Children integration in a new school in Singapore

Hello everyone,

Moving abroad can be particularly hard on children. For any parent planning a move to Singapore, it is of utmost importance to make sure they do everything in their power to make sure their children's transition is as smooth as possible. Would you be able to give a few tips to parents planning to move to Singapore by answering the following questions on children integration?

What does one need to factor in when choosing a new school for their children in Singapore?

How does one prepare their children for the transition into a new school in Singapore?

How does one help their children integrate into their new school? Any tips to help a child transitioning into a completely different new program or curriculum?

Is there an age period during which a child really should change schools?

What are the signs that a child is having trouble transitioning into their new school?

Tell us how it went for your child in Singapore.

Please share your experience,

Bhavna

Singapore' public schools exist in all neighbourhoods, are generally of very good quality (they win high grades in international rankings) and all teaching is in English.
BUT: Places are limited and given to citizens first, then PRs, with other foreigners in third priority.
If foreign kids manage to get places, they are not entitled to financial subsidies (which make schooling almost free of charge for locals) and thus have to pay around S$500/month.

This explains why the vast majority of foreign kids in Singapore visit private and international schools.
There are many such schools, teaching in various languages and following various international syllabuses. Quality varies widely, from outstanding to mediocre, but none is cheap (budget S$1500/month or more depending on the school, most of which are for-profit).

To avoid long commutes (with kids generally driven around by the parents), many families chose the school first and then look for a place to live in the neighbourhood (even though this might mean a longer commute for the working adults). As a consequence, apartments become dearer and rents go up around popular international schools.

Hi, I recently moved to singapore and living in Potong Pasir area. My child is 24 months. any good preschools you can recommend in the area? Much appreciated

Howdie wrote:

Hi, I recently moved to singapore and living in Potong Pasir area. My child is 24 months. any good preschools you can recommend in the area? Much appreciated

Please check below link and find preferable schools in your area:

https://www.childcarelink.gov.sg/ccls/m … aitLst.jsp

thanks. but has anyone attended or plan to attend the schools and have insights? Which school has good curriculum, outdoor play? In general, where do you find kids happiest?

Since a first-hand impression is always better than other people´s views, I recommend you visit the suitable child care centres in your area before making a decision.

Howdie wrote:

thanks. but has anyone attended or plan to attend the schools and have insights? Which school has good curriculum, outdoor play? In general, where do you find kids happiest?

Good curriculum? You should spend more time gathering information about Singapore pre-school system.

Most of the reputed schools have SPARK affiliation and under MoE. The curriculum and day care activities are defined year ahead. Each school has their website and what they provide are mentioned in details.

As parents, it's our call based on the information available in their website and what we have collected on net & felt through campus visit.