suggest you look at Albion which is located north of Flic en Flac. Beautiful area close to the sea and quiet.

Gris Gris is not for swimming.

Eastern Mauritius has some good areas like Roches Noires, Poste Lafayette and Belle Mare, etc but they are located quite far from most towns, urban areas and business which are mostly located on the central region and the West and Port Louis.
Commuting even with a car can be problematic.

Katrien, Roches Noires is a lovely place to live as a family. I would recommend and accommodation with swimming pool is available. Transport can easily be sorted.

Why would you recommand it? Since the North and Center is more crowded, I thought South would be nicer to live, away from the crowds... Do you have a specific accommodation in mind? Thanks!

Much of the Southern coastline is rugged and has no coral reefs meaning there is no beach or calm water for swimming or water activities. There are beaches only around the southern extremities but housing options are limited and they are located far away from the main clusters of the island where most of the schools and other amenities are located.

If that's not an issue for you, then there are integrated living complexes near Bel Ombre and Le Morne and on the other side, nearing the South East, you have Blue Bay and Pointe d'Esny.

Do you know if there are any safety hazards in the South, or anywhere else on the island?

Mauritius is small so one area does not differ much from another. Safety hazards exist like anywhere else. You just have to be on your guard and take some simple steps to avoid bad situations.

Roches Noires is a very very quiet place. It is in the North East of the island and has traditionally been used by rich mauritians for secondary properties. This is where they go on holidays and wind out when everybody is going to Pereybere and Grand Baie.

It is very exclusive...

Than maybe it's not for us, since we're on no unlimited budget. Wild secluded nature is more our habitat than fancy upperclass towns...

There is nothing fancy about it.  The locals themselves are mostly fishermen and housemaids but the area is still wild, quiet and protected.

The good thing is that there's a great public transport facility  to the capital and the North beaches as well as accessing the East coast like Ile aux Cerfs. But anywhere in Mauritius is beautiful and people are so helpful.

Sounds good!

Moderated by Priscilla 4 years ago
Reason : no free ads please + post your offer in the housing section

@priscilla..

If I don't post on Katrien's post she won't know that there is a reaction, right?

I have read well the forum code of conduct. I didn't make a new thread to advertise but answered a question of the topicstarter here.

That said, I will contact her through other means.

Hi, I live in Roches Noires. If you are not using public transport is nice quiet place. The sea is somewhat good , can swim with shoes for swimming otherwise I wouldn't recommend it. If I was choosing now I would choose PEreybere or Belle Mare. No way in the south there it is colder. Roches Noires is nice if you work from home or near by. Otherwise the transport is hell.

I totally disagree. I've seen living hell for the past 12 years. People are mean and rasist  especially if you are white you are not one of them   and the last bus for coastal area for Roches Noires goes at 17:00. Buses go in 40 minutes and sometimes they don't come especially on weekends. It is quiet but the sea is not that good for swimming.

Its Racist. Not Rasist. Some People are racist everywhere. Accusing "people" of being racist when they just don't like you is a form of racism in itself.

Don't bother, Sablo, I can read through the prejudices. ;-) And I'm sure I'll experience a marvellous stay wherever on the island!

It just galls me. I've been here for 6 years, I have never lived in such a multicultural peaceful place. I wouldn't trade it for anywhere else. Takes about a year to understand it, but it really is special and the people here are wonderful. Top spot. But like anywhere common sense prevails.

Moderated by Bhavna 4 years ago
Reason : Please drop an advert in the housing section.

Hi Soonita, nice to know, but we need at least 4 bedrooms. Our boys are 10 and 16 years old and putting them in one room is a very bad idea for keeping the peace within our family :-)
But thank you for the offer, when and where will you go abroad?

undecided,as iam retired and free/ bye

sorry,didn't said: USA

I just left a 4 bed house in trouble aux biches. With a nice size pool. Still vacant 35k mur per month. I have the landlords no. He was always very good. Lived there 2 years. Morc ash viva.