Guest house rental and neighborhoods/

Hello

My name is Destin and I am entertaining a job opportunity in Nairobi.

Looking for a quiet a safe place to stay. Around good people.
I work in the Ad agency / Creative Tech word.

Work is around the edge of the Hurlingham Estate.

Likely would have to secure / purchase a decent used Defender for transportation to and from work.
Work will cover housing and transportation until I can find a proper place. However I would prefer to have a head start.

Cheers

Destin

Hi Destin,

I dont have a place for you to stay but i have a car for sale:

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Please drop an advert in the classifieds. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hurlingham and neighbouring Kileleshwa are suitable areas.  Lots of apartments, which tend to be in walled compounds and often come with security.  Traffic tends to be very heavy in the area, so you would benefit from being as close a possible to work, otherwise you face spending hours per day in traffic - Nairobi is one of the most traffic congested cities in the world.  Gridlock is far from unusual.

"Likely would have to secure / purchase a decent used Defender for transportation"  Why?  You don't need a 4x4 for Nairobi - a normal car will be fine, much cheaper to run and will also cope with driving out of Nairobi and get you most places you need to go.  You only really need a 4x4 for safari, for example.  Avoid Land Rover as they aren't very reliable.  Get a Toyota.

Hi Destin,
I would avoid staying in Hurlingham; lots of air pollution, especially from buses and matatus since lots of bus stops are right outside residential gates. The closest area to Hurlingham I would suggest you consider would be areas off Dennis Pritt Road. This area is slightly greener, quieter, and you can easily find properties off a cul-de-sac. I aslo second Longonot62's recommendation for Kileleshwa.

Ann Sharon, most of Nairobi has a significant air pollution problem!  You can see it as you approach from Thika, as a brownish pall hanging over the entire city.