Returning to Philippines to Get Married

Hi,

After 58 days with my GF island hopping in Visayas, I am looking to return to Ormoc to get married, and want to know the process for getting married in the Philippines, going from a Tourist Visa to a 13A  Visa, and whether the Balikbayan Stamp would be of any use if I stay in the Philippines.

I would prefer to make as few trips to Manila or Cebu as possible to get things in order.  Any suggestions as to how to make this fairly painless?

Also, after getting married, I would like to return to the US for a visit.  Is the I-130 process fairly straightforward, and can it be done in Cebu, or do I have to do it in Manila?

Is there anything else to consider?

Congrats on your impending wedding.  I got married in Ilocos Sur in 1994, so I don't have any current info for you.  Do you expect to live full time in the Philippines?  You could do the BB thing if you enter the country with your wife.  A honeymoon in Hong Kong or Singapore would allow you to reenter and stay for a year with no other immigration work to do.  I am sure she would prefer to be married in the Philippines, but if you want to bring her to the USA count on the process taking at least a year based on current reports.  Good luck.

Thanks.  Her family is enormous, and she would want them  to celebrate with her.  Is the I-130 process without much of a wait?  I know the K-1 process can take 18 months or so.

I have some medical test this week coming up, and I may elect to have some minor surgery performed before scheduling to return.  Airfares have gone up 30% since I booked with Philippine Airlines.  The direct nonstop flight from JFK to MNL was actually nice.  I didn't want to have to change planes or have a bunch of layovers.

We are taking that flight JFK to Manila in October, was less than $500 each one way.  Good idea to have medical work done before your return.  What is the I-130?  If that is the fiancee visa, the last one I know of was about a year ago, a PA guy took about 6 months from filing until his future spouse got the green light.

You will require only one extra document before you begin the process of obtaining your Philippine marriage license .   That is your 'Legal capacity to marry' which you can obtain at your embassy here in the Philippines.  I have found that the procedures and paperwork necessary to get married varies greatly throughout the Philippines.   Makati might be one of the toughest places to receive all the documents and go through training lessons, whereby Masbate might be one of the less stressful locations.  These procedures are somewhat similar to Philippine Immigration rules.   There is one set of rules, butt how they are enforced or applied can vary greatly throughout the Philippines.
Now, once all this is in order and before you sign the final marriage documents, check very carefully that the names are spelled correctly and birth dates are entered correctly.  This sounds elementary, but for some reason, more couples have been caught up with overlooking errors in these documents.  Why this is so, I do not know, but It can take months to correct these spelling errors!
Take the honeymoon to a  place like Bali where only a passport is required, but be sure to take your marriage documents with you.   When you re-enter the Philippines, you can request the Balikbayan  stamp for your passport, which is free and you are good for a 1 year stay in the Philippines.   Under existing rules, you may repeat this procedure as many times as you like.   You can also apply for a voluntary ACR I card.  Google this at the Immigration website.
In my opinion, the 13A visa is expensive and a 'pain in the butt' to obtain.  I have one, but, knowing what I now know, I would stick with the Balikbayan stamp if you plan to travel out of the country each year.  With the 13A, you are also charged an exit fee at the airport each time you take a vacation!  I was shocked to see this.   After you obtain the probationary 13A, and you get  'permanent 13A' it is still only good for 5 years.   There are other retirement Visas, but that is another story.
Obtaining a Visitor Visa for your wife to enter the US, is different than obtaining a  Visa for any other country.   The initial application process is on-line and very simple.  However, she will need to appear for a personal interview at a specified date before a US immigration lawyer at the US embassy.   Here is where most visitor applications are denied !   Your wife will need to convince the interviewing officer that she will actually return to the Philippines and have proof in hand.    The interviewing officers are well trained professionals.  They have heard all the 'stories' before.   There is on-line YouTube discussions on this interview process.   I will advise anyone to research this information extensively before attending the interview process.  It took my Philippine wife 3 attempts before she obtained her 10 year, multi entry US visitor visa !    She was totally unprepared for the interview on her first attempt.
Hope this helps ....    :)

Thanks, Bob this is really helpful. I plan to live in Palawan as I have really fallen in love with the place, except the heat, but that is everywhere I guess. I live in Australia on a British Passport. I will get citizenship this year I hope after 55 years I guess it is time.

Take care and thanks for the information.

Steve

question
Will the Bureau immigration in Makati !
help people to get there life stay in philippines..
As My Philppina wife and I are pensioners ...

Regards

You can get your permanent resident in the Philippines in 2 ways,

Either by getting married to your wife and after that you applied for 13A which you will be given a year probationary and after the expiring of the probationary, you will get your permanent resident.

Secondly is through SRRV retirement visa.

You can contact me if you need more assistance on these.

Cheers!!!

supremejoseph
getting married to your wife and after that you applied for 13A which you will be given a year probationary and after the expiring of the probationary, you will get your permanent resident.
I thought it was three years then you can apply for  permanent residency ?

regards

Permanent residency with a 13A  still requires you to  undertake a renewal process after 5 years, so I guess it is not really permanent by definition.    In addition, you will still need to submit an annual report fee at the beginning of each year that you are a resident here in the Philippines.

Curious about the ACR-I card. If I return to the US for a visit, then return, is the card still valid?

Yes, it retains its validity until it expires in a year no matter where you've been. I got my ACR-I card over a year ago, didn't get the plastic until I returned almost a year later from Canada. Even if it expires, you can still use it as valid ID of your status with the country.

Bob604 wrote:

Permanent residency with a 13A  still requires you to  undertake a renewal process after 5 years, so I guess it is not really permanent by definition.    In addition, you will still need to submit an annual report fee at the beginning of each year that you are a resident here in the Philippines.

Actually, it's the ACR card that needs to be renewed, not the visa.

You get a year probationary, which after it expires, you will get your permanent resident visa and your ACR Card will be renew every 5 years.

moonunit0103 wrote:

Hi,

After 58 days with my GF island hopping in Visayas, I am looking to return to Ormoc to get married, and want to know the process for getting married in the Philippines, going from a Tourist Visa to a 13A  Visa, and whether the Balikbayan Stamp would be of any use if I stay in the Philippines.

I would prefer to make as few trips to Manila or Cebu as possible to get things in order.  Any suggestions as to how to make this fairly painless?

Also, after getting married, I would like to return to the US for a visit.  Is the I-130 process fairly straightforward, and can it be done in Cebu, or do I have to do it in Manila?

Damn, somebody got hooked quick. Hehehe...  Why the rush Unit?? Would you marry someone within 58 days of hanging out in your own Country?
I'm not trying to disrespect you here Bro, just a bit concerned at the speed of this. Why not slow down and live here with her for a while before making that leap. The longer you're together, the newness wears off and the real person comes clearly into view. Not saying that she would be any different 6 months or a year from now but, why rush?

Based on my own personal experience I would totally agree with the above comment.

Tim_L wrote:
moonunit0103 wrote:

Hi,

Damn, somebody got hooked quick. Hehehe...  Why the rush Unit?? Would you marry someone within 58 days of hanging out in your own Country?
I'm not trying to disrespect you here Bro, just a bit concerned at the speed of this. Why not slow down and live here with her for a while before making that leap. The longer you're together, the newness wears off and the real person comes clearly into view. Not saying that she would be any different 6 months or a year from now but, why rush?

I'm not sure he said he only knew her for 58 days. He very well may mean that there trip was for 58 days.

I found her on FC after getting my passport and 1 Year multi entry Visa, and I chatted up several women, but wanted to meet her first..

So , you've known her in person for a total of 58 days. ;)

I got married last year in the Philippines.  First you need your legal capacity to get married in the Philippines from the embassy.  By appointment only. If you been divorced bring your certified copy.  For prof . Our process took about 3 weeks to get married.  Between paperwork and  1 class you have to take.  As far as the I-130. That has to be done in the states. Unless you stay in the Philippines for 6 months first. Congratulations on your up coming marriage.  I am actually moving to the Philippines in several months

Does the US Embassy require certified copies of the decrees? 

How is married life treating you?  My GF lives with her parents in a pretty large house and stayed with them for 2 weeks, which was fine, but may consider renting a house for more privacy.

Yes certified  is required.  I been married almost 1 yr now. Been there 4 times. It's been a blessing.  I will permanently move there in August.  We have a place in cavite Philippines.   We pay 5,500 peso monthly.  My wife's family and i get along great as well.

Cool. I went ahead and got certified copies.  My GF is in Ormoc, and her family is fine with me living with them in their 4 bedroom house, but I might want a water heater for a hot shower, as well as AC for the common areas. I am not sure if I can tolerate the heat and humidity.

Have you learned Tagalog?

Besides legal capacity to marry document and divorce decree document you may find you also need a copy of your birth certificate.

OK. Guess I had better get my things in order.

Do yourself a favor. Live with her 2 or 3 years before applying the ball and chain.  Then if you must be married, take her to the states on 90 day fiancee visa.... Dragging an already married Filipina to the states is a more difficult way to go about it. Under no circumstances marry in the Philippines. More men have been burned than survived marriage to these women

Thanks for your frankness. I am flying back Sunday for a 6 week visit. I guess I got anxious, due to her being denied a tourist Visa. My tourist Visa is a One Year Multi-Entry good until November.

I got my Certified Divorce Decrees and an Embassy appointment for an Affidavit, in case I want to marry at some me later time. Having a 13A Visa would simplify things, but may present a bunch of problems, as well.

I am having Cochlear Implant Surgery in US in August, with activation in September, and adjustments for several months afterwards, so it might be a while before I can return.

moonunit0103 wrote:

Thanks for your frankness. I am flying back Sunday for a 6 week visit. I guess I got anxious, due to her being denied a tourist Visa. My tourist Visa is a One Year Multi-Entry good until November.

I got my Certified Divorce Decrees and an Embassy appointment for an Affidavit, in case I want to marry at some me later time. Having a 13A Visa would simplify things, but may present a bunch of problems, as well.

I am having Cochlear Implant Surgery in US in August, with activation in September, and adjustments for several months afterwards, so it might be a while before I can return.

So it might be a good idea to get the visa process started for your future wife this trip.  No matter how you do it you will be spending at least 6 months waiting for the final paperwork and ok to proceed.  She would probably prefer a Philippines wedding, but fiance` visas are usually a shorter wait.  Good luck.

DON'T marry here in Phil's!

I don't really understand the logic of “Don't get married here in the Philippines”? What's the difference? The Philippines accepts divorces of Filipino's married to foreigners - so what are people implying is the Difference? If you obtain a divorce overseas, the Family Law Courts in the Philippines accepts these and they are recognised.

Expat IFA wrote:

I don't really understand the logic of “Don't get married here in the Philippines”? What's the difference? The Philippines accepts divorces of Filipino's married to foreigners - so what are people implying is the Difference? If you obtain a divorce overseas, the Family Law Courts in the Philippines accepts these and they are recognised.

With the added advantage of having the wife's friends and family witness and participate, while in the USA she would be on her own.  Often she gets married in a church she has attended for her entire life.

Yes. That's an ‘advantage' - I'm on about the comments saying  ‘do NOT get married in Philippines',etc...

The only downside that comes to mind is that it takes longer to get a relative into the US then it does to obtain a fiancé Visa.

Expat IFA wrote:

Its not automatic......Your foreign divorce papers have to be judicially recognised in court. That can take anything up to 18 months depending on the court backlogs and cost you another arm or leg..Please correct me if I am wrong. I have my Australian divorce in hand..All kinds of Red Ribbon,  green ribbons, registered in the Manila Civil registry. They reckon I still gotta take it court...That aint gonna happen any time soon...