Mail forwarders

I decided to open  a topic on this as its discussed often.

We all have our favorite mail forwarders -  I have recently changed my opinion on  mine!  I have been using BM Cargo for some time.   In the last  3 months they have lost  5 packages of mine!  I buy things for me, for my companies and for others online routinely.

Never in  15 years have I had this type of problem. AND the  attitude of "we don't care" has pissed me right off.

I am now changing companies and will NOT recommend them to anyone! 

Once I have some experience with the new company I will let you all know.

i have also had to change in the past, but now i have settled with a really decent outfit....BLUMBOX. in Sosua, they are in Plaza Valentina...all the way to the back. they are on the money...

I chose Mail Box, Etc. because their local office in El Embrujo, Santiago dlt Caballeros is close to my home in South Santiago/Carabacoa area. My experience since October 2017 has been OK. I really like the super helpful, family-style friendly attitude of the employees of that office. So far, no problems. I can't speak to the issues at their other offices. I am somewhat concerned that the ONLY way I have to to communicate with their Miami office is through their El Embrujo office. Suerte -Rick

Sounds like you are living in the DR!  Great one day and bankrupt the next!  That can be said more most businesses here.  Personally I have been using EPS in Punta Cana for 5 years and I am happy to stay with them.  I use them often and packages vary from small to a few pounds.

I don't live there and haven't had to ship anything yet..but when say "they loose a package" are you out the money and the item?  (I think I know the answer😨)....is there any compensation from the mail forwarder or company that shipped it (Amazon, Wal-Mart etc)?? That's terrible if not, especially if your expecting an item for $100-$200

Cap, I just rented in Santiago and need this service. Can you post their website if they have? Thanks

Each situation is a bit different.  I buy most via eBay and they will guarantee I receive my package.  If the package is signed for by the mail forwarder then they are responsible if not then eBay will take responsibility.

Ebay and Paypal do not take responsibility for anything.  Been there done that and even with a full investigative report and tracking the mis-delivered item ourselves (by foot) Ebay and Paypal did nothing.  Zero responsibility.  On the other hand, my Royal Bank credit card has always made sure I was compensated.  Don't ever count on any warranties, refunds or anything else from the DR.  You are on your own.

And I have had Ebay refund me more than once honey!

Shows just how inconsistent they are.

People have mentioned mail forwarders in Punta Cana, Santa Domingo, and Santiago has anyone had good experiences with Sousa and Cabarete areas? Also how are places like Amazon, walmart.com, and chewy.com to order from?

In Sosua, I use CPS, and have had no issues.  Very friendly staff, communicate quickly and well.  I have shipped from Amazon, Walmart, Wayfair and more.  All were delivered to the Miami address, and forwarded to here without issue.  It doesn't mean they're perfect, it just means they haven't misplaced one of my packages yet.  And they have battled customs for a mattress too.  One was let through, but they held up the second one.  CPS helped with that.

I think it all boils down to which forwarder is more convenient for you.  They all operate the same, for roughly the same price.  It's not like you're locked in to one, if you don't like the service.

I use encargopaq in Sosua for the large items that come by ship. All our appliances came from Homedepot in Florida. Wife insisted on a convection oven, French door fridge and dishwasher by Samsung for the condo renovation. It came through encargopaq with no problems. And then, she required a proper undermount sink which also came via encargopaq from Homedepot. Delivery to the door is an advantage.
Smaller items and mail I use EPS with no worries. Been with them for over 16 years and nothing lost.

Wow! I wouldn't have imagined people ordered appliances from Home Depot in Florida (I live in Florida that's funny😊) such large heavy items to ship, you must have paid an outrageous amount on top of the original price? Thanks for everyone's input.. Good to know there are a few good ones out there...when we all share info like this people will not be going with the ones with the bad rap, so maybe they will go away and existing ones will have to to better to stay in business ( I know it's wishful thinking LOL!)

Yes you hit the nail on the head - inconsistencies -   one office can be great and another is horrible.

When shipping appliances (yes - I have done it), I use a 'mudanza'.... a shipper.

Mine is out of NYC but several of the US coastal cities have them... MIA, Boston, etc

My stove came for FL via MIA.
Just Wednesday I was at my NYC man - a load of things --
Tower fan, new garden hose, household & personal items... blender...

They pack it all and send it off... mine was $100.
Door to door - taxes paid.
I take the Free Shipping option at Lowe's /Home Depot/Best Buy- whatever.
It arrives at the mudanza and comes to me in Cabrera.

Awilda Shipping is my choice...NYC

We have maritime packages that are just now arriving in Sosua via CPS. Shipped to Miami via Amazon.

One has arrived. One not yet. Should be within a day. I am hoping they will let us make one consolidated wire transfer payment for all the packages since transfers are $45 US regardless of amount. We are trying to get around the fee by using PayPal but not sure if that will work or not.

They also offer delivery. I will let you know how that goes.

They do take credit cards Christie.  No extra fees.

But we have to be there right? I don't think they will hold the packages till we get there?

They have held 3 very large packages, 2 mattresses and a BBQ, for 2 months for me.  Email and ask, but the answer will likely be "yes".  Or, if not, a trusted local could pay for your stuff, and you could pay him back when you arrive...😉

Actually, Maggie offered just that! Paying Monday, included home delivery on Tuesday. And, it was less expensive than quoted.

This is our second maritime shipment with CPS and we are very pleased.

**and we still plan to see the "trusted locals"!

planner wrote:

I decided to open  a topic on this as its discussed often.

We all have our favorite mail forwarders -  I have recently changed my opinion on  mine!  I have been using BM Cargo for some time.   In the last  3 months they have lost  5 packages of mine!  I buy things for me, for my companies and for others online routinely.

Never in  15 years have I had this type of problem. AND the  attitude of "we don't care" has pissed me right off.

I am now changing companies and will NOT recommend them to anyone! 

Once I have some experience with the new company I will let you all know.

I went back to use my EPS account after bad experience with another company that already closed, till now receiving everything on time, my packages arrive to the aiport SDQ in average of 2 days after they receive it in MIA.  Also a plus for EPS accounts is that they provide you a P.O. Box with diferent address to receive mails so they do not missed Packing with letters mailed,   When you open your account they provide you both addresses.  For you that are expats could work very well.

It depends what you ship.

On another forum -  we were talking about mudanzas.
One of the members was using a mail forwarder to bring in all his literature...
Brochures, pamphlets, printing etc.

When he heard a box would be about $50... he flipped.
Imagine what he was paying a Mail Forwarder for that heavy load !!

My forwarder (Aeropost) offers 2 addresses too - mail & packages.
The mail takes a long time... packages are faster