Being convincing to an employer in Costa Rica

Hello everyone,

Finding a job in Costa Rica is no easy feat. From applying for a job all the way to job interviews, the etiquette can be different abroad. Specially job interviews, that can already be pretty daunting, can feel even worse when set in a whole new country. If you've gone through a job interview in Costa Rica before, how about giving a few tips to someone who might be preparing for one?

Do interviews usually take place in a formal or casual setting in Costa Rica? Do you have any pointers for job interviews that take place over a lunch or dinner?

From application all the way to the job interview, what is essential to make an candidate stand out?

Culturally speaking, are there specific do's and don'ts? What is the general take on bringing a parent on the job interview or a gift to the interviewer?

Can you tell us a little about your experience? What worked and what did not work for you?

How important is it to have a solid professional network prior to a job interview?

Please share your experience,

Priscilla

I wish I could help. Not something I would ever consider. Would you actually take a job at the wages they pay here if you got one? I couldn't imagine dealing with traffic to go to work for less than I made at 17 years old. Just curious.
R

Buenas,most people move to Costa Rica to retire,or in some cases to start a business.Rarely people come here to work.Low wages,and almost zero benefits are the reason.I retired at age 43 so I wasn't eligible for my company pension or social security yet.I wanted permanent residency here so I became an inversionista.I decided to get into pesca deportiva (sportfishing)and ran charters out of Playa Flamingo for 13 years.I also became an employer.I employed 3 guys in my business.I paid their Seguros Voluntarios through the Caja de Seguridad Sociales every month.they worked very hard for relatively low but competitive wages for that industry.I paid them every two weeks.I also by law paid them a bonus each Christmas of one months salary,plus two weeks paid vacation a year.If you decide to come here and start a business,this is one of the things you need to consider as part of your overhead.In pesca deportiva employee overhead is just a start.My boat (32ft.Phoenix twin diesel ) was subject to fees,licenses,and insurance by Incopesca,the Costa Rican agency that handles boating,sportfishing,and sailing.On top of that,regular maintenance and the high cost of diesel was not cheap.All that said,it was probably the most rewarding time of my life,it was so much fun.We were very successful and made excellent money those years.It was alot of work though.Now I've retired from that business,and am now a pensionado,surfing,and still fishing,,pura vida...

Very difficult to get work here, even ticos can't get it a lot of times.
And it's mostly illegal for gringos to work here until you become a permanent resident at least which takes 4? or 5 years or so.
Sometimes you can get work through a sponsor but they have to show that a Tico can't do the job... but that's pretty hard to do, too, from what I hear.

The first thing to take seriously are the visa laws.  Asking about interview etiquette puts the ox before the cart.

How about a job as a paid poster for a Costa Rica forum.

I mean I could be completely wrong.....but, does it strike you as strange that a person who has been a member here since 2013 and has 38222 posts is asking this question?

I, presume that the O.P. has also posted the question to all other country forums as a way to bring this subject to the attention of new members...once again.

Yep website promotor

Hello everyone,

Just to inform you that Priscilla is part of the Expat.com Team and this topic is one of the many topics which are launched regularly by our team. The purpose of these topics is to create conversations around subjects which are of concern to the life of an expatriate and may help them in settling abroad.

Thank you,

Diksha
Expat.com Team

So... let me get this straight. The forum admins posted this question, knowing full well that it is illegal for most gringos to work in CR?  What sort of nonsense is that?  They owe all of us an aology, who took our time to try to educate someone who seemed clueless.

I agree with BlueRidgeBoy.  Very misleading. And, again, legal questions can't be answered by a survey of opinions and thoughts and feelings.  Ask a lawyer, ask an accountant, or read actual LEGAL newsletters and web pages. How I feel about working or how to present well at an interview? Seriously?

That's why I posted my initial reply, clearly the poster is asking a question they already know the answer to and in a very misleading manor.

You guys need to realize that this is a forum designed to make money and so they have employees whose job it is to encouraging postings that will encourage more posting.

If you look at Priscilla's and Diksha's icons/photos, they both have wrenches on them which means they are moderators here. Some moderators are paid and some are unpaid as far as I know (not sure but pretty sure).

They are trying to create dialogue regarding things that might be of interest to others who come to this forum.

But if you don't want to respond to their inquiries, there's no law saying you have to.

No law saying I can't say their tactics are as deceptive as a Costa Rican cab driver :-)

Mods paid and unpaid, please free to disable my account, I am getting sick of the notices in my inbox anyway.