Health and shots coming from US

My wife, me and two young teens are coming to the lower Central Valley for two weeks in June. The CDC says we should get Typhoid, Hep A and B shots. I have friends that say no need they have been to CR and never got them. I would like to know for those of you that liver there, what is you opinion.

One has to ask the harm in having the shots.
Given the risk is zero but the potential gain is massive, it would be daft not to have them.

Not  required.

Do you live in CR? If so, you live there and don’t get the shots, I come for two weeks and get them makes no sense to me.

You don't need them. BUT I believe anyone who travels to developing countries - or about anywhere really - should have the 3 you mentioned.

They never ask for proof of vaccinations to come in although right now there is a measles problem  so maybe they might ask for proof of being immune?

2019 Measles problem in Costa Rica
and
Proof of measles immunity

Plus rabies and tetanus are always good to have here.

"The CDC recommends “all children get two doses of MMR (measles-mumps-rubella) vaccine, starting with the first dose at 12 through 15 months of age, and the second dose at 4 through 6 years of age.”

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinatio … costa-rica

Perhaps you should rephrase your comment SamRamon 'Plus rabies and tetanus are always good to have here....'  :joking:

I could not edit my original post. But yes,  I should rephrase that. I mean rabies and tetanus shots are always good to have when traveling in places like Costa Rica or anywhere you will be out in the countryside. 😏

Tetanus is a 100% must every 5 years regardless of where you are, including the US.
As for the others. They cause no harm but can save you from a whole grim world of expensive messing around.
I'm trying, but failing, to think of a valid reason not to have them.

Human rabies in CR, so I'm assured, is rare, but not unknown.
Cows get it quite a lot from vampire bats, but there have been a few cases of humans being infected by these hungry little flying rodents.

As I have no idea of the cost or possible problems involved with rabies shots, I can't make an educated guess as to the need, but I suspect it's minimal.

Fred :

Human rabies in CR, so I'm assured, is rare, but not unknown.
Cows get it quite a lot from vampire bats, but there have been a few cases of humans being infected by these hungry little flying rodents.

As I have no idea of the cost or possible problems involved with rabies shots, I can't make an educated guess as to the need, but I suspect it's minimal.

I would agree that rabies is not at the top of the list. You can always get a shot once infected.
In general, no shots are NECESSARY to come to Costa Rica, although I would not doubt if they make measles vaccination or proof of immunity required at some point.

The others mentioned are prudent in my opinion, but not necessary. I'd go with the CDC recommendations.

I'm shocked anyone fails to protect themselves and their families from measles.
It's absolutely essential.

That coming from me, a chap who lost his cousin to the disease because his uncle and aunt were anti vax idiots.

We've been here now for four years.  CDC did not request we get those shots.  I'm not going to go looking for them. :)