Best big little city near a beach?

Big cities don't work well with beaches.  So,  maybe within an hour or less by car-distance not drive time.

Big little city I would define as 300 - 500k. In Luzon or Viasayans

Lipa City 40 minutes to beaches in Layia
Plus cooler like Tagaytay
Plantacion Meridienne subdivision is a perfect place in that area!

Btw I am from Salem, OR
Currently in Quezon City

Please tell me more about Lipa City. Man I'd be at the beach working out at least once in the mornings. Probably falling asleep under the stars. Hoping more will expand on this topic. Beaches. Thanks

SirDwight wrote:

Please tell me more about Lipa City. Man I'd be at the beach working out at least once in the mornings. Probably falling asleep under the stars. Hoping more will expand on this topic. Beaches. Thanks

I will tell you. Overcrowded. Dirty. Polluted. Lipa City is town that you want to avoid, believe me.

sekmet wrote:

Big cities don't work well with beaches.  So,  maybe within an hour or less by car-distance not drive time.

Big little city I would define as 300 - 500k. In Luzon or Viasayans

I suggest Bacolod or Dumaguete. Laoag City is very nice also, but there is not so many beautiful beaches like in south.

You don't want to live in Lipa City but the area immediately around it is great! Two decent malls for shopping! Climate is hard to beat! I.m talking from experience! But I'm thinking Cordova would fit yours needs well! It has some of Mactan's beaches but all on the island are an easy reach in under 40 minutes. Most in10 to 20!

Man Thanks, I appreciate the info. I'm looking up the areas you and Eduardo mentioned. What is a Mactan beach? also, mentioned immediatley around Lipa City, north, south, Etc. or is Cardova the place near you've mentioned.  Thanks SirDwight

Edurado001, excellent! Will check the places out you recommended. Man, not trying to live in city, want to get out of the hood. a hour or less distance to beach, great!!  Eduardo011, is there a reason you recommend, Bacolod, and Bumaguete?

Beaches here around Cebu are hit or miss due to the coral reefs and rocks, mangrove zones, and pollution anywhere near a city or resorts.  It's hard to find a nice clean sandy beach going into the ocean, that is also near a city.  I would probably avoid Mactan Island as the the waters tend to be polluted from all the resorts and industrial waste, shipping, etc. Same anywhere near Cebu City. 

For nice clean beaches on or near Cebu I would recommend Moalboal on the west side of the island. It's a 2 1/2 hour drive south from Cebu. There are also beaches going south from there.

Bantayan Island, at the north of Cebu is even better - clean, beautiful sand, and uncrowded, but kind of quiet as it's not near a big city and you have to take a ferry to get there.

Leaving Cebu, but not too far (2 hours by fast ferry) is the city of Tagbilaran, on Bohol. 20 min to the south of Tagbilaran on Panglao Island there are some very nice beaches, and it's kind of quiet (except for touristy Alona Beach). I lived there a few years ago and found Panglao very peaceful but the new international airport may have changed things.

Going south from Cebu across the water to the island of Negros, I would definitely second the vote for Dumaguete - it has great beaches to the south of town and Dumaguete itself is a nice city with lots of universities and expats. A bit congested in the city center but otherwise quite nice..

And Boracay might be really nice now since they cleaned it up.

pncyclist! My man, that is just what we are looking to know. All the forum comments have been helpful, and you've provided options. Every place has good and bad. Seeking your advice, which personal favorite city(s) would you suggest we narrow our searches down to, as safe, cost effective places for home base as we travel? SirDwight

great thread ,what im interested in also .

Just want to thank you again, for the way you laid out the beaches. First time it's made sense. Only because I'm retired military (USAF) architectural engineer, so forgive me for appreciating  specificity. Man I over organize everything.
We're not locked into any one place yet. You said you lived in Tagbilaran City, Bohol. Peaceful, nice and near a new international airport. Would that not work, man why"d you move?  You lived on Panglao Island, or just visit the  beach there from the city?
We've been blessed to be pretty well self funded, thus I'd really appreciate some thoughts from you to help us with the cost projection. Bottom line, a small, conservative place for home base is whats up, because traveling is the plan.
Holla Back
Dwight

Hi Dwight. Thanks, yes I'm the same way, haha. As to a recommendation, I would probably try out Dumaguete or Bohol, meaning Panglao, although that whole island of Bohol is nice (big) and has a lot to see. Spend a week in Panglao, you will love it. Peaceful, great restaurants and lots of expats. I'm a cyclist and could ride around the island of Panglao in a couple of hours, then I would stop at a restaurant for a snack. Great place.

I have two kids in school here in Cebu, as well as my GF (older student, haha). I do it for the schools, which are better here without a doubt.. but I am really tired of this city. Might move back there when she's done next year. But I also spend half my time in the US and travel. I have used Cebu as a home base for several years to see a lot of SE Asia. It's worked out well, and we're going to Vietnam next month.

Good luck, feel free to PM me.

John

Thanks again, John. Seems we are both adventurers. What's your wife's major?
Going to research the new locations. This information has narrowed our, entry point home base selections.
Hey Man, there are a few more things next on my costing list, i'd like to impose upon your knowledge to get, I've been Googling crazy, but they are all trying to sell so it's experience I trust.
In your opinion John; Where's  the best, safest for the buck places to lease when we land?
Got a "bad ass" 2001 Dodge Ram, 3/4 cam, glass pack headers, icy white, but leaving it here (WHINY). What's the auto purchase wisdom there? A motorcycle is good, to start.
Lastly, for some reason a good (Working) contact number for the Veterans Admin. Philippines seems to be a mission impossible movie. Would you in any way convenient, help?
Appreciate your time
Dwight

Sorry Dwight, we have been busy this week with school ending. I bought a small newer car (3 months old) when I moved here 4 years ago. Under warranty, reliable, no issues. Don't buy a car that's used unless it has a clear service history. Asian cars carry low taxes, American or Euro are expensive. Forget driving a guzzler here - theres no point with small roads, slow speeds and congestion everywhere. Diesels emit pollution. Motorbikes convenient but dangerous. I sold my 650cc bike - too risky, especially if you are in an accident and need urgent care. I'm afraid I have no idea how to contact the VA.

Thanks for your help John. I trust the school endings went well. I'm going to do like you, get a small, newer, car to get started. Not a flashy car guy. Especially, if we start in Tagbilaran  Bohol, or Dumagette  Negros a bicycle will be good exercise.
Be blessed
Dwight

If you are looking for a big little city Dumaguete or Tagbilaran do not fall in that category for me.  Tag is nice and has good access to some great beaches on Panglao but at about 60k was just too small.  Duma has a pop of about 140k and the local beaches are just ok.  You can go up to Valencia above Duma if you want cooler but to me 87F isn't all that hot, rather be on the beach. 

I would recommend either Bacolod or Iloilo City.  Both are at about 400-500k and they are a 1 hr ferry ride apart.  Both have bad traffic but I have heard Bacolod is worse than Iloilo.  Both have great festivals, MassKara and Dinagyang.  Both have good to great fishing if you are into that.  Both are also a quick hop over to Guimeras to sample the sweetest mangoes in the Philippines, good beaches there too.  Both also have international airports, Bacolod's going to Seoul and Iloilo's going to Hong Kong and Singapore.  Both are a 1 hr flight to Manila where the VA is located.

Another option would be Batangas or maybe Naga on Luzon.

Regarding a vehicle I would wait until you get here and find a location.  Transferring registration to a different region can be very frustrating I have heard.  You also should experience how the Filipino drives first before you make a decision. :-D  Some of the roads remind me of the switchback roads of West Virginia but add in bumper to bumper traffic going both ways with 100cc cycles with side cars in the mix!

Check out Roxas City just building SM Mall has a Robinsons Gasiano Mall and 2 Citi Malls lots of beach 1.5 hrs to Boracay Or Iloilo 3 Modern Hospitals

Perfect!! This forum and you gentlemen have really given us info to narrow our search. Buzz words, VA, airport, beaches, travel access,and especially hospital. Yea,especially hosp. Man I'm just getting back because I (huge ego) strained a intercostal muscle, got to lessen weight, increase reps. workout like my age. Not. Anyway!!
really appreciate the tips. Think of anything else, please holla
Dwight

Mati city,davao oriental,
small city ER and nccc mall ,15 minutes drive from beach resort Blue bles ,no waste from the resort go's in the sea and have great restaurant ,jet ski's canoo's , water play ground floating  and only 600 peso a day to rent cotage.rooms go from 6000 to 2500 peso .
there are other resorts to but this one is just great.
love Mati becorse no trafic jams ,market ,bus terminal and groserie shoping 2 minutes walk, hospital 10 minutes walk,very low on crime to very safe here .
for surfers there is Dahikan (Mensi beach resort)
live here 3 yrs now and am very happyyyyy here.
look it up on youtube and google maps.
great neigbors to after 1900 hrs no noice polution.
we rent (wen we moved in newly build) house 1 bedroom 6000 peso.
i think all this is hard to beat hahaha

greets Dirk

"big little city" - What do you mean ? Big or little ? City or town ?

VadimDiver, the OP mentioned a city size of around 400-500k.  Some people consider a big city being 1 million+ population while a little city can be around 100k.  It is all how you look at it.

I've been told that the island of Bohol has some good beaches and chocolate hills. Is Tagbilaran City close enough to some good beaches? Has anyone been there who can tell us what it's like there?

I would agree on Bacolod - has larger provincial govt there, nice park and museums, good schools, including a branch of Lasalle (also a really excellent museum), call centres that pick up the educated, English speaking Uni population, good SM Mall and some others, and is ensconced in the midst of primarily sugar cane production, which seems to render it clean and green always. Flying into that airport is always a pleasure for me. Also, much cheaper than Cebu (I'm jealous). I'm tempted to move there, but have not exhausted myself in Cebu yet...

Bantayan Island was mentioned, and its a beauty, although what I would consider isolated. The ferry ride is 2+ hours. I have used a small plane service before going to Siquihor, and they also fly to Bantayan. It's a fun ride and pretty fast. It will give you a view of the Philippines that is very unlike being inside a big commercial jetliner or even larger prop plane (their fleet used to service mining areas and crews. Their map can be found here:  http://www.airjuan.com/airjuan-destinations.php

Jebster wrote:

I've been told that the island of Bohol has some good beaches and chocolate hills. Is Tagbilaran City close enough to some good beaches? Has anyone been there who can tell us what it's like there?

If you like small cities Tagbilaran is good.  It was my second choice but I wanted better medical facilities and more variety in local shopping.  It is around 60k population and people are very friendly.  Panglao Island which has some very good beaches is reached via 1 of 2 bridges from Tag.  The beaches are within a 20 minute ride of Tag, with the international airport on the south tip of Panglao.

Thanks for the information Hobbit ... I appreciate your help and insights on where the cities and beaches are. Panglao Island sounds like a place to check out when I get a chance.
Thanks again.

Hobbit112 wrote:
Jebster wrote:

If you like small cities Tagbilaran is good.  It was my second choice but I wanted better medical facilities and more variety in local shopping.  It is around 60k population and people are very friendly.  Panglao Island which has some very good beaches is reached via 1 of 2 bridges from Tag.  The beaches are within a 20 minute ride of Tag, with the international airport on the south tip of Panglao.

Agree with the above..

Panglao is awesome and easy to reach from the Tagbilaran area. It's such a peaceful little island compared to Cebu. I lived there for a few months and biked all over that little island. There was hardly any traffic if you stayed off the one main road going north-south, used by all the hotel shuttles. I would be there now except my woman and her kids are in school here in Cebu and good schools are the priority for us. I expect it is somewhat busier now with the new international airport having just been completed.

Panglao has some wonderful beaches.  Alona Beach is the tourist hotspot but not that good for swimming, sea grass and urchins.  Further south are more local beaches good for swimming and day use.  On the west side of the island is another good beach near the north and closer to Tag.  FYI my info is from before they built the new international airport at the south end of Panglao which opened last year.

Panglao is good.Subic bay is good m.there's camagayan beach there n beautiful mountain land there where u can buy a house..baguionhas the perfect temperature though..but no beach..I loved south cebu .mthe whole area is nice with beaches..but no big cities down there....saleendong beach I'm siquijor is a must see if there...kawasan falls n moalboal whote beach if ur in south cebu..I been allover these past 10 months..boracay has great beach but priced way higher.

Houston Chris ... I liked Siquior Island ... I stayed at a resort for 2 weeks and loved it. Now I'm looking to retire somewhere in the Philippines, in either Manila, Cebu or Davao City. If you don't mind my asking, if you were to retire to one of those cities, which one would you choose and why? The beach visits will be after I get there. Thanks.
John B.

Jebster wrote:

Houston Chris ... I liked Siquior Island ... I stayed at a resort for 2 weeks and loved it. Now I'm looking to retire somewhere in the Philippines, in either Manila, Cebu or Davao City. If you don't mind my asking, if you were to retire to one of those cities, which one would you choose and why? The beach visits will be after I get there. Thanks.
John B.

My pick would be Davao City.  Cleaner, less polluted than the other two with access to some good beaches a 20 min ferry ride away. 

Traveling outside of the city to see other local sights not as easy/safe as the other two though in my opinion.

Hobbit112 ... How dangerous is the Mindinao area on Davao Island? I've read that it used to be a dangerous city/area. Could you please shed some light on thi for me? Thank you.

Jebster wrote:

Hobbit112 ... How dangerous is the Mindinao area on Davao Island? I've read that it used to be a dangerous city/area. Could you please shed some light on thi for me? Thank you.

You've got it switched around, it should be Davao area on Mindanao Island.  I personally don't know as I haven't visited Mindanao yet but from what I have heard the immediate Davao area is one of the safest areas on Mindanao.  There are several members who reside in that area so hopefully they will chime in with their opinions.

Though as I wouldn't classify Davao as a 'big little city' but it is in fact a large city this subject should be or may already is being discussed in a separate thread.

Thank you, Hobbit112 ... I appreciate your information.

Most of the nice beaches in Bohol/Panglao, and other areas are privately owned by resorts,  Alona Beach is very commercialized, as was Boracay, with something similar to a boardwalk, except you are walking on the beach(Very congested due to Chinese tourists, especially Boracay).  Personally, Moalboal was pretty nice, but it seems every city center I encountered on my trip, the air pollution was bad to the point I was wheezing.  And, I have never had any issue living in the US.

Bacong, Dauin, and points south had very nice beaches.  My favorite island was Siquijor, with the best beaches on the southern end of the island.  Traffic is fairly light, roads are good, and is a short ferry ride to Dumaguete.  My GF and I snorkelled right off the beach at Coco Grove Resort, and the coral reefs were awesome, fish everywhere.  If you scuba, there is Apo Island.

My suggestion is to do an extended visit, rent a motorbike, and see for yourself.  I spent 8 weeks there, and I will probably be living in my GF's city in Ormoc, Leyte, a 2.5 hour fast ferry from Cebu.  Ormoc is like LA in that it is surrounded by mountains on 3 sides, and had a visible smog layer.  Two malls are in the city, May find a place up the mountain, where the air is fresh.