Renting in Santiago

I spent three months in Sosua and to rent there, I provided a one-month security deposit and the first month rent.  But, I have been told that in Santiago and even Santo Domingo a "co-signer"  will probably be needed or several months of rent must be paid in advance.  For those of you who live in or have lived in one of these two cities, what has been your experience?  Were you able to rent with only a security deposit and the first month rent?

Almost all landlords require a guarantor. Rarely will they take more deposits.  But it's worth a try.

Guarantor was needed by all the agents I dealt with in Santo Domingo and a credit check was also sought.

It appears that two months deposit and one in advance is common in the capital too, with one of those months being the commission for the agent.

Read the contract too. It seems there are some standard contracts out there and most conditions are not unreasonable. There is one condition is some contracts I have seen which is not nice! It calls for an automatic percentage increase in rent after every full year.

Its is now (theoretically) forbidden to ask for 3 months deposit in advance, one of them being used as a commission for the agent. This means the tenant woudn't have to pay for the lawyer/agent/corredor. We will see what owners will do to bypass the law. Increase the rent in order to pay themselves the agent ?

Deposits now must be stored at Bágricola (Banco Agrícola) along with the contract. No legal action against tenants will be possible to  owners who did not obey this law.

=>  Full article here

I rented in Santo Domingo, it was a standard one year renewable contract. After my wife visited the apartment, I phoned the lawyer telling her I had no guarantor, but  I convinced her that her client would be  safer with me because as I was a retiree my income was sufficient and stable. No risk to lose my job or whatsovever. She accepted in less than 5 minutes, sent me the contract by e-mail which I signed and sent back to her. Transfered the deposit from Banreservas and done.

Everything is negociable as long as the other party is interested. In Sto Dom, there are hundreds of apts for rent, some remain empty for months.

I just rented a place in Santo Domingo.  The new rules are being laughed at!  Nothing has changed.

It was always the rule that deposits had to go to the gov't account but I don't actually know anyone who has done this. 

Anything is possible with 2 interested parties.  Remember there are many stories of expats picking up and leaving and not honoring contracts so nothing is really guaranteed.

Correct.

On the other hand, there are much more owners who try to find excuses to not give the deposit back, so, I would not advise to give more deposit than needed.

Agreed. And common practice, live out the deposit or at least part of it!

Greetings, actually just rented a home today in Santiago without a guarantor. Paid 4 months deposit in addition to first months rent. If you are in need of a very goid reputable real estate agent private message and I will give you the info

Great info!  You can post this person's name and contact info if you choose to as a recommendation honey!

Here is her name and contact info. Lic. Rossy de la Cruz, COBIG Real Estate Office # 809-583-1220 Cell# 809-467-2473. Very pleasant experience. Very professional

for sure landlord gona be happy to pay him up front for 5 months but nobody know what could happen in the future and let say u need ur money back then the prob will start as per the above chat

with this type of contract there will be no "money back".....

You are correct, nobody knows the future

Great question!

It really depends if you rent through an agency or a real state agent representing the property then most likely they will ask for 3 months deposit, one for them and the other two for you to be given back once you move out. They will also charge almost 1,000 pesos for the paperwork and a co-signer. However if you rent from an owner then they will probably only ask for 2 months deposit and no co-signer required. It depends on the owner but I did rent a place from an owner with just 2 deposits and no co-signer.

That has not been my experience honey.  Even owners want that 3rd month!!! Its ridiculous but common.