Being convincing to an employer in Bahrain

Hello everyone,

Finding a job in Bahrain is no easy feat. From applying for a job all the way to job interviews, the etiquette can be different abroad. Specially job interviews, that can already be pretty daunting, can feel even worse when set in a whole new country. If you've gone through a job interview in Bahrain before, how about giving a few tips to someone who might be preparing for one?

Do interviews usually take place in a formal or casual setting in Bahrain? Do you have any pointers for job interviews that take place over a lunch or dinner?

From application all the way to the job interview, what is essential to make an candidate stand out?

Culturally speaking, are there specific do's and don'ts? What is the general take on bringing a parent on the job interview or a gift to the interviewer?

Can you tell us a little about your experience? What worked and what did not work for you?

How important is it to have a solid professional network prior to a job interview?

Please share your experience,

Priscilla

Honestly, some prefer Filipinos because they are fast learners and hardworkings. Based on most employers I have talked to.  If employers are hindi, Urdu, kerala, they prefer on the same nationality. Language barriers is really difficult working here in middle east. Other employers prefer bilingual (Arabic/English) . Of course I understand because it would be much easier to communicate if we soeak the same language. So it would be an advantage to job seekers if they speak multi language also read and write.

For experience, you can ask for a high salary or you know your worth, they know your worth. If they know you are fresher, entry level or have less experience on the job you are applying, they will offer bargain salary which is very disgusting sometimes. Even you are skilled, some would offer a very very low salary 150bd or 180bd for a highly skilled applicant. Thats it. No allowances or others. All in. When they know you are visit visa, they will chop down your salary even more.

Applying job is so hard here in Bahrain IF you are seeking for HIGH salary 250bd above for skilled applicants. There are bunch of jobs if you are okay with 180bd below all in. Some offer 150-180bd plus accomodation allowance and transport. Thats it. You will be lucky enough to find an employer who can offer you high salary. Target big companies. Well stablished companies. They will offer better benefits almost same as local bahrainis salary and benefits. Otherwise, there is always a discrimination. When you are not arab nor Bahraini, your working hours will be different. 9hrs to 10hrs. No holiday off. So beware to these type of employers.

For interviews, some will jusy do the interview thru phone. So stay alert always when you are sending resumes. They may call on any day on any time. They can even just hire you thru phone when they like your cv and portfolio. Whatsapp here in Bahrain is necessary. So better have a whatsapp account. Other employers and companies just post their numbers in whatsapp for you to contact them. Keep looking for other jobs and don't rely to what employers say verbally and leave you hanging if they don't contact you after successful interviews or hired verbally. Until you see in your eyes the contract offer letter then consider it sealed and your working visa is being processed.

Bahrain Expatriates website have bunch of job offers daily. It will be a big help on job hunting there. As well facebook groups in Bahrain, Linked and indeed. I find these apps very useful and important in job hunting.

If you are not arab, Be wise in dealing salary! Goodluck.

I think your post is applied too generically to the overall market in Bahrain.

You need to distinguish between white collar and blue collar jobs.  And then either of these falls into skilled and unskilled.  And finally, you need to distinguish between small local companies, large local companies, government and multinationals.  All of these categorizations will change your work experience.

The salary ranges that you described are for blue collar jobs.  A maid in Bahrain gets paid anywhere from 150 to 250 depending on her "experience" or "skill".  A waitress maybe 150 to 300.

But you simply cannot compare her with a white collar finance manager for a large company.  That person will be in a completely different salary range and may not face most of what you described.

As an example, when I first moved to Bahrain back in 2014 as a non Arab working for a multinational, I was paid in the region of 8000 BD plus (you can look it up on the forums in my earlier posts).  I had Arabs and locals reporting into me.  I did not face any discrimination whatsoever whether in working hours, labor disputes or anything else for that matter.  Neither did friends working in other large companies in Bahrain.   Yes, you can be laid off by even reputable companies but the difference is that they don't infringe on your rights and pay you what the law says you should be paid.  This can happen anywhere in the world i.e. losing your job.

If you work for smaller companies or operations then yes, your experience would not be so good.  But being reasonable, Bahrain is still way better in rights and process than say, Saudi.