Life at Bahrain

My husband has been offered a job in Bahrain ministry I.e ministry of interiors for 1000BD per month. Accomodation and all included. He has 5 years exp in graphic design and ui/ux land used to get a package of 11lakh in India and now offered 13000BD per annum including 1 month bonus, Family Visa and insurance.

Is this a good offer to take up? Please suggest.

Can he survive a comfortable life for 500Bd and save the rest.

Need your advice before he confirms it to the employer.

Thanks in advance.

Look, what you have to understand is that while on the face of it, the offer is good i.e. you are getting double of what you were in India but don't discount the fact that the cost of living would be much higher in Bahrain vs. India.

On how much can he save; it depends on the lifestyle i.e. is he there alone or with family?  will be live in shared accommodation and cook his meals?  will he get a car or his company will provide transport?

If he is alone and can live a basic life then yes, there should be no problem saving 500 BD a month or even more maybe.

The last thing that you need to be aware of is that there is a BIG push in Bahrain Parliament to eliminate ALL expats employed by the Government over the next couple of years.   So if he has a stable job in India, I would think twice as there is a high risk of expats employed by the government losing their jobs over the next 3-4 years or at the very least, not having their contracts renewed after the initial period.

Thank you for your reply. I do have a few more questions

*How about the growth opportunities  and work life in Bahrain say for example: Is it the startup culture or corporate culture they follow at work?

* In India hike/appraisals are on annual basis how is it in Bahrain?

* What is the basic salary necessary to live a simple life in Bahrain with family of 3, having a kid of 3 year old?

* What do you suggest is this a good to go offer or better to drop it?

In terms of answers:

1) Culture of start up or corporate is not applicable.  Your husband is working in a Government organization and all of these are the same, the world over
2) Varies from company to company.  In the bad economic climate, a lot of them have frozen increments.  Plus this is a dollar pegged currency so the increments are in the range of 2-5% max
3) Schooling is a big expense depending on schools.   1000 BD should be enough but if schooling is not covered, you are not likely to save much
4) That, only you can decide.  I have given my views before i.e. government jobs are not stable for expats in the coming years