Cheapest cities in Tunisia

Hello everyone,

Budget is an important consideration when moving to Tunisia. Ideally, expats would settle down in a city in Tunisia where the cost of living is low but where they could also enjoy a decent quality of life. Would you be able to give a few tips to someone planning a move to Tunisia by answering the questions below?

What are the cheapest cities in Tunisia?

Why are they cheap? What singles them out as a city where the cost of living is low?

What is the average budget for one person living in these cities?

Is it easy to find a job as an expat in these cities? What is the overall quality of life like?

Are they expat friendly? Would you recommend these cities to someone looking to settle in Tunisia?

Please share your experience,

Bhavna

Hi,

I will try to answer each question as listed.

1) What are the cheapest cities in Tunisia?
This is a loaded question because I will answer this based on cost and safety from my experience. Most coastal cities such as Sousse, Monastir, Mahida and Sfax are both inexpensive by western standards and safe. Tunis of course is more expensive. Inland cities are less expensive, but may be not as safe for foreigners especially close to borders with Algeria and Libya.

2) Why are they cheap?
Supply and demand

3) What is the average budget for one person in these cities?
I live in Sousse near the beach and live comfortably on $800 u.s.d. including rent, food, transportation, entertainment and travel around Tunisia.

3) Is it easy to find a job?
NO! My understanding is that employers in Tunisia are restricted from hiring foreigners as they must first prove that a Tunisian is not qualified for the position. This may help with positions such as foreign language instruction however.

4) Are these cities (listed above) expat friendly?
YES! My experience is that Tunisia in general is a very friendly country and welcomes foreigners.

I hope this information helps.