Expatriating back to the US

Greetings. I am looking to expatriate back to the US with my husband and children who are South African (current location) but I have no idea where to even start. Which visa do we apply for? Do we hire an immigration attorney? Any advice would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum  :)

Information can be found in the USA Guide located under "Discover" at the top of this page.Perhaps contact the nearest US Embassy for information too.
Try this website  www.uscis.gov

hi

You did mention that you wish to REPATRIATE BACK TO THE USA.
Are you a US Citizen?

Thanks

Thank you for responding. Yes I'm a US citizen but my husband and kids aren't.

Are your children under 18?  Did you report their births to the US Embassy? 

If the answer is no, it would be best if you contact USCIS in South Africa for your inquiries.

Children
Check on USCIS.gov if you are eligible to transfer US citizenship. If so, follow the instructions - file birth abroad with nearest US embassy, apply for passports and Social Security numbers.
If not - how old are they?

Husband
Travel.state.gov is probably the more user friendly of the two official sites. It walks you through CR1 spousal visa step by step including forms and fees.
When you get to Affidavit of Support - read everything twice. You can use qualified cosponsors or self sponsor with assets.

Ask questions when you get stuck in the mire.

Thank you for thletting helpful information.

My kids are 8 months, 4 and 14 but I have not been back to the US in 30 years so I doubt they qualify for automatic citizenship.

I'm from Springfield Illonis but planning on settling in Alaska. Any idea how long the process will take?

"I doubt" does not do anyone any good. Do your research.

AK is a nice place if you can handle weather and cost of living.

Current CR1 processing times for EU applicants run 12-18 months.

Kamoshopho wrote:

Thank you for thletting helpful information.

My kids are 8 months, 4 and 14 but I have not been back to the US in 30 years so I doubt they qualify for automatic citizenship.

I'm from Springfield Illonis but planning on settling in Alaska. Any idea how long the process will take?

As someone else mentioned, do not just assume, you need to get informed!!!
Having been out of the States for 30 years is not relevent if you still have US citizenship. To pass on your citizenship it does come in question if you spent at least 5 years in the US after the age of 14.  I am giving some information below from a government website:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel … broad.html

Birth Abroad in Wedlock to a U.S. Citizen and an Alien
A person born abroad in wedlock to a U.S. citizen and an alien acquires U.S. citizenship at birth if the U.S. citizen parent has been physically present in the United States or one of its outlying possessions prior to the person's birth for the period required by the statute in effect when the person was born (INA 301(g), formerly INA 301(a)(7).) For birth on or after November 14, 1986, the U.S. citizen parent must have been physically present in the United States or one of its outlying possessions for five years prior to the person's birth, at least two of which were after the age of fourteen. For birth between December 24, 1952 and November 13, 1986, the U.S. citizen parent must have been physically present in the United States or one of its outlying possessions for 10 years prior to the person's birth, at least five of which were after the age of 14 for the person to acquire U.S. citizenship at birth. The U.S. citizen parent must be the genetic or the gestational parent and the legal parent of the child under local law at the time and place of the child's birth to transmit U.S. citizenship.

NOTE – MEANING OF “IN WEDLOCK”: a person is considered to be born in wedlock for the purposes of citizenship acquisition when the genetic and/or gestational parents are legally married to each other at the time of the person's conception or birth or within 300 days of the termination of the marriage by death or divorce, and both parents are the legal parents of the child under local law at the time and place of birth.