Destroy my Paradigms! Where should I live?

Since my first visit to Portugal (1996), I've been drawn here. Due to my career (mainframe computers), PT was never a wise fiscal decision.

Retirement happened. I can leave US.
I have some paradigms. I love the Lisbon area. I love the Porto area.
Algarve sounds interesting. I visit it early September.

Where makes sense? Money is not a big issue as my pretax retirement is $5000 (4500Eu?) per month, with another 3000 or so that I must withdraw from retirement investments or face a large tax penalty.
I like the urban (actually suburban) areas of Lisbon and Porto - great mass transit, easy shopping, short trip to salt water for fishing, .... Algarve (Faro, Lagos, Portimao) seems like a lower key possibility, but one which makes owning a car more important.

Is there somewhere better?
An active English-speaking community would be a big plus. Walk/bus/train to needed shopping would be a plus. Difficult access to salt water would be a HUGE minus.

For housing, I've usually lived in a detached (no shared walls) property. It seems that whenever I've shared a wall, the neighbor has been a loud rock band or motorcycle gang. I will need 2BR (me and infrequent guests), a decent kitchen, and climate control. OK if the climate control must be an add-on like space heaters and room A/C, but prefer central.

For those who have made the move, where do you live. What do you like / dislike about it? If you would prefer to live elsewhere, where?

Please help! I've been gone from PT for only a week since last trip, and am having withdrawal symptoms!!

Hi we recently moved from Andalucia originally from UK. We have just had a house completed having purchased the land and built from scratch. If this is something that would interest you it was a relatively easy process and we have a house to our design which we love.
We are 1 hour from the Stunning silver coast 40 mins to Coimbra similar to Tomar.
If money was no object we would probably choose Aveiro on the coast with train connection to both Lisbon and Porto. It is reasonably up market with a good selection of excellent restaurants.
Hope this gives you food for thought, it is a fabulous country to live in and there are more English speaking ex pats than you would imagine.