Studying in France and medication for HIV+ International Student

Hi Everyone,

My name is Zal and i am HIV+ from Indonesia, I am planning to take my master in France next year,  considering my status, can anyone be so kind to advise or share any information on how to access HIV+ medication (ARV) there, is it free or need to pay? and how about for the insurance policy there does it cover for the medication also?

Appreciate your kind help and suggestions

Cheers,
Zal

Izaljkt wrote:

Hi Everyone,

My name is Zal and i am HIV+ from Indonesia, I am planning to take my master in France next year,  considering my status, can anyone be so kind to advise or share any information on how to access HIV+ medication (ARV) there, is it free or need to pay? and how about for the insurance policy there does it cover for the medication also?

Appreciate your kind help and suggestions

Cheers,
Zal

Hi,

All international students who will be in France are required to have health insurance, either public or private. Many international students are eligible to take part in their universal health care coverage, though this is dependent upon factors such as age, country of origin, and length of their degree program.

To be eligible for the national health insurance program offered in France, students must be:
-Under the age of 28 by October 1st of the current University year.
-Enrolled on a degree program for a period of 4 months or longer.
-Have a home country that is outside of the European Union or Switzerland.

If any of these provisions are not met, an international student would be required to obtain private health insurance for themselves.

Regards,
Céline

Hi Celine,

Thank you so much for your kind advise and well noted, just a quick questions, do you happend to know that the insurance will cover for the ARV's medications?

Thank you so much
Zal

Izaljkt wrote:

Hi Celine,

Thank you so much for your kind advise and well noted, just a quick questions, do you happend to know that the insurance will cover for the ARV's medications?

Thank you so much
Zal

ARV medications cost between 1000€  and 1500€ per month and are fully covered by health insurance. But I do not know if it is the same for a foreign student living here. It is better you contact the French Health insurance : 0033 811 36 36 46 from Monday to Friday (from 8:30 am to 5:30 pm).They have English speaking operators.

Hi Celine,

Thank you so much, really appreciated

Regards,
Zal