Cheap living

I am currently living in the Philippines been here 8 years I live a simple life, thinking about Vietnam, I only need a room with toilet, eat out all meals drink a little beer don't want a wife what is rough cost and best City for me

If you want to live cheap, pick a country town. What is your monthly budget? Don't expect to see too many expats or expat services in the smaller cities. Ben Tre is a nice size town not too far from Saigon.

Okieboy wrote:

I am currently living in the Philippines been here 8 years I live a simple life, thinking about Vietnam, I only need a room with toilet, eat out all meals drink a little beer don't want a wife what is rough cost and best City for me

If you are living in VN for a short time, then Backpack area will be better for you. You can still find 200-300$ accommodation per months and also food will be cheaper

Cheapest option observed here among expats is to drink all day and sleep in your p and v*mit at night. All others get their sh*t together and remember where they put it...
Good luck

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Cheapest option observed here among expats is to drink all day and sleep in your p and v*mit at night. All others get their sh*t together and remember where they put it...
Good luck

G'day OB,

Sounds like you've found your way to Nha Trang. 😆

Some of these blokes sit outside the local Mini marts & drink from the fridge.,...they save a few dong that way.

The bulk of the mob a bit further up the food chain are located in some dingy dump in a back alley.   The place stinks of cats piss , dog poop & smelly drains.

It's a cringe worthy pitiful scene.    But it does have an upside.

If your ever feeling a bit “ down” & could do with a self asteem boost....just take a look at the place ,,you'll go away  feeling a whole lot better about yourself.🤓

Yogi007 wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Good luck

G'day OB,

Sounds like you've found your way to Nha Trang. 😆

Some of these blokes sit outside the local Mini marts & drink from the fridge.,...they save a few dong that way.

The bulk of the mob a bit further up the food chain are located in some dingy dump in a back alley.   The place stinks of cats piss , dog poop & smelly drains.

It's a cringe worthy pitiful scene.    But it does have an upside.

If your ever feeling a bit “ down” & could do with a self asteem boost....just take a look at the place ,,you'll go away  feeling a whole lot better about yourself.🤓

Still smarter than the average bear... 🐾🐻🐾

Okieboy wrote:

Come and try out a couple towns, see if you like it. If your room needs are that simple, just use a 2 star hotel, includes towels, sheets, wifi, aircon, maid. That will be $15 in bigger cities, $10 in small cities/big towns, or big city fringes. If you like rice and noodles and soup, maybe $6 a day, figure one day a week you will splurge $10. Beer in Vietnam is $1 - $1.50.  You can travel between cities cheap, $5 for a several hour trip.
Where? Do you like the idea of rivers, beach, mountains? Try em all.

Well, in "my" top 10 city, a hotel will rent you a 25 m² room for 5 million or $ 225.
I can say truthfully that by eating local food, your bill should not me more than 5 more million.
Add 2 million for miscellaneous like dry cleaning, medicine, gym membership and 3 million ass cash reserve (VISA, a flight somewhere out of the country) and 15 M might just be a ball park figure to exist on.

- VINAPHONE has a 2 GB a day SIM which comes with 50 free minutes (34 k to buy the SIM card, then 89 k  a month).
- learn the buses, where they go. One will take you to the beach ;-)

Actually, everything in Vietnam have cheaper than other area. The important thing is the city that you choice to live. In HCMC, the price of lease for an apartment have too many kind of money. About $130~/month just apart cost (Is that "cheap" for you?). And one thing I have to say: The Vietnam's foods're very good. Do not drink only beer guys... ;)

fitzinic wrote:

Actually, everything in Vietnam have cheaper than other area. The important thing is the city that you choice to live. In HCMC, the price of lease for an apartment have too many kind of money. About $130~/month just apart cost (Is that "cheap" for you?). And one thing I have to say: The Vietnam's foods're very good. Do not drink only beer guys... ;)

Can you show us examples of the 130usd apartments?

HI

It is no matter. Money is money, never cheap on it. :-)

Can you tell me which district you wish to stay? Anh when you can move in, then i can find you the suitable best ones

Wish to chat you at skype ***  for faster reply

best

Moderated by Bhavna 4 years ago
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

OT: 7 years ago, I found a room in Chiang Mai for 130 THB or at today's exchange rate, 125,000 VND. En suite. But my wife hated it and the next day, we moved to the Shangri La for more than 30 times the cost.

In SE Asia, there may very well be cheap options.

I just bought a power supply for my Thinkpad and can honestly say, it failed to even last 1 hour!  :huh:

A room has been offered without air con or a window, to be shared with "uncle". Yeah, 1 million will do nicely, kind sir. YMMV.

Now I found a restaurant serving a traditional breakfast, 4 eggs in some crepe like rice pancake with roasted onions on top, to be dipped in fish sauce, costs 20,000 d. This will fill you up! (I had no idea of this option and the pricing).