Test for Malaysian Driver Licence

My UK driving licence is due for renewal and since I no longer have a UK permanent address in UK and under the lastest regulations it seems impossible to renew.  Additional information now needed when applying for renewal are passport details and National Insurance number and apparently it is possible/likely that DVLA will check to ensure you are a full UK resident. Can also run into problem with obtaining Car Rental Insurance if wanting to rent car in UK on visit since the insurance regulations relating to car rental also require UK permanent address.
Might therefore decide to take Malaysian Driving test, has anyone done this ? if so your experiences/advices most welcome.

i am interested to know as well since old rule of driving on a international license is no more ... I would like to get a Malaysian Driving License .. How tough is it and what all formalities are theree ...

As far as I know, you can't just go and take the test without having taken the driving class. I hope that has been changed, but was the case when a friend looked into last year.

Yes, I think you are correct and I think the course is quite expensive - RM1700 - 2000.

manukes wrote:

Yes, I think you are correct and I think the course is quite expensive - RM1700 - 2000.

That's what my friend found regarding his daughter, he was able to convert his license (as was I) back when they were still converting US/UK/... licenses. But since his daughter was still on a visitor's visa (since is on a work permit) they refused to convert her. Her US license has since expired so she's not been driving.

This is what is posted on the JPJ website

The Road Transport Department of Malaysia suspends the conversion of foreign driving licence to Malaysia driving licence effective 24 September 2018.

However, diplomatic pass holders and Singapore driving licence holders (Malaysians who convert their driving licences to obtain Singapore driving licences) are exempted from the ruling.

Foreign driving licence holders must use International Driving Permit together with their respective domestic driving licences to drive in Malaysia.

Alternatively, they are advised to apply for Malaysia driving licence via authorized driving schools based on existing procedures.

Note that there is no mention of a driving test, only authorized driving schools.

On a side note this article explains why JPJ suspended the ability to convert foreign licenses. JPJ Staff nabbed for involvement of illegal driving licenses

Here is the important part of the article.

“JPJ staff will process the licence applications by using the international conversion licence procedure, as though the applicant has had a driver's licence in another country. But our checks revealed that these individuals never have visited or worked in any foreign country or have they ever had a driver's licence of another country,”

manukes wrote:

My UK driving licence is due for renewal and since I no longer have a UK permanent address in UK and under the lastest regulations it seems impossible to renew.  Additional information now needed when applying for renewal are passport details and National Insurance number and apparently it is possible/likely that DVLA will check to ensure you are a full UK resident. Can also run into problem with obtaining Car Rental Insurance if wanting to rent car in UK on visit since the insurance regulations relating to car rental also require UK permanent address.
Might therefore decide to take Malaysian Driving test, has anyone done this ? if so your experiences/advices most welcome.

I think I probably stop driving also next year when mine runs out. My wife is still Ok on her licence for a couple of years yet.

Thanks for this post. Very interesting read .

manukes wrote:

As a British citizen, do you need to physically present in the UK before you can get your DL renewed?

post wrote:

[As a British citizen, do you need to physically present in the UK before you can get your DL renewed?

No, but you do need a permanent address which is I think the problem the OP has. I have been maintaining an address and UK tax residency because my limited company is UK based but as I plan to close the company this might well change, I really don't want to go through all the faff of a minimum number of compulsory lessons and jump through hoops to get a local licence and then have to repeat for motorcycle but guess I may have too.

Followings of this message string may find this interesting, while not directly related to my request for info about taking driving test here. I, just received thisfrom a Police friend of mine in the UK where I am planning to return for a visit later this year.

"Failure to inform the DVLA that you have changed address does not invalidate your UK licence or directly affect your entitlement to drive in the UK. The only offence you commit is failure to update your details, which can get you a fine of up to £1,000.

If your new address is outside the UK, all DVLA say (correctly) is that “If you're moving abroad… you can't register your new (foreign) address on your British driving licence” and that you should “contact the driving licence authority in your new country of residence”. Some countries will require you to apply for their licence and some will allow you to carry on using your UK licence with an address which is not correct (for a limited period of time).

You're not committing an offence while you are out of the UK (ie if you left without updating your address). Your licence doesn't “lapse” until the ten year renewal period kicks in, or when you reach 70 years old. DVLA advice is that late renewals will not prompt a retrospective fine and you can carry on driving while waiting for a licence to be updated providing you haven't been disqualified or judged medically unfit to drive in the meantime. The licence itself is just a periodically-renewable document that records your entitlement, with updates as necessary.

You only commit an offence if you return to the UK without updating your details to a valid UK address “at the earliest opportunity”, and you can use a temporary address for this. As long as you have proof you applied to make the change (which you can do on-line and usually get the license back within a week) you're covered. You're in limbo if your return to the UK is a touring visit that doesn't involve staying with a family member or at a fixed address, and the current rules assume that in those circumstances you should have applied for a driving licence in the country where you now live and use that for UK visits."

[/i][/i][/i]

The police friend advice is very misleading. What he is saying the police won't borher to arrest you....but in an accident you might face criminal charges.

You cannot renew your UK licence as a non resident. Having a tax resident company isn't good enough, you have to be physically present in the UK 185 days in a tax year to renew a DL. Stating you are  resident when you are not is criminal fraud. Also recently a new system to catch tax avoiders means you will get a nasty tax charge and investigation. Then they will know you have commited criminal fraud in your application when you say "not tax resident".

Not informing of a change of address is indeed a fine of a 1,000 pounds, but insurance is an issue. Eg car hire firms insurance wont be valid (some might be third party only) if you are caught using an invalid licence (which a UK one is if non resident). I found this out as Avis made me use my Malaysian licence due to this. UK one would make me uninsured and say if I had an accident....

It is a complicated area a normal copper wont understand.

Do note an IDP obtained while non resident is NOT valid. You have to get one in country of residence for your local licence.

Excellent information thank you.

Nemodot wrote:

.....you have to be physically present in the UK 185 days in a tax year to renew a DL....

Does this requirement apply to British citizens as well?

post wrote:
Nemodot wrote:

.....you have to be physically present in the UK 185 days in a tax year to renew a DL....

Anyone with a UK license

post wrote:
Nemodot wrote:

Yes for sure, I am Brit Citizen - and paying UK Tax.

I am presently doing my Malaysian Drivers license. There is no way to fast track the process.
- You register with a driving school, phone around in your area, price varies MR 1600 to 2000.
- For learners license, you must attend a 6 hour lecture, all in Malay (not a joke) so take seduku or a book with if you don't understand Malay, after that you must do a computer test, eye test, traffic signs etc etc. if you pass the computer test you get a learners license.
- Now you must do 2 sessions of driving in the testing ground, Maks speed 20km/h all in first gear, learning how to park, 3 point turn etc. Total time 5 hours (doesn't matter that you have been driving for 50 years.
- After this you must do another 2 sessions driving out on the street again 5 hours.
now you can go  for your actual driving test, if you pass you get a P licence that you must have for 2 years before you can get your actual driving license.

The joke is I drive my own car on my international license to the test but must still go through all this drama.

Yes. Totally.