What to do in Belize?

I'm not talking about for a tourist, but for a retired ex-pat.  What do you actually do all day long?  I am from NYC and used to good food and a great deal of variety in food.  Is that available?  How is the internet?

How good a cook are you?
What part of Belize we talking about?
Need to know that to evaluate Internet quality, avaiable everywhere but not all areas equally good. Also for availability of restraunts and food markets.

Belize is not known for food variety. It is one of the many reasons I left and settled in Mexico. I lived in Corozal and made many trips over the border to acquire edible steak, and all sorts of goodies hard to get or overpriced in Belize. There is nothing to do in Corozal but its not a bad place to do nothing. Gossiping and drinking are major pastimes. In Cayo farming is popular with expats. The island of Ambergris is loaded with tourists and is expensive  but has more restaurant variety. Diving and drinking are popular there. Placencia has semi decent beaches but each sq yard of sand has 6000 sandfleas. Snorkeling, boating  and drinking are popular there.

If you want to live in Belize and actually LIKE Belize there are several posters who will only tell you that it is not a good idea, and that they left.
My Take on the areas mentionedBY the poster who should surely now be SusanMexico.
Don't know Coroazal enough to advise but sounds like it is a bit dull to me.   Orange walk is a busy area with a few eateries and  some better private medical facilities.

Ladyville the area the Airport is in has expanded enormously in the last 20 years offering places to eat and drink and there is a shrimp fishery there where you can go and buy your seafood wholesale, just remember to put ice in your coolbox before you go.

There are several decent restaurants, including the best Sushi place in the whole of Belize,  in Belize City but there are only a few good areas to live within the city, and going through the "wrong" parts of town after dark is pretty dodgy.

Moving west, You will pass through Hattieville home of the countries Prison, but the prison has a great little gift shop open daily.
Driving west from the airport we tend to stop at Cheers, just past the worlds curtest Zoo, in the same area here are a couple of similar establishments within a mile or so, all do basic food but also all have really clean Loos, pretty  important to know where to find same.

Belmopan the capital has a few decent eateries but save the good indian place (the Everest)  and a good west Indian place( Scotchies), not huge variety from the usual  American and Belize cuisine. This is the area I live in and I am able to keep from boredom most of the time, so then I bake and fill the freezer. My 'Loca'l is a place on the Highway called Rancho has a lovely swimming pool and serve good Belize/mexican fare, at prices aimed at the Belize population not just expats as a couple of places in the city while serving good food  the price it too high.

Moving along the western highway  pssing through quaintly named villages, to the twin towns of Santa Elena and San ignacio. Bustling vibrant area plenty of eating and drinking establishments but again not huge Variety of cuisine. There are many non farming expat businesses in the area and access to the Pine ridge wild life and naturally Beautiful areas, along with Mayan sites of Xunantunich and Carocol.

Return along the western highway with plenty of road side places all the way back to Belmopan to go south down the Hummingbird Highway. A really beautiful drive ( not always the best road conditions and they are doing some major road works along the way about 20 miles south of Belmopan) shortly Before  the turn off for Dangriga (another town I do not know well) you can take a tour of the Marie sharp Hot sauce factory,
Staying on the road it becomes the southern Highway,  Not far down the southern highway you can divert to Hopkins Village a pretty place with plenty of Mayan cultural information and restaurants available, several places to overnight or vacation. They have recently put in a most awful one way system which resulted with my driving the wrong way down it for about a mile, but I was not alone.

Back to the southern Highway continue south through more pretty scenery and farm lands, Silk grass a little village has a couple of places we often break a journey at for drinks and a simple meal. Continue south to the Placencea Peninsula. The 17 mile GOOD road goes through banana plantations and the towns/villages of Maya Beach and  Siene Bieght a Garifuna village with eating places and bars along the route. Into Placencia village itself there are a few nice dining places and lots of popular bars. A very nice beach and the 'Famous' side walk. Yes sand flies are a big problem for some, but oddly others are little affected, Have heard some people find them a problem in Corazal also. All the usual tourist and beach activities available.
I have to finish the tour here as I have only gone further south into the toledo district a couple of times with friends, or once on a tour to Monkey river, so cannot offer any personal knowledge of the area save to say where I went was beautiful.
Saving that most expats tend to do similar things in Belize as they did before, if you have a hobby plenty of time to enjoy it. If you like to garden Belize is great for that.
Other than that you are retired do what ever you like.

I found that very helpful. Thank you 👍

Depends what you are into and where you are! We are not there full time yet but when we are there (we are in Sittee just outside of hopkins) we find ourselves always exploring. Hiking in coockcomb, kayaking the Sittee river, I am an avid cycling, and we go diving. Other then that, I love to cook so I have been learning to cook with local  belizean ingredients that i don't have at home and test my new creations on the neighbors. There is plenty to do. And then there is always something that needs fixing... The restaurant scene would not compare to New York's in terms of variety but we love exploring the local spots - not those who cater to tourists.
Belize is not Florida or The Bahamas. It's not a rich country with all of the amenities found in Canada, US or even Mexico. You need to come and experience it before deciding to come permanently. But we love it.