Instant Love Affair

My name is, "Jason" and I hail from Las Vegas NV USA.

For as long as I can remember my Thai Aunt and cousin's (most in the US) have been telling me to go to Thailand.

After 2 failed marriages and injuries from military service I guess I finally figured, "why the hell not, what do I have to lose"!?

So I purchased a one-way ticket for Bangkok and off I went.

That was April 3rd 2019.. I spent a week in the city (it's fun but not really my thing) and then took a flight to Phuket to train at Tiger Muay Thai Gym. Then back to Bangkok for 10 more days, which led me more outside of Sukumvit area. I liked being in the burbs actually. (At least what I experienced of it).

Now unlike some travelers my interests are really focused on the history, culture, and the experience.

Of course my Aunt and cousin's are trying to line me up with a Thai lady... Suffice it to say I've been able to avoid their attempts at match making.

I'm giving serious thought to actually living in Thailand for 6 months or so out of the year.

While my experience has been mainly tourist oriented I've been able to get out and experience everyday life outside of the city thanks to my cousin Lu who lives in Bangkok.

I mean for a guy like me living on a modest retirement check Thailand allowed me to be very comfortable. (Of course I did see how one could lose their money quickly if they weren't responsible).

When I pull the trigger on this idea I have I'm sure I'll be looking for advice on things like housing, buying or leasing a vehicle, and perhaps other items.

Being from Vegas I've seen enough hustle to know a con, but I gotta admit I've never seen it as finely tuned as I've seen it Bangkok. That city can chew a man up and spit him out quick if he's not paying attention! I literally sat and watched guys get hustled (I know some folks might be like "you didn't warn him"? To which I'll just say, "I've already raised my kids")..

But overall, I just can't wait to get back. As of this post I'm in Saigon and returning in a few days.

The other thing I might like some advice on is a side hustle to make some extra money to play with. But outside of that maybe just meet others on here who are looking to network etc..

Don't think foreigners are allowed to visit Thailand with a ONE-WAY ticket!

Yep... You just need to show a ticket going out of the country. I should have clarified that part.. I purchased one-way ticket there and then a ticket to Vietnam, basically hopping throughout Asia.

'I literally sat and watched guys get hustled '

Hi, can you elaborate further on this statement.

Sitting in a regular bar in listening to guys negotiate prices with hookers or as they call them (Freelance Girls). I could be way off the mark but 6k baht seems a bit much for an average looking dude to pay for fun... Especially considering I had one of them toss a 3k baht figure out at me. Not my thing these days, but back in the day if that had been me I would have chopped that price by half. Then again maybe that's a great deal? Just didn't seem like it.

The other thing I witnessed a lot of is folks not bartering at the markets. I just assumed it's part of the reason for going. But I'm thinking maybe most of them are just happy to be there and experience it.

Hope that helps and thanks for the question.

One of the things that made me never want to visit Thailand again was the massive level of prostitution, the pros hassling me all the time, and the vomit inspiring scenes of foreigners bragging about their conquests, the ones they paid for. The worst was when some would talk about young girls. I felt like smacking the sick twats, but that would only lead to trouble for no gain.
Sorry, but any 'man' heading there for sex is just a sad little loser.
Meeting a woman, falling in love, and marrying for real - different story.

Thai's seem to have a "live n' let live" attitude about it. Not having lived full-time in Thailand yet my only take on it so far is some of the ladies know exactly what they're doing, and others are doing it out of desperation.

Bangkok can as you say swallow a man up. The main problem is they tend to get carried away and their lower regions dominate the brain then blame the women when the fall flat on their faces :0)

A friend of my boyfriend's arrived here a few year ago with all the right ideas. Find a nice girl buy a condo or build a house and settle down.

Not the most handsome guy after a few visits to Soi Cowboy and attention like he had never experienced in his life, common sense flew out the window,

I can remember 3 or maybe 4 girls he took to beach resorts that he claimed this was the one but a week later he had found a better one.

To cut along story short he did meet one girl from Udon Thani who was just the nicest girl you could meet and decided to build her a house and asked for our help.

We designed a 2 story house for him at a cost of 2 million baht and everything looked great until she had gone to a funeral came back a day early and caught him red handed with some bar girl and house or no house she walked.

Within 4 months and a million baht plus later he moved out of his 45,000 baht 2 bedroom condo into a studio and 1 year later totally broke he was back in the UK.

Don't get me wrong we have built houses for many mixed couples in Issan and m,any many have great lives together.

Unlike Alex who went home broke the guys with limited budgets who survive best long term either have bought a condo or  married and build a house.  The reason being they have very little to pay by way of expenses.

The opportunities are here for happiness too many foreigners make complete fools of themselves then blame the women.

I get the impression you are wise enough not to fall into that trap but disagree about the hustle' I think most foreigners hustle themselves

Indeed, leading one's life based exclusively on the biological imperatives can turn sour...

As of this reply I now find myself in an interesting scenario with a very nice lady. Albeit I know my limits and I'm encouraged by the fact she drove us to Hua Hin (we had been on several dates prior to taking this step) and is not shy about buying lunch or dinner as well. No sick Buffalo or dying relatives yet either.

Needless to say my experience tells me time allows people to reveal themselves... So I suspect I'll see if the "other shoe drops" lol...

As for housing that is one area I'm a bit lost on. I haven't decided exactly where I want to live yet.

I plan to wrap up my affairs in the US in June and return to Bangkok in July/August to visit other regions and make a decision then.

But I'm leaning towards just leasing a Condo for the first 6 months and hopefully that will give me a chance to really know the place.

Also I'm assuming I can just lease a car if I'm more rural and outside of Bangkok. Otherwise the transit system here is actually very good in my opinion.

Thank you for your feedback!

When I first met my boyfriend I took him to Hua Hin and I let him pay for everything :0)

Rentings not a bad idea nowadays because the new law means less security deposit and you can more or less give 1 months notice.

Obviously we tell everyone build a house it's god for business :0) but the big advantage over a condo is you don't have Juristic fees which in Sukhumvit are High and you can rent a good studio for 7-8000 baht pm. on the bTS line

It's the cost of condos now that is frightening. The worst I see is the one at soi 6 is over 300,000 baht per sq m which is crazy. 80 sqm 2 bedroom would cost about 25 million Baht. Others are still about 150 to 250 psm

You can buy 1 Rai of land in beautiful Khao Yai for 2 million and build a 200 sq mt palace for 3.2 million and keep cows if you want :0)

Not that everyone likes mountains and trees but even Hua Hin has some stunning homes that cost nothing like 25mb

As for car rent it can be a problem if you don't use credit cards but FYI Highway cars just past the southern end of Ban Chak BTS station only ask for proof of residence  and ID. The usually call your hotel or apartment to confirm if you have no bills. Deposit is usually about 5000 baht returnable.

Up country some do and some don't

Fred :

One of the things that made me never want to visit Thailand again was the massive level of prostitution, the pros hassling me all the time, and the vomit inspiring scenes of foreigners bragging about their conquests, the ones they paid for. The worst was when some would talk about young girls. I felt like smacking the sick twats, but that would only lead to trouble for no gain.
Sorry, but any 'man' heading there for sex is just a sad little loser.
Meeting a woman, falling in love, and marrying for real - different story.

So you came to Thailand and you went somewhere and there were prostitutes hassling you?

But wait!! you said they were hassling you all the time so what? did you stick around for your entire holiday to make sure?

Idiot!!! there are millions of places to see in Thailand with out a prostitute in sight

Sorry Fred you are way out of order

Chalanda :

So you came to Thailand and you went somewhere and there were prostitutes hassling you?

Yes, in the holiday resort - I said, "Phuket", and left the resort after a few days to try Bangkok, but still had more problems than I care to think about there.
I have a special dislike of prostitution for a number of reasons so I find being propositioned less than acceptable.
As this was in 2005, just after the tsunami (if you read the news), there were far fewer 'customers', so I got all the more hassle.

Perhaps, in order to spark a light in an otherwise less than active lump of grey fat, I could explain.
I see prostitution as a number of things, but the worst is the possibility the girls are being exploited, perhaps by sex traffickers, or maybe just down to poverty - Either way, I won't have anything to do with it.
Toss in the numbers game with AIDS and other STDs, and that makes it as stupid as it is exploitative.

Chalanda :

But wait!! you said they were hassling you all the time so what? did you stick around for your entire holiday to make sure?

Flights booked. Please think before you post rubbish.

Chalanda :

Idiot!!!

How rude

Chalanda :

there are millions of places to see in Thailand with out a prostitute in sight

Yes, the deep south is lovely, and free of all the crap you find in the tourist areas and big cities.

Chalanda :

Sorry Fred you are way out of order

Not even slightly, but perhaps you'd like to make excuses for the johns, sex traffickers, and other assorted scumbags that are the scrapings found at the bottom of that particular barrel.
You might also like to note the bit where I mentioned I have no intention to visit that country again - That also suggesting how wrong you are.

Perhaps thinking before you post utter balderdash would be a good idea. I wouldn't want anyone to see you as an unthinking fool, so I offer the advice in the hope you'll avoid that label.

You're a funny guy. You tried Bangkok but got even more hassle from prostitutes.

Don't have too many in Dusit Zoo, Major Bowl, The Emporium, The Robin Hood, Bar 101, The Banyan Tree The Rooftops I could go on for hours naming places where prostitution is all but non existence.

But then if you go to Nana Plaza and sit between to naked girls in a go go bar I would expect you did get some hassle

:whistle:

Chalanda :

You're a funny guy.

One tries

Chalanda :

Bar

I don't imbibe alcohol, so I don't go to bars

Chalanda :

But then if you go to Nana Plaza and sit between to naked girls in a go go bar I would expect you did get some hassle

I definitely don't do that. I have no objection to sitting between two naked girls, but I prefer to lay next to them in bed - However, that pleasurable experience has stopped now because I'm married.
On the occasions those interesting, exciting, energetic, aerobic weight loss horizontal jogging activities have occurred, the ladies concerned were known to me, and no payments were asked for, offered, or given.
Look, I don't drink so I have to do something for fun.

Chalanda :

:whistle:

After my second night in the hell hole we know as "puke it", the ladies on the hotel reception desk plucked up the courage to ask why I wasn't taking pros and ladyboys back to my room when it was so obvious I fancied one of them so I was clearly not gay.
They were all lovely, but one was quite amazing and I would happily have given her my undivided attention all night, probably several times.
Eight is my personal best but I'm older now so down to four or five then I'm ready for a rest.
These ladies, honest, lovely, and hard working as they are, mostly see scumbag westerners so their view is of a race of people that follow dog rules = If you can't eat it, drink it, or have sex with it, pee on it.
I explained most western men are real men that don't engage in that, but they only see the sort of people that are roughly equivalent to stuff most of us would use bleach and a brush to remove from the toilet.

I'll add to my series of objections to prostitution - As many of the girls are trafficked, that means they're forced to work, thus sex with them is rape. If poverty forces them to work, that's little better than rape, and I would be a serious turd if I took advantage of them.

As you might well have gathered, I used to be a very naughty boy and I have no problem with casual sex, but I that pleasure has been put aside as I'm married with kids now so it would be unreasonable to continue. However, the vast pleasures I used to gift ladies with was never a business arrangement.

I'm aware my marriage is terrible news for so many ladies that have to resign themselves to never experiencing the massive and multiple extreme pleasures my body used to give out to ladies, but you'll just have to live with it, or take to drinking in the hope you'll find a modicum of solace in the bottom of a bottle.
As for gay men that are getting excited at the thought of my pleasures; if at some point in the future I find myself free for whatever reason, and I run out of women, I'll pop an ad in the forum's gay dating classifieds section. Keep an eye on it, you never know your luck.

In one post you tell us you want to beat up guys boasting about sexual conquests now you boast about your own?

Having read your post twice once alone and once with my boyfriend who asked me does this guy write for Marvel Comics :0)

I fully expect on your next visit to your psychiatrist will probably recommend you see a psychologist.

I am sure your wife and children any are  happy to know you are considering taking it where the sun doesn't shine. What a fine example you must be to your kids

Chalanda :

In one post you tell us you want to beat up guys boasting about sexual conquests now you boast about your own?

You really will have to read posts properly in order to avoid looking like a pointless fool. I'm sure you're just tired, or maybe drunk, and that's why you failed to notice the bit where I mentioned disliking "Men" who went after kids for sex.
In fairness, it's also possible your screen has a technical issue so perhaps you could ask for recommendations as to a good repair shop.

Chalanda :

Having read your post twice once alone and once with my boyfriend who asked me does this guy write for Marvel Comics :0)

No, just tabloids

Try HERE

Chalanda :

I fully expect on your next visit to your psychiatrist will probably recommend you see a psychologist.

I'm a sociopath with a Walter Mitty complication.

Chalanda :

I am sure your wife and children any are  happy to know you are considering taking it where the sun doesn't shine. What a fine example you must be to your kids

If I were ever to engage in sex with a man, I'd follow a suggestion from Jesus - 'tis better to give than to receive.

Perhaps, if I might be so bold, I could suggest you buy a sense of humour, or just borrowing one so you can try it.

I have no idea who Walter Mitty is but he should change his name to Walter Pity

I did have a chat with Jesus and he said he liked my post but yours are being handed over to Peter and stamped  with a deportation order :0)