International Schools in Belgium

Hi!

My company is looking to move me to Brussels to set up our operations their and I will be moving with my brother, who is 14 years old. Since I am about 15 years older than him (I've been a father figure to him all my life), I am thinking it would be best to bring him with me for his schooling here. I checked the schools that I could send him too, spoke to a few schools, and I shortlisted the following schools:

1. St. John's ( I have heard they lost students some time back, but now they are doing good),
2. ISB: I think they have reduced intake so it might be tough
3. BSB: I think it's mostly British student here

Would love to know from all you lovely folks here to what would be the best option for him? Are there any other schools like BEPS, Boagert that I should consider?

Thanks in advance!

1. St. John's ( I have heard they lost students some time back, but now they are doing good),
Not even in Brussels however.

2. ISB: I think they have reduced intake so it might be tough
What do you mean reduced intake? Anyone with enough cash can go there.

3. BSB: I think it's mostly British student here
Incorrect, it's roughly 1/3.

Thanks!

However, I was speaking to a relocation agency today and they suggested I could stay in Waterloo, since it would be slightly cheaper, and is plus, more expat friendly. Is that true?

You better do your homework. Once you've done it, you'll find the relocation is wrong on that too.

Stop talking to relocation agents. It will save you a lot of time working out what is true and what is false.

Why are you not considering public schooling or other private schools? It makes no sense at all to consider only the 3 most expensive schools in Belgium, unless you are not paying.

Hi currylover,

My company will be paying for the school, so that's no concern. My only idea behind the international school is that the certification is transferable, which means even when I move back or he wants to join university, he will not face any issues. Hence, the insistence on these 3 schools.

Public Flemish, German and French community high school diplomas from Belgium are also transferable. UK, US, Dutch, French, Canadian, German etc universities have Belgian publicly educated students attending.

Thanks! I do understand that you have a strong preference for non-international schools. And while I am aware that the public education system in Belgium is good, it is not something very easy to digest for me given that in India we don't have a robust public system. Hence, we always feel safer sending kids to private schools.

Oh well... I agree with Currylover.
International school aren't bad at all in Belgium (and in Europe) but extremely expensive for absolutely no reason... and they're not even better than most of local one.

The main issue that your brother might have, is that lessons are either in French or in Dutch.
So he would most likely fail the first year at school, but he would be bilingual in less than a year... which might be a strong asset to consider for its future if he want to live in Belgium/France/Canada/Netherlands later.

I had a Japanese girl in my class 20 years ago (+/-16 years old), at the end of the year, you could nearly not tell that french wasn't her mother tongue when she was speaking...
Impressive! Through she was a really hard worker ^^

Your brother is still young and would learn really fast.
First months might be difficult and he might need some help.
But if you think he can do it, you should go for it!

What's one year in a lifetime, when you see the advantage to be bilingual?
I've seen it working before :cheers:

Thanks for sharing the anecdote sir!
It would definitely be a good thing for him to develop multi lingual skills.

Just a quick follow up question though: are IB/ British curriculum results accepted in Belgian universities?

Please dont stay in Waterloo and commute to Brussels. You will be in heavy traffic twice a day. Stay close by to your office in Brussels or better the Tervuren/Kraainem/Wezembeek Oppem area where they are lots of expats but on the expensive side but def better than commuting from Waterloo.

Which side of Brussels will your office be in? Better advice will be given once a specific area is known.

aksbanerji wrote:

Just a quick follow up question though: are IB/ British curriculum results accepted in Belgian universities?

European diplomas are recognized everywhere in Europe (and in OECD countries), and easily accepted/appreciated elsewhere in the world.

But well, keep in mind that if you finished your studies in pottery, there's no point expecting to join any university in astrophysics... Kinda logic...  :cool:

solexhonda is right about the daily traffic jam/nightmare... I can't deny it.
But living in a lovely small town with a garden and else, compared to a "big" city is...... priceless to me.
(I've lived 25 years in Waterloo, then moved to the next city Braine-l'Alleud since now, and I'm working in Brussels since more than 10 years...)

You just need to understand that it will take from 1 hour to 2 hours every day to go to Brussels, if you are planning to go by car.