Mature age Expats

Hi I'm Carolyn,
I'm from Brisbane, Australia and my husband and I are in our 50's.
We fly into Shanghai Friday week!! Its getting very real and a little bit scary.
I love meeting people of all ages, nationalities and learning about their experiences.
Though, I am curious if there other expats that are in an older 40+ demographic from Australia?
I will have a lot of spare time as I have recently left my job to support hubby in this new adventure in Shanghai.
Really looking forward to building a social network with positive and genuine expats.

Well, welcome to China. Brisbane is very lovely. You picked the wrong location dear. You should have gone to Zhuhai. It is very similar to Brisbane.

There are many, many of us older expats in China. I am in my 60's and I don't feel at all like I am "over the hill". So don't worry about it. You need to crack open some bottles of red wine and eat some of that delicious seafood. That will fix you right up, I'll tell you what.

Shanghai is a very Western city. If you are having a hard go at it, I'd be surprised. It reminds me of Sydney Australia more than anything else.

I would suggest that you go slow, and take your time. Try eating some steamed dumplings and some street food. Smile a lot. People respond to that. If you need help, be soft and kind and ask. The Chinese people are some of the friendliest in the world.

Myself, I like to meet people and when someone is walking their dog,(or cat) I like to go over and pet them and try to practice my Chinese. Many times I am surprised that they can speak a little English. Make friends.

Remember, it's the the place that makes a home, it's the people.

I am so happy that you came to China, and I know that you must feel a little out of sorts, but please do not worry. That will disappear soon enough. In the mean time, eat, drink, smile and make friends. You might be surprised how easy it gets over time.

Hi Caroline,
My name is Aoife and I'll be moving to Shanghai in August. I'll be turning 50 in October so that puts us in the same age bracket. It is daunting but very exciting.
Good luck with your move . Stay in touch
and let me know how you are getting on.
Best Regards,

Hi Aoife,
Yes, please keep in touch. Please let me know when you arrive in Shanghai.
Thanks
Carolyn

Hi im soon to be 50 and will be heading to Shenyang In June.I always like new people to chat to.

To ALL:

Vannrox is right, it's the attitude you choose to take not the place or surroundings.  If you are positive and upbeat you can make it work. China will test you at times but then you are a test for the "Chinese" as well.  Be kind, be patient, don't get stressed and most important keep your priorities in order...come to learn and you will be well rewarded.  I am in my early 60's and have lived in China for more than a decade.  Most of my time has been spent in the northeast...but I began life here in the south Guangdong.  Zhuhai is great if you like hot and humid...but Changchun (where I live) is good too if you like cold and dry.  It's up to you.

The older Chinese can be very curious and lovely.  The young ones are most engaging...life here is what you make it.  BTW if you are looking for work, I'm looking for teachers LOL  gotta put it out there...LOL

I wish you all the best!

LRai

[Post under review]