Job offer from MNC in Malaysia, need information about visa process

Hi,

I'm a software developer working as a freelancer / independent contractor. I recently went through an interview process for a renowned MNC of the oil & gas industry, as an application developer for their IT team in KL, Malaysia. This process was carried out by a recruiting agency which is based out of UK.

I got the offer letter and am required to send a signed copy along with a passport scan. As i enquired about the visa process, the recruiter told me that I would be required to enter KL, Malaysia on a single entry tourist visa and after arrival I would be required to do a Petronas Medical test and then their agent will collect my passport to start processing a Kemaman work permit. I have been informed that this process will take around 2-3 weeks, during which my passport will not be with me. All expenses will be borne by the company.

I would like to know if this is a standard procedure or are there any things I need to worry about or get more details on?

This sounds a bit dubious because as an Indian national you cannot convert a tourist visa to an employment pass (EP) . The correct process is for the company to submit an application to immigration for what is called Stage 1 clearance. If this is successful then a Visa Approval Letter (VAL) is issued which authorises you to apply to the Malaysian Consulate/HC in Mumbai, Chennai or Delhi for a VISA WITH REFERENCE (VDR) single entry visa. Stage 2 which is stamping the EP in the passport is carried out only after arrival on a VDR.

Apart from the issue of it not being possible to arrive for work in Malaysia as a tourist, what happens in these forms of scams is the company never applies for an EP after arriving and has your passport so you can't leave. After several months and by which time a person is an illegal immigrant, the only way out is to turn yourself in and be deported and banned for 5 years.

O&G is a favourite industry for scams.

With this knowledge perhaps you have misunderstood their process. But be assured you need a VAL and VDR to work in Malaysia

There are plenty of developer jobs in Malaysia.

Hi Graviats,

Thanks for the information.
I do not believe I have misunderstood the process. To be clear again they have asked me to enter Kl on a tourist visa after which they will collect my passport and start process for Kemaman work visa.

Both the company and the recruiting agency seem to be renowned and legitimate entities. Should I mention the names on this forum? The renumeration offered for the job is very good and above average and they will be reimbursing the travel and accommodation expenses as is also mentioned in the contract. This does not appear to be a scam but I am still not very confident.

Should I refuse to travel on a tourist visa and ask them for the VAL and VDR as you mentioned?

Up to you.

Suggested that you contact Petronas to check out the job, Agency etc. Also check their recruitment process

They will be only too happy to assist and also check their website for vacancies to cross check.

Thanks for the information. I will look more into the authenticity of the companies and the job offered.

Here is a link to the government immigration expat hiring process.

You will find a Quick Guide if you scroll down.

Check the documents required for an EP against what you have been asked to send them

https://esd.imi.gov.my/portal/

Annex D is useful reading as well. There is lots of red-tape regarding Certified True Copy of documents

Do check the Quick Guide

Here is information about the VDR

https://www.vfsglobal.com/malaysia/india/wrf.html

Here is link explaining what a VDR is from government website

https://www.imi.gov.my/index.php/en/vis … rence.html

Hi,

Thanks a ton for the useful links.

It is quite evident that there is a standard immigration procedure to follow before I am granted an EP.

After going through the links I am very skeptical about the company calling me on a tourist visa and then asking me to give my passport for more than 2 weeks. The quick guide you shared mentions that and EP should be processed in 5 days if all required documents are submitted.

Although the companies are renowned and seem legitimate entities, the process they are asking me to follow seems very dubious.

I believe being a MNC they should not have any issues with following standard procedures as laid down by immigration department and the government of Malaysia. So I have asked them to reconsider the tourist visa process and let me know.

I am not willing to risk my passport nor the chance of being present in another country illegally.

Petronas seem to have a separate ict company so they might be a worthwhile enquiry stop.

http://www.petronasict.com/Pages/about.aspx

They don't mention presence in the location put forward to you but that's not totally indicative

However one would expect them to know about ict positions and players in recruitment