To become a resident of DR or not

my mother has owned a place in Caberete for approximatly 8 years and is now thinking of staying there permanatly. my question is wether or not she should become a resident of the DR or not.  any input would be appreciated

If she is going to live here permanently she needs to obtain legal residency.

The quick and easy answer is yes she should get her residencia!

The simple answer is that if she wishes to live in DR permanently then she should by the law of the land become a legal resident.

There are many benefits of residency not least that she would never have to worry about the country applying it's immigration laws fully at any time going forward.

Ask yourself these questions: What do you and your people in general think about people coming to your country and staying illegally? Why should one be thought of differently living in an illegal status here?

It's not at all such an obvious choice.  Many of those you advocate going thru all the time, trouble, expese, stress of getting permanent residency, have a bias that others be put through the agony.  Many live year after year, without the hassle, as apparently the lady has done already for 8 years.   The 'legality' of it all is mostly just a legalistic gringo notion.

Legally this site adheres to the law.  Punto.

This gringo notion as you call it,  people are being deported!  Those people are from some specific locations but the writing is on the wall.   This country has the right to control and decide who lives here. 

So, my advice on behalf of this site,  get legal.

And that's been the same story for years, with no effect, except for those few mistakes last year.   Of course you can't recommend doing anythiing illegal, and neither am I.  But I AM pointing a reality that you can't deny.

I clearly understand reality and I understand what changes are happening.

The reality is most just show up and stay. They pay an overstay fine when they leave.

Yes, and that is NOT illegal, or they wouldn't allow it. But they do, it's their system, and is more convenient and even cheaper than trying to get permanent papers, for some people.

Just to be clear, not advocating anything illegal. My mom has owned her place for vacation purposes only.
She has started a relationship with a man there roughly 7 years ago and now wants to stay there with him. Blah blah blah, I am just a concerned son that's wants to know what she should be doing so that she doesn't lose everything she has worked to do.

Well that is a whole other discussion honey.   Is she planning to live with this man in her house?

Do you mean with a local guy?    If that is the case, it doesn't much matter what her papers are re the place she bought.

49north.  All good information but the answer you are looking for is not a simple yes or no.  My contribution is simple.  The longer she waits, the more difficult it will most likely become.  She must start the process in her country of origin and the process takes time.  She may find that she must travel and stay in her country of origin and wait for several weeks or months just to get her paperwork and complete her application for her residency VISA.  Then she must come back to the DR to apply for residency.  This will most likely take anther 6 months.  Depending upon circumstances this can be a difficult, complicated and often an expensive process.  If she is married and living with a Dominican, this will make the process much easier.

Good luck.

First thank you all for your input, and if this is not the proper place for this discussion please let me know.

She says she has no plan on moving in with this person.
He is not on title.
He is a local man from D.R.

49north;  Does her place have a 'deslinde'?  If she doesn't shack up with him, it's better for her, property-wise.   But there are also other factors that would have a bearing on the matter, like how old she is, if she doesn't mind just walking away from it later, etc.

my mom is 71 she is a Canadian citizen
she says she plans on living out her days there.
I don't believe she wants her property togo to the government and I don't see her leaving it to this man. 
I don't (and don't want it) have the ability to make her decisions but I do want to do my best to ensure that what ever she does have to be hers till the end.

Well, by Dominican law, he will only be entitled to her property if he is married to her, or has his name on title or can prove he lives with her and shares expenses (common law).  Otherwise, by DR law, in case of death the property goes firstly and equally to her children (again presuming she is the only one on title).

thank you all very much

also a little clarification, even if married, only 1/2 the property is his.  The other 1/2 will still go to the children.

We assume she has her health care figured out....international coverage

Over 70 is problematic ...and if she nonresident Canadian...she needs something

Does she want to drive?
That calls for a Dominican license.

Can one own a business legally without residency? Not work, at all, just own.

I believe that it's legal to buy property, a vehicle, etc but wish to confirm one way or another regarding a business.

Thanks!

I am confident yes, however getting a comml bank account may be the challenge. Lots of red tape with these money laundering laws.

Thanks Steven,

To clarify you are confident that residencia is not required to own a business or to create a business. Is that correct?

I am confident that I can acquire any bank account I might need.

You do not need residency to open or own a business here.  I do it for clients all the time.

With a corporation you can open bank accounts with your passport easily.

You can purchase vehicles easily as well.  Driving long term without residency is not legal and can be an issue

You are correct that without residency you should not be working in the business.

I hope 49 north is still around

Leaving Canada will result in her relinquishing her Cdn residency.
She will then have no official country of residence.... a potential problem.

Her Cdn driving license will expire.... she will have no license.
No license means she can't drive anywhere in the world.

I mentioned her health care earlier.... leaving Canada will negate that too.
She'll need coverage.

Some good news -
after exiting Canada, she will pay no tax....
If she doesn't bring her income here - meaning earn it here - she will be tax free.
A significant income boost for most people.

If she has sufficient retirement income, she can get residency faster.

Time to talk to a lawyer

Willie was responding to a much earlier post.

"Driving long term without residency is not legal and can be an issue"

What do you consider long term? Say I come for the legal 4 months at a time with extension and bought a car - would this be illegal? Also, can you buy a car from a dealership if you are not a resident? Can you get insurance on car without being resident?

Technically, 120 days (if applied for & granted) will allow driving & insurance.

You can buy and insure w/o residency but the validity of the insurnace may be in question once you become 'illegal' -
defined as beyond your legally allotted visiting time

But these days - everything is pretty fluid

Exactly correct willie.  You can buy and insure without residency.   Insurance is valid as long as your status is valid. 

Dealerships are not always a good place to buy a vehicle.  One of our posters Huffman can help you find a good vehicle.

Cruffman........

Planner - on the commercial bank accounts, I've found it to be very difficult! We ended up abandoning our attempts for a company that was registered in the DR after 4 or 5 banks told us it was at least a 30 day process and were asking for documentation that didn't exist (US and Dominican tax filings - it was a newly formed company and hadn't filed any taxes at that point).

Correct. Go to the bank and ask the requirements. The newer money laundering (new world order) laws make it challenging, Banco Popular has the hardest rules for business acct.

Best to you,
S

Willie - thank you!!!!

Corporate accounts - new companies you need all your Corp documents, that's all, plus owners passports or cedulas.

Banco popular is ridiculous!  I am in process of moving ALL my corporate banking. 

Ddmcghee. Still wanting to open accounts let me know.  I will send you the contact.  Literally can get corporate accounts in under two weeks!

Mr. Cruffman please DM me.

Thank you,

JR

You can reach him directly   at  829-546-3624,  that is his whatsapp as well.

Thank you kindly.  We are in contact and he is MOST helpful!

Will update as we progress.

JR

Awesome!

Thank you!