Am disgusted about a pharmacy

The "nanny knows best" attitude of meddling Vietnamese is hard to bear. Hell, sell me that small bottle of OXI GIA and let an old man be.

Nope. They i. wouldn't sell antibiotics and ii. disapporoved of me putting H2 O2, hydrogen peroxide into both puss-leaking ears.

WTH is wrong with the pharmacists and employees and the system, if that's what some government rule forces them to do?!?

Oh, how come that some kindergarten teacher could get a bottle, unlike me?!?

Am quite disgusted TBH.

Yes, there has been  r e l i e f  when the peroxide reaches the wound and releases oxygen. WTH are they denying medical aid to someone in pain, who needs it? Doctors in the West use the stuff as well, it's not like this is something harmful.

Actually in they are moving away now from peroxide as it does also destroy healthy tissue too, but pharmacy did not sell you antibiotics??? I feel that is their go to products to any disease.. :/

As far as I know, if your eardrum is perforated, then it is not advisable to use hydrogen peroxide. Not sure if this applies to your case but this may explain their reluctance to sell it to you.

I had an ear infection years ago in Sai Gon and had they same thought: hydrogen peroxide. After doing some reading, I decided to go to a clinic because I had no idea if my eardrum was punctured or not.

from: https://healthyfocus.org/hydrogen-perox … infection/

PRECAUTIONS
Make sure that you choose hydrogen peroxide that is no more than 3% in strength. Weak hydrogen peroxide is considered to be safe for dealing with earwax, ear infection and to apply to minor external wounds. Stronger peroxide is produced for industrial purposes and should never be used therapeutically.

Most people consider that hydrogen peroxide can be safely put to use on the ears to treat occasional wax build up and external infections. However, it should never be used if you have a perforated eardrum. Doing so could result in severe pain and even a condition called mastoiditis if the peroxide gets into the mastoid cavity.

Hydrogen peroxide should never be used to treat infections of the inner ear especially if the infection is near the eardrum. This could actually lead to loss of hearing.

If you do not speak Vietnamese get someone who does, use a different pharmacy if the one you try does not help. Personally I am paramedic from the USA and I would use antibiotics with a ear cleaning solution made for that person.

johnross23 :

As far as I know, if your eardrum is perforated, then it is not advisable to use hydrogen peroxide. Not sure if this applies to your case but this may explain their reluctance to sell it to you.

I had an ear infection years ago in Sai Gon and had they same thought: hydrogen peroxide. After doing some reading, I decided to go to a clinic because I had no idea if my eardrum was punctured or not.

PRECAUTIONS
Make sure that you choose hydrogen peroxide that is no more than 3% in strength. Weak hydrogen peroxide is considered to be safe for dealing with earwax, ear infection and to apply to minor external wounds. Stronger peroxide is produced for industrial purposes and should never be used therapeutically.

Most people consider that hydrogen peroxide can be safely put to use on the ears to treat occasional wax build up and external infections. However, it should never be used if you have a perforated eardrum. Doing so could result in severe pain and even a condition called mastoiditis if the peroxide gets into the mastoid cavity.

Hydrogen peroxide should never be used to treat infections of the inner ear especially if the infection is near the eardrum. This could actually lead to loss of hearing.

GREAT reply by John.

I would only add this:

While you (OP) might think that your ideas for treatment are most important, a responsible pharmacist knows that CLEANING is the number one priority when diagnosing and treating any ear canal signs of infection.

I am pretty sure you were being offered a solution that promotes the removal of ear wax.

I'm a Registered Nurse, but I've learned to never attempt to treat my own ear problems.

I highly recommend a good ear cleaning first, preferably NOT self-administered.

@Ciambella can give you excellent advice as to the type of clinic that can help you.

Ideally, a clinic that performs the cleaning, with a physician who can visualize your ear canal afterwards and recommend the best therapy.

It's very possible that you have the beginnings of a drug-resistant infection, such as Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA) and it will be dangerous to postpone professional assistance if that is the case.

Good luck!

OceanBeach92107 :
johnross23 :

PRECAUTIONS

GREAT reply by John.

I would only add this:

While you (OP) might think that your ideas for treatment are most important, a responsible pharmacist knows that CLEANING is the number one priority when diagnosing and treating any ear canal signs of infection.

I am pretty sure you were being offered a solution that promotes the removal of ear wax.

I'm a Registered Nurse, but I've learned to never attempt to treat my own ear problems.

I highly recommend a good ear cleaning first, preferably NOT self-administered.

@Ciambella can give you excellent advice as to the type of clinic that can help you.

Ideally, a clinic that performs the cleaning, with a physician who can visualize your ear canal afterwards and recommend the best therapy.

It's very possible that you have the beginnings of a drug-resistant infection, such as Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA) and it will be dangerous to postpone professional assistance if that is the case.

Good luck!

Ear,Ear.

It was unreal. They treated me as if I was a bum without shirt & shoes and them having a sign in the door "no shoes, no shirt? No service!"

Found a competitor who has the right drug in stock and who will sell it.

The nanny knows best attitude reminds me of the post office. Not sure if it has been racist?

I gather there's a pretty serious worldwide problem of antibiotic resistant organisms due to massive misuse of antibiotics.

As for the other thing, the stuff the Germans used to power the Messerschmitt Me 163 Komet .....

https://www.hearingaidknow.com/hydrogen … ng-ear-wax

Hydrogen peroxide you buy in Vietnam may not be your typical 3% H2O2 in the United States.  The last H2O2 I bought from a Vietnamese pharmacy was much stronger and I had to dilute it with water 10:1.  Putting very strong H2O2 into your ear canal can lead to permanent damage to your ear.  Please double check the labeling on your bottle.

Wald0 :

Actually in they are moving away now from peroxide as it does also destroy healthy tissue too, but pharmacy did not sell you antibiotics??? I feel that is their go to products to any disease.. :/

Affirmative. Still, it appears to have been a bright red flag to them when I said a) how much pain I've been in and b) that I want to pour it into my ears to disinfect the wounds.

A friend is a pharmacist at a government hospital. She organized me getting the right antibiotics and they would even deliver for 30,000 d more. Fantastic service!!

As with other services, the abysmal and the outstanding are side by side.

- Dry cleaners who would ruin an Italian KITON suit by machine-washing it to save 80,000 VND and all.

Can't get used to these extremes. The excellent and the abysmal

What country did you say you were in? I have lived in Vietnam for 7 years and have always found the pharmacies and staff 99% very helpful and friendly, hydrogen peroxide, no trouble, antibiotics, talk nice no problem, did you get your vietnamese language wrong and swear at them or something. I can't understand the problem, On second thoughts, maybe they were being helpfully and giving you good advice, not wanting to be responsible for your downfall, full strength hydrogen peroxide in two puss filled ears? You don't sound very Happy in Vietnam

HARDLY WORTH COMPLAINING ABOUT,,,WHEN IN ROME,,,