Land Purchase: Requirements and Insurance

Planning to move from London to Mauritius in few months time.
Would ideally like to buy a land near Port- Louis and build a home .

Have approached few banks who are willing to finance the project but are insisting on a insurance policy against cyclone and other damages,but is it required for buying land only.I would have thought insurance would be required for houses not land.

Is port-Louis safe and generally are there any crimes which are not reported.

There are restrictions on the purchase of real estate by foreigners in Mauritius. If you are a foreigner, you cannot purchase land everywhere and Port Louis is one example.

You can only purchase land in large scale development program  such as the 'Smart City schemes and Property development Schemes.

Hi Winston,

Forgot to mention my wife is a Mauritian national who is a dual citizen of UK.
As we have no family there we really do not know  how the system works, specially my wife who has been away from Mauritius since last 17-18 years.We plan to move to escape the rat race here in london.

I have visited mauritius several times and one think strikes me as to the red tape in the government offices which is very rare here in UK.

What areas are generally safe for expats as schools and crime will be our major concern.

Port Louis is definitely not an expat favorite when it comes to buying properties.
Either way, it is already highly densely populated and congested and land is very expensive and scarce as it is the economic and administrative capital of Mauritius.

Most expats in Mauritius live on the West coast and in the North which are the touristic epicenters of the island.
There are quite a few private English ad French schools in the West.

Some expats who work inland live in Ebene and Moka which are located in the central region of the island.

Thanks for your input Winston.We are looking in Coromandel, which is very peaceful as compared to Port-Louis or atleast that is what i have been led to believe.I have met quite a few expats who are actually living in Port- Louis and they share the same opinion as you that good schools are near west and north.Also there is going to be a highway in the next few months directly from Coromandel to Bagatelle which will hopefully cut the journey times.As the property prices are going to peak i would like to purchase now rather than later at inflated price.