Housing Prices in Bali

Hi all,

I am looking at moving to Bali with the family. This is not just on a whim but a long thought out process.
After looking at the housing / Villa prices through out the internet to do yearly rentals, are these prices actual or just inflated?
What is the true rental prices?

Thank you in advanced

Jose

Prices tend to be high because the market allows it, so shop around a lot, preferably whilst you're in the country. Meeting people is often the best way to improve your chances of a good deal.

One note to watch out for, if anyone mentions the words, "Buy" or "Nominee scheme", run like hell and never speak to them again.

Fred,

Thanks for the reply. I am fully aware of the scams and schemes, so all i want to do in rent a villa. I am heading back over soon but whilst surfing the net the prices just seem not to be realistic.

Many agents assume foreigners hunting for a villa are:

Very rich
very stupid

Networking is probably the best best, preferably with foreigners who have experience of the game.

Thanks Fred much appreciated..

"...are these prices actual or just inflated?"

They are very, very real. 

In the 21 years since I moved to Ubud, real estate prices have increased 10 fold and more. 

My advice to you is to do your shopping for a villa once you are here...and not before hand.

Thankyou Ubudian!

I have been looking around on the net to see what is available however i will be in no real rush once i get there with the family. We have some close Balinese friends that we have met over the years of travelling there and no doubt they will help us out alot to get the price down but it is still good to see before we go what we are getting into to price wise.

Having a good network of Balinese friends is excellent.  Their advice, especially on how to handle getting settled into a new village, handle the adat matters, and customs will be invaluable.

Good luck with your move!

Cheers!

Ubudian wrote:

"...are these prices actual or just inflated?"

They are very, very real. 

In the 21 years since I moved to Ubud, real estate prices have increased 10 fold and more. 

My advice to you is to do your shopping for a villa once you are here...and not before hand.

They are real, but still massively inflated because many estate agents are the products of mummies and daddies who aren't married.

Actually Fred, I wasn't thinking about real estate agents.  The price structure I was thinking about was local to local prices...the prices that Balinese and other Indonesians charge each other for land and/or leases.  Those transactions rarely involve a real estate agent, but frequently will involve a finder's fee of about 5%. 

Your point is a good one and likely the best reason why real estate decisions are best made while here in person and networking with locals as well as expats as to what might be available by way of word of mouth.

I've saved lots of millions on rentals over the years by walking around talking to people, and I strongly suggest the OP does the same if possible.
The place I'm in at the moment is a snip at the price I paid, and a hell of a lot cheaper than anything similar advertised by any of the local estate agents.
The headmaster at my kid's school took us around to help us out so we found this pad really quickly. Only the third place we looked at, but it's a killer and handy for everything.
Saved a load of cash and the company is a professional lot, not a set of cowboys.
I'm well pleased, and it was all down to asking a security guard if he knew anything.

I will be definitely not sign anything until I am in country and have had a really good look around. I believe that once you meet someone and make that connection, you can get the trust and good deals will follow.

^
\If possible, that's the best way to go about it, but it can take time