Keeping my permanent residency after divorce

Hello,

I got married in Brazil and acquired my RNE - permanent residency based on marriage. It will expire in 2027. I got divorced after 9 months of marriage, so from my understanding, unless my ex goes to the policia federal and cancels my permanent residency, I can keep it. However, what do I do after it expires? Is it possible for me to become a naturalized citizen if I live in Brazil for 4+ years? Thank you for your help.

hibiscus_kiss wrote:

Hello,

I got married in Brazil and acquired my RNE - permanent residency based on marriage. It will expire in 2027. I got divorced after 9 months of marriage, so from my understanding, unless my ex goes to the policia federal and cancels my permanent residency, I can keep it. However, what do I do after it expires? Is it possible for me to become a naturalized citizen if I live in Brazil for 4+ years? Thank you for your help.

The Policia Federal cancels permanent residency not your ex. That only happens if she goes and complain about you at a PF office and only after the case is reviewed to see grounds for deportation or
expulsion.

You were married for only 9 months... The PF could interpret that as a "casamento de aluguel" or marriage of convenience. That can be a case for cancellation and expulsion.

If nothing of the above happens and you reside continuously in Brazil, you can apply for ordinary naturalization to become a citizen after 4 years. You can also remain a permanent resident if you so desire. Just renew your RNE card upon expiration...

robal

Thanks, but to renew as someone married to a Brazilian I need a declaration from them that we are still together.

- Declaração, sob as penas da lei, de que o familiar chamante continua residindo no Brasil;
- Declaração, sob as penas da lei, de que subsiste a dependência econômica em relação ao familiar chamante, quando for o caso.
- Declaração conjunta dos cônjuges ou companheiros, sob as penas da lei, a respeito da continuidade da efetiva união e convivência, quando for o caso

Under which category would I then renew my permanent residency if I am no longer married?

That now falls under your right solely under the laws as a permanent resident being granted the benefits and rights equal to a Brazilian. You don't need anyone anymore to
declare that they depend on you for subsistence... etc, etc.

What happened with this?

02/24/24  What happened with this?

-@Brazillove

See my response to your "Divorce in Brazil" post.