Children integration in a new school in Indonesia

Hello everyone,

Moving abroad can be particularly hard on children. For any parent planning a move to Indonesia, it is of utmost importance to make sure they do everything in their power to make sure their children's transition is as smooth as possible. Would you be able to give a few tips to parents planning to move to Indonesia by answering the following questions on children integration?

What does one need to factor in when choosing a new school for their children in Indonesia?

How does one prepare their children for the transition into a new school in Indonesia?

How does one help their children integrate into their new school? Any tips to help a child transitioning into a completely different new program or curriculum?

Is there an age period during which a child really should change schools?

What are the signs that a child is having trouble transitioning into their new school?

Tell us how it went for your child in Indonesia.

Please share your experience,

Bhavna

What does one need to factor in when choosing a new school for their children in Indonesia?

That depends on where you're from as you'll probably want to choose a school with your local curriculum. I've never seriously looked at any beyond Cambridge, but I know there is a Japanese school, several Indian places, at least on Turkish, and likely lots of others

How does one prepare their children for the transition into a new school in Indonesia?

As many schools run national curriculum from other countries, not that much, but you will find they have to engage in some local culture - A good thing

How does one help their children integrate into their new school? Any tips to help a child transitioning into a completely different new program or curriculum?

There are two points to consider:
The language barrier
The Indonesian national curriculum has many issues I'm unhappy with

The Indonesian system starts with 2 years of preschool, 6 years of Primary, 3 years of junior high, then 3 years of senior high or vocational.

Afternoon All

I've worked in three international schools in three different cities in Indonesia and have a wealth of experience seeing how children adapt and integrate. As usual there are a whole host of factors.

Firstly, are your plans short term or long term. So many families have arrived in Indonesia knowing full well they will stay a couple of years and move back home. Their kids are usually well prepared and excited by the challenge, probably as they've discussed it as a family. They know it is a small part of their lives and they will return 'home' afterwards. It can make a difference. Some other families may be following a parents career and may have already lived in a number of different places, Indonesia being just another step on the journey. They are also pretty well adapted as they've done it before. The third category maybe have an uncertain idea of what lay ahead. Maybe it's a trial run and that of course adds uncertainty. In my classroom, some kids are well informed about their lives and obviously have good communication with their parents. Others cannot tell you where they went on holiday. So, keep your kids informed and in the loop.

I'll mention here that it does often seem the case that kids adapt better than their parents. Kids worry about having a friend in the new school, as good as the one they had in their old one. Even in a mixed class of 16 kids, some will not have a natural friend. Fortunately, being expats, there are always plenty of other things going on outside the classroom and good friends can be made participating in those activities as well. The friendship issue is however is no different from being back home if we ignore the sense of familiarity having been together since the early years.

In my opinion, parents concern themselves too much about curriculum. I've used a number of different ones and yet find myself teaching the same English and Maths as I always have done in each particular age group. As such, don't concern yourself about it. The quality of the classroom teacher will be more important than a good or bad curriculum.

Of course if you do plan to return home or your kids are at high school exam age it changes things a bit and you may need consistency os something more widely recognised and flexible to keep on track for university. One thing that may be different is the approach to learning and I've found some children arrive with a background where a textbook was obviously the be all and end all of classroom learning. Lucky for them they found you but it can take a while adjusting to being asked to give your opinion and a more open ended approach. It's more a case of moving from a poor school to a good one and it could equally work in the opposite direction. Textbooks can be used well in school but if your child is learning ll their English or Mathematics through one, time to think about a change.

With all this in mind, choosing a school can be quite daunting and having to pay for education can be  a shock for many. I really cannot say if paying more gives you a better education, though if you are learning in English, you really do need natural born English speaking teachers. I know kids who are happy with home schooling and others who are more suited to large schools. To me, a child needs to get off to the best possible start so good quality at the bottom end to teach the basic skills well, is a priority. If your child has plans for University entrance, I would seriously rethink your idea about living overseas as the best opportunities here won't compare with back home.

Keep evaluating each year. Is my child motivated to go to school and enjoying the experience. If not, maybe time to look around. Remember, so many school leaders can sell a good game so judge the mood on the relationships between those leaders and their teachers and how the teacher comes across to you. I can tell within five minutes if i want my child to spend time in a classroom with a teacher. There can be startling differences. 

So, how can you support your child in their new environment. Know the schedule: what day is PE, when is homework due and what snacks or lunch is provided. Sounds obvious but kids feel left out when such simple requirements are not met. Further, attend assemblies, pick them up from school and take an interest in what they are doing.  Make a bond with the teacher any follow up any contact. Adapt yourself as kids cans ease the unease.

Here's a nice link families who made the move:

https://www.ouryearinbali.com/2017/11/3 … ine-coast/