Children integration in a new school in Costa Rica

Hello everyone,

Moving abroad can be particularly hard on children. For any parent planning a move to Costa Rica, it is of utmost importance to make sure they do everything in their power to make sure their children's transition is as smooth as possible. Would you be able to give a few tips to parents planning to move to Costa Rica by answering the following questions on children integration?

What does one need to factor in when choosing a new school for their children in Costa Rica?

How does one prepare their children for the transition into a new school in Costa Rica?

How does one help their children integrate into their new school? Any tips to help a child transitioning into a completely different new program or curriculum?

Is there an age period during which a child really should change schools?

What are the signs that a child is having trouble transitioning into their new school?

Tell us how it went for your child in Costa Rica.

Please share your experience,

Bhavna

Buenos dias,my kids were both born here in Costa Rica so integrating was not a problem.Both speak fluent spanish,and english.We did return to California for a couple of years when I had a health issue.There we enrolled them in public school.It was quite scary for them for sure as they were not as proficient in english as they are now.My kids were not in their comfort zone at first,but it really lit a fire under seats for sure,and now they are better little citizens for it.Now we are here in Costa Rica for good but the experience in the United States yielded very tangible results.My point being is this,if you move here with school age kids,sure they are going to feel nervous,and scared,but the rewards are great,and they will be better off for it.Another plus from my experience is it brought my kids,wife,and I closer together as a family unit.In the area we live there is an abundance of awesome private schools.Both our kids attend Vittorino Colegio Catolico in Huacas,Guanacaste,and am quite happy with it.pura vida...

Hello. For me, the best way to prepare a child for a new school, place or person is describing the place/person before the child experiences it himself/herself. I practice that approach every time my children are to have a new experience. I noticed that if it is a new person  they meet, they are at ease, salute more willingly, show more interest in the person; same for a place like  a new city or a new school: I take them to the new  school when it is empty of students, show them around, try to introduce them to their teachers so when  their first day comes, they "know". It has never failed. I'm convinced that the unknown is what creates anxiety. Just like ignorance does.