Cheapest cities in Oman

Hello everyone,

Budget is an important consideration when moving to Oman. Ideally, expats would settle down in a city in Oman where the cost of living is low but where they could also enjoy a decent quality of life. Would you be able to give a few tips to someone planning a move to Oman by answering the questions below?

What are the cheapest cities in Oman?

Why are they cheap? What singles them out as a city where the cost of living is low?

What is the average budget for one person living in these cities?

Is it easy to find a job as an expat in these cities? What is the overall quality of life like?

Are they expat friendly? Would you recommend these cities to someone looking to settle in Oman?

Please share your experience,

Bhavna

If you talk about Muscat so your best choice is Muscat suburbs like Mobela , Khoudh , Hail and Mawaleh ( In fact Mobela is the cheapest especially the area neighbouring Nesto HyperMarket . You can compare the rent between those areas and Qurum , MQ or Ruwi

You can rent nice apartment with 100 -150 OMR ( sometimes including electricity bills or water ) + 60 for your transportation + 100 for food ( Average ) but if you are sharing the rent it will be less

For the shopping almost price are the same in all hypermarkets except in AlFair
Transportation is almost the same

Finding job Muscat has the greatest chances in whole Oman as it is the Capital

Thank you, flying_sahdow for your feedback.

Thank you Ms. Bhavna, appreciated your way of approaching people & sharing things within OMAN.!

Hai
The cheapest cities in oman are not to be Muscat and salala. We may say Nizwa and sohar. Because Muscat is capital city and salala is tourist city. The International Airport is available only in Muscat and salala.
It will be 1 and half an hour to reach Muscat from Nizwa and two hours from sohar to Muscat.
If we say within Muscat, the area would start from Ruwi and end at Barkha.
Al khuwair is the costliest place and we can get cheap accommodation in mobilla.

The reason for cheap is the area is remote to reach other places like retail community. Where As we can take materials for our day to day need from cheap cities too in walkable area.

Average monthly budget would be depends upon condition
If company provided room, transport and  food. Omr 50 is much enough for single person.
Room rent would be omr 50 for shared accommodation. Food cost would be omr 30, if join in shared mess.

No. Getting job in less attracted cities is quite difficult for expatriates
Moreover government is promoting to engage Omanis for jobs. Even in Muscat too.

ahakkeem wrote:

Hai
The cheapest cities in oman are not to be Muscat and salala. We may say Nizwa and sohar. Because Muscat is capital city and salala is tourist city. The International Airport is available only in Muscat and salala.
It will be 1 and half an hour to reach Muscat from Nizwa and two hours from sohar to Muscat.
If we say within Muscat, the area would start from Ruwi and end at Barkha.
Al khuwair is the costliest place and we can get cheap accommodation in mobilla.

The reason for cheap is the area is remote to reach other places like retail community. Where As we can take materials for our day to day need from cheap cities too in walkable area.

Average monthly budget would be depends upon condition
If company provided room, transport and  food. Omr 50 is much enough for single person.
Room rent would be omr 50 for shared accommodation. Food cost would be omr 30, if join in shared mess.

No. Getting job in less attracted cities is quite difficult for expatriates
Moreover government is promoting to engage Omanis for jobs. Even in Muscat too.

I do agree with with some points only but its not OMR 30 for food ( I cant imagine it  even in Wusta ). You can be away from Muscat but think about the following points ; 

- If in Muscat itself is hard to get job, just imagine it with rural or interior areas you are talking about. What kind of job someone will find there

- Let's assume that you got a job in Muscat where will you rent ? and what type of room that you can find with 50 OMR ( I bet its a miserable one )

In all cases we have to think about where is the work place and where to rent and everybody know how are the roads in Muscat in peak hours. Therefor we have to count from all aspects

I lived at Rustaq few few weeks but unfortunately it was so boring and I couldn't bear such a live.
Nevertheless, it's cheaper than Muscat but for me it was lacking most of the parameters that i put for my life.
On the other hand I live now at Muscat suburb precisely at Al Khoud. It satisfies me as it compromises between my parameters and my budget.
I can find variety of hyper markets, shopping attractions and the most important thing is I am not forced to drive my car for a single purchase.

What are the cheapest cities in Oman?  - In Ruwi, you will find a sharing accommodation in maximum 100 OMR which includes water and electricity bills.

Why are they cheap? What singles them out as a city where the cost of living is low? - Previously, it was business hub but now people are moving to other places, so rents went down. Moreover, hypermarkets and food outlets are easily accessible.

What is the average budget for one person living in these cities? - 170 OMR per person is the maximum expenditure including all the expenses.

Is it easy to find a job as an expat in these cities? What is the overall quality of life like? - Job is quite difficult but if you have some professional skills then you will fetch one easily.

Are they expat friendly? Would you recommend these cities to someone looking to settle in Oman? - Muscat, Oman is the best place in GCC for expats, localites are extremely nice and helpful.

Rest, you can contact me on - ***, in case you you need some more information.

Thanks
RJ

Moderated by Diksha 5 years ago
Reason : Please do not share your contact details on the forum for your own safety.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct