Employment Pass – Work Experience Evaluation Process

Hi everyone. Does anyone know what the evaluation process is for the immigration department when examining an applicant's resume? I have found a company willing to sponsor me, but some of my work experience was informal/some time ago and I have poor records of it. Will there be follow-up requests for employment contracts, employer contact info, payslips etc? The work is all genuine but I might have difficulty pulling together all of the relevant information if it is requested.

Additionally, would there be any repercussions if Malaysian immigration believes I have misrepresented the information? I read a rather alarming article about three people being jailed in Singapore for fabricating education certificates! I'm not fabricating any experience, but who's to say how the immigration department will see it if I can't provide an employment slip….

Thanks so much for your help.

Basically its the employers responsibility to check the data you provide to them before they submit it to immigration. The employer can penalise you if you misrepresent anything (e.g. backcharge you their outofpocket expenses)

Experience on a CV should be post qualification e.g. Degree. Only relevant professional experience is necessary (i.e. not part-time, voluntary, internships etc.) but you do need at least 3 years' (e.g. waitressing during college breaks is not relevant to an IT job). The experience should be relevant to the job vacancy requirements and there should have been an open and competitive process (immigration require evidence of this)

I think you will need to provide a Certified True Copy of your highest qualification. The ESD Quick Guide explains the paperwork needed in one of the Annex A - https://esd.imi.gov.my/portal/pdf/tc-es … 19_feb.pdf

The application has to be made whilst you are outside Malaysia and an exit stamp in your passport will be needed. The Visa Approval Letter is required before entering for employment purposes. For Category III employment passes (i.e. salary under 5000) I think the new rule is a Visa with Reference is required for all nationalities which needs collecting from a Malaysian Consulate or High Commission.

Thanks for your input Gravitas. I will go over everything with my prospective employer to ensure that I am not at risk of any penalties from their end if things don't work out.

Usually any potential penalties are mentioned in the Offer of Employment letter. So read that carefully.

All the sectoral body that clears the application (1. position) and immigration (2. person) do is assess whether:

1. The  job can be offered to a foreigner

2. Whether the candidate proposed for the vacancy has the required qualifications and experience

The ultimate bottom line is an employer can cancel a work permit and blacklist a foreigner by lodging a report to immigration

I haven't had an official offer letter yet from the company, but they have asked for a copy of my resume and I believe they are lining up the documentation on their end in order to proceed.

Do you have any insight as to what is the norm for penalties that would be included in the letter? I'm assuming something like paying back the company's immigration fees if you leave the contract early, etc. How does that relate to blacklisting? Is that something that a company would typically do, or only if they are feeling disgruntled? It sounds rather serious...

Just put in an honest CV then nothing to worry about