Want to relocate to Cuenta

I have recently retired from a long career in healthcare, and my wife is still currrently working in the same. We have fallen in love with the possibility of relocating to Cuenta. I am 58, she is 60. I feel that I am too young, and really not interested in full retirement yet, we don't have a huge savings, and I really don't want to start drawing my social security earlier than I have to. And my wife has clearly stated, the only way she is going to give up her job, and our healthcare benefits in the US , is if I find a job first in Cuenta! I put in 30 years in health care and I really want and need a change, and I don't need to make a lot of money if I am going to live in Cuenta. Just not willing to move without securing a job first (and apparently, if I want to stay married!). I was a physician and worked in a large healthcare system that trained residents, so I have really done about all that I could accomplish in my field. Just not really wanting the stress of that any longer. So with a lot of really good transferable skills, I am really open to any ideas for employment so that I can move me and my wife to Cuenca ASAP!

I am retired, 60, and moving to Cuenca. Why not just do something similar to what you currently are doing. I have no clue on the job market in that region for your profession but I am sure you will have no problem. I am sure the hospital or med school there would gladly help.

Have you visited Cuenca yet?

A professional visa might be easy for you to obtain, much more flexible than an investor visa

Yes, I think your skills and knowledge as a physician would be sought after, especially in training medical students.

Also, there are lots of expats that seek English-speaking physicians.

Pay is good for Ecuador, but really low compared to the USA

How's your Spanish?

Hi,

I currently live in Olon (near Montanita). I have been to Cuenca many times and it is a great place. Nice choice. I am considering living there in the rainy season myself. A few things to think about. Do you speak Spanish fluently? If not, getting a job with any type of Spanish company will be very difficult. Not to sound negative, just being practical. Furthermore, what kind of visa are you planning getting? You can not work legally in Ecuador on a retirement visa. I am not retired so I have an investor visa which is now a 40k investment with the Ecuadorian government (just went up from 27k). But I can work legally here on that visa.

I think your best bet would be working for another expat. I know you want to get out of healthcare, but there a lot of expats in Cuenca because the city has good healthcare/hospital....unlike where I live. Doing house calls for check-ups for expats would be a way to avoid speaking Spanish fluently and working under the table. Alot of people do not have their cedula which you need to have in order to get health insurance through the government here. Something to consider. I hope this helps.