Looking to move to S.Korea!

Hi everyone,

I'm new to expat.com and I was hoping to meet some people with first hand experience living and working in S.Korea.

My wife and I are looking to leave our Senior Management roles in 1 of Canada's major FI's to start a new life of adventure, preferably in Korea. From what I've been reading it is very difficult to obtain a decent paying office job in any industry without a BA. Is this in fact the truth? My wife has degrees and work experience so obtaining a job would be less of a challenge for her than it would pose for me.

I started to work in the bank almost immediately out of high school. Over the years I have been able to move up within the organization to where I am now, mid-senior level people manager.

My question is this; Without a degree would my work experience/achievements matter when applying to office roles (ideally in finance sector). Also, I do not speak Korean whatsoever and i know this would also be a factor. Are there Expat companies/multinational orgs seeking professional English speakers?

thanks in advance!

No degree no job. In Korea graduation rates are very high c70%. Thjs is a country where school friends will disown anyone without a degree and your social and work standing depends on which uni you went to.

Expats need a degree for visas.

Hey Wayne,

I'm in a similar situation as you. Born in Toronto and worked in banking and moved my way up to management level. Basically I dropped out of university after 3 years.  Looking to relocate to Korea. But I'm sure you can find a job teach english without a degree. I'm not 100% sure on that. I'm of Korean heritage so don't know if its easier for me

E2 visas (foreigners teaching English) require a degree.

Well I wouldn't be an e2 visa. I could easily get permanent residency. My wife is korean

I meant the OP who you were answering.

To work legally in a hagwoon you need a 2 year min uni level diploma as a Korean eg equal to a US associate degree from a community college.

Hi there,

Just a student, but because of sudden  situations, couldn't pay the university fee for a year even he really wanted continued to study. Unfortunately, the school told him to delay the school until find money. In this case, is that possible to work for finding university payment? Even not get degree yet, but hope there is some work for this kind of students.
If yes, please give some advice.

Advantage korean and English. Good behavior and young.

Thank you.

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it. I find it very hard to believe that they hold a BA so high that professional experience and recognized industry/international achievements fall flat. I'll continue my search as my wife and I are set on moving. I'm not looking to knock on their door, I intend to kick it in.

See you on the other side (of the world) maybe!

Lemme know how that goes for you. I'm in the same situation. Dropped out 3rd year to focus on my banking career.

Hi my name is Daniel from South Korea(korean) holding married to Canadian citizen.

Without bachelor degree it would be little hard to find job in korea even you have great work ability.

So this is my recommendation, why won't you start your own business?

Hi, please help me out here . what kind of business can someone start in Korea ?

Hello Norachuks,

Welcome to Expat.com  :cheers:

I hope that the members will be able to guide you. Meanwhile, I invite you to read Living in South Korea guide, where you will have a useful article about Setting up a business in South Korea;)

Best luck,

Cheers

Cheryl
Expat.com team

A Bachelor Degree is usually the minimum to get a half decent job in much of Asia. Many people have MA's and MBA's and these are not just foreigners but locals too. Asians are actually pretty highly educated so coming in without a degree would be tough, even for jobs teaching English let alone in finance.

I had a Canadian friend a long time ago who got a job as a financial broker in Hong Kong but I think he had a BA and he also spoke Mandarin. Having said that, I actually got a scholarship to study Mandarin at the Mandarin Training Center in Taipei for a year which paid for everything except the flight. But I already had a BSc and Post Grad qualifications too. My point is that there may be alternative ways to get overseas that you could explore.

Personally, if I was desperate to move overseas, I would also consider looking at university scholarships overseas as many offer these. I know some people who did that in Japan (one was a German and the other a Taiwanese) and they studied at a university and at the same time worked at one of the Tourist Information Centers in Tokyo. However, I'm not sure how viable that is for your situation.

Anyway, good luck and hope you find a way to make it there.

If you have 90,000 USD to spare in cash you can apply for a D8 Visa - you need to have a specific skill in demand - then you can start a business.

Some of the Korean blogs I watch call their country hell. Everything there has a rate that you need to achieve, even your looks.

I'm a Korean native living in Seoul. It is quite intriguing  to see how expats observe my country.
Unfortunately, for any office job (not to even mention decent paying ones), education works as the first filter and no bachelor degree will be just filtered out from all application.
Also most of office jobs would require fluent Korean except teaching or very few other industries.
Indeed many Korea people describe our own country as hell due to the pressures from so much competition in every aspect of life. I think Korea is a very exciting and rewarding country as far as you can overcome such competitions.