Motorbike Hire Vs. Buying

Hey Guys
I am wanting to motorbike from HCM to Hanoi then into Laos, and then finally returning to Hanoi.
My question is, would you recommend buying a motorbike and then selling it, or hiring?
If anyone could offer some advice, and potential shops to look at, I would appreciate that.

Thanks

If you rent a bike in HCMC and end up in Hanoi, how will you return it to HCMC?

I bought a bike in Saigon and the place also did one way rentals.  The guy that I dealt with was a western man and lived in saigon, but that was years ago.  I got great customer service. Here is the link:

https://www.tigitmotorbikes.com/

The cost of one month rental will be the same as the buying a good used bike.
If it was me, I'd buy and hope to sell later.

Wxx3 wrote:

The cost of one month rental will be the same as the buying a good used bike.
If it was me, I'd buy and hope to sell later.

One month rental is around 1 million, you wont get a decent bike for 1 million.

I expect that dealers who will manage recovering the bike in Hanoi and shipping it back to HCMC have that cost baked into the rental price.  Either that or they have an added on charge for remote recovery.  Nobody is going to do it for free.

jep_za wrote:

Hey Guys
I am wanting to motorbike from HCM to Hanoi then into Laos, and then finally returning to Hanoi.
My question is, would you recommend buying a motorbike and then selling it, or hiring?

I wouldn't do it, too dangerous and doesn't sound like fun, and I'm not 22 anymore, so there is my bias.

• If money was not an issue, I would rent. When you rent, you get a better, safer, less-prone-to-breakdown bike than you would if you buy a beater for $250 on Bui Vien. There are several services in Hanoi and Saigon, google something like "Vietnam motorcycle rental". Tigit looks like a good outfit that's been around for awhile. Read their blog.
• It is my fear of trucks, buses, heat exhaustion,  and breakdowns in nowhere that keep me off the highways. I hope you are a very experienced rider and adaptable to road anarchy.
• Cross the border to Laos and come back? You better research that. Will a rental place allow it? Will the Lao and Vietnamese govts allow it? You will need a multiple entry VN visa.

FWIW, don't even think about cross-border anything.

I would buy and sell in Hanoi.

Get the bike serviced, buy new brake pads, tyres etc. and if you can, do a compression test of the engine.
---
Automatics use way more fuel.

What'S your budget?

PLEASE stay away from those awful "Honda" Wins.
---

I was knocked off my bike outside my house. Man, you will likely have accidents, too and should think about buying insurance for yourself and the bike. The truck driver who mowed me over by reversing without looking may not have insurance...

Automotive clubs tend to sell travel insurance.

Enjoy the ride, bet it will be memorable!

www.gt-rider.com has an article on the "circle of life" of these rental "HONDA" Wins. Dream on if you think that you will get the say $ 250 promised in Hanoi for the POS. stick with a genuine Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki. Pay more initiallym have less many issues and get a better resale value

Safety is a big concern, and having valid insurance. I seen so many young people last trip, with casts on, bandages etc, road rash, limping, vacations ruined, and they were the lucky ones that only had minor accidents.
It all seems great until  the bike and yourself hit the pavement .
Been there done that, no thanks, older and wiser now.

Canman63 wrote:

Safety is a big concern, and having valid insurance. I seen so many young people last trip, with casts on, bandages etc, road rash, limping, vacations ruined, and they were the lucky ones that only had minor accidents.
It all seems great until  the bike and yourself hit the pavement .
Been there done that, no thanks, older and wiser now.

This is some of the BEST advice I've seen about motorbikes on the Vietnam forum.

I already know a half-dozen expats who have had significant (bleeding involved) accidents over the past six months.

My own version of transportation insurance is my personal 'policy' of walking, taking Grab rideshares/taxis/cars/vans/buses or riding the train whenever I am not choosing to fly business class on Vietnam Airlines.

I hope to take a water taxi as well, someday.

That's definitely not a foolproof solution, and I've had a few close encounters with terroristic trucks while being driven by a maniac chauffeur.

I still like my odds better than I would if I were riding a motorbike.