Looking to move from South Africa to Portugal, where to start!!!

Hi Everyone,
I am in the process of trying to sell up in South Africa and would like to relocate to Portugal but I have no idea where to start.  Do I need to do all the legal paper work first regarding immigrating before buying property or is that done after I have purchased a property, and any advice about  the legal procedure in purchasing property would be most helpful.

Hi Sheenanut
I'm also South African, and a little further down the path. No problem to buy in Portugal. Lots of problems to sell in SA for a decent price at the moment as you know.
Some small details such as opening a bank account and getting a tax number, nothing insurmountable.
Are you wanting to get the ‘golden visa'?
My email is *** if you need more info
Best of luck!
Portugal is lovely!
WimKay

Moderated by Christine 4 years ago
Reason : for security reason, please exchange your private contact via your private message system. Thank you

Hi guys
I couldn't get any South Africa-specific info on this site when I needed it. My advice to you would be to join the FB group South Africans helping South Africans in Portugal. It has a ton of very valuable info there (including files on all the FAQ's) and Steve, the site admin, is a fountain of knowledge!
Good luck 🙂

Hi Wim Kay,

Thanks for your reply.  I cant afford the Golden Visa but will be happy to just be able to purchase a property in Portugal and get temp or permanent residence and just get out of SA before its too late.  I am selling in the Garden Route so hopefully will sell quicker than Gauteng.

Did you do the move on your own or through an agency?

Regards

Sheena

Thanks so much Janine,  I have now submitted a request to join that group, thanks for that tip.

You're welcome. I only wish I'd found them long before we left, cos one thing I didn't know about was the certificate of bagagem that you need BEFORE you leave. Customs informed us quite cheerfully yesterday that they've sent every one of our 13 boxes (the last and most treasured of our possessions) back to SA.... Where we no longer live... 😡